veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    I agree with you. The term "artist" has been thrown around way to loosely in recent years. I think it's time to restore the term to it's original meaning, i.e. those who paint and sculpt. Musicians aren't artists . They. are. musicians. Writers arent' artists. They are writers. Skateboarders aren't artists either, but they may be creative. Many people in many fields can certainly be thought of as being creative.

This whole topic is a pet peeve of mine. I am a REAL artist. I actually use paintbrushes, paint, and canvas.
    OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM IN THE PRESENCE OF A REAL ARTIST. THIS IS SUCH AN HONOR. READING THIS FORUM IS NOW THAT MUCH MORE SPECIAL SINCE YOU HAVE ENLIGHTENED US, O WIELDER OF THE PAINTBRUSH.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I agree with you. The term "artist" has been thrown around way to loosely in recent years. I think it's time to restore the term to it's original meaning, i.e. those who paint and sculpt. Musicians aren't artists . They. are. musicians. Writers arent' artists. They are writers. Skateboarders aren't artists either, but they may be creative. Many people in many fields can certainly be thought of as being creative.

This whole topic is a pet peeve of mine. I am a REAL artist. I actually use paintbrushes, paint, and canvas.
    I believe that makes you a painter.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    OMG I CAN'T BELIEVE I AM IN THE PRESENCE OF A REAL ARTIST. THIS IS SUCH AN HONOR. READING THIS FORUM IS NOW THAT MUCH MORE SPECIAL SINCE YOU HAVE ENLIGHTENED US, O WIELDER OF THE PAINTBRUSH.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to come across as being arrogant.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I believe that makes you a painter.
    Yes, that's what I have to tell people.... that I'm a painter (which is O.K.), because if I say I'm an artist, they don't know what that means. The term is used for so many things these days that it has kind of lost it's meaning, in my opinion.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I think you're using the word "artist" rather loosely. Of course everyone has a creative talent at something. I have a feeling the OP is referring things directly related to "the arts", generally being visual arts, literature, performance art & music. To call an athlete or politician an artist is somewhat demeaning to those skilled in THE arts. Why steal their thunder?
    It was what I was intending, but I don't mind seeing other definitions of "Artist." It's interesting; words have different connotations to different people. I find it fascinating. *is a word nerd*

Well, I'm sorry to hear that it bothered you. I was merely curious, is all. Personally, I think it's great that you can paint--some of us *cough ME cough* can't use paint to save their lives.

...Words don't lose meaning, you know. They evolve. That's how language works. It's constantly changing.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    ISFP

I started drawing when I was 5 yrs. old with pencil and paper. I did my first watercolor in Grade 3 but hated the result(which discouraged me in dabbling with watercolor a while after that). In highschool, I drew and painted some of the things I see around me...there were both good and bad ones. In college now, I use ballpen and paper to draw graphic patterns and less with realistic drawing. I find that I can express myself more in drawing graphic patterns rather than copying something which I'm terrible at(asymmetric alignment, too big/too small for the paper, exhausting in the long run).

When doing scrapbooks about my life(some of our teachers delight in requiring it for their subjects), I usually use whatever art materials/materials are at hand. I don't like to spend much on scrapbooking materials which are pretty but are quite expensive. I just compensate by drawing a lot of graphic and colorful patterns and I was glad my scrapbooks turned out okay.

Even though I'm quite good in the fine arts(which the people around me encourage me to take a bachelor's degree for it but I don't want to), I'm poor when it comes to mixing and matching clothes and interior designing. My mom, who is an ISFJ, doesn't find it difficult to do such things and actually the results are visually appealing.
    I'm a Phlegmatic-Melancholy.

MBTI
    ISFP

Personally, I think it's great that you can paint--some of us *cough ME cough* can't use paint to save their lives.
    We're pretty much on the same boat. My paintings would make everyone say, "Uhmm...". Overall, I'm really terrible in painting. I'm much more comfortable and better with graphic designing.
    I'm a Phlegmatic-Melancholy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    If by loosely, you mean awesomely, then yes, you're right.

Not all are in arts, though. That's why I think Keirsey's definition of art being "the next action is a free variable, rather than a fixed constant" is the best I've ever heard. A ton of people are better at those "fixed constants." It's the opposite of improvisation, and it can still be creative, yes, but creative is different than artistic.

"Fine" arts are indeed what a lot of people think of, but they are certainly not the only arts. Watch a martial artist in action for a time, or a blacksmith, or a skateboarder, and tell me they are not artists.

No, no it isn't in the slightest. What an absurd idea. It's the other way around. It's demeaning to single out only a few of the arts and make those out to be somehow more special.

Haha, you reminded me of that sketch from "The State", where they have the talk show with all the snooty "expert" people and the host asks all intense "What....is....art?" and one of the panelists shifts around in his chair for a long time looking like he's pondering it hard and then says "you mean like....paintings and stuff?"

No, a martial artist, blacksmith, and skateboarder are NOT artists.

Your definition of art is far more absurd as you basically apply it to anything YOU think is "awesome". Keirsey's definition is redefining the word to mean something it never has.

"The arts" are more than just fine arts (ie. visual arts may include film & fashion), and artists may include people who use related skills, such as in commercial artwork (ie. graphic arts).

So I'm not singling out "a few" arts, I'm calling out how ridiculous to say a skateboarder or politician is an artist. What isn't art then?
    And why does something have to be an art to have meaning? It's not demeaning to these non-artists because their skill has value, even if it's not art.

I won't tell you who you remind me of, but it's certainly not someone bright or discerning.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP

Your definition of art is far more absurd as you basically apply it to anything YOU think is "awesome". Keirsey's definition is redefining the word to mean something it never has.

"The arts" are more than just fine arts (ie. visual arts may include film & fashion), and artists may include people who use related skills, such as in commercial artwork (ie. graphic arts).

So I'm not singling out "a few" arts, I'm calling out how ridiculous to say a skateboarder or politician is an artist. What isn't art then?
    And why does something have to be an art to have meaning? It's not demeaning to these non-artists because their skill has value, even if it's not art.
    The arts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

What is regarded as art is relevant to many factors like culture.. and is determined invidually through subjective evaulation. Going by those principles... art is subjective.. thus there is no point in defining the term art itself as if it was concrete fact... with directly definable criteria's, since it only needs a few loosely defined traits to pass(anything that can be practiced.. and honed by humans). Because it is ruled by the ambiguity of subjectiveness.

What you are doing is saying "look.. my definition of art is better then yours..." which is projecting and presenting your own subjective definition as one would of concrete fact..

Conclusion: Fallacy.

I won't tell you who you remind me of, but it's certainly not someone bright or discerning.
    Translation "Dude you suck ass because your subjective opinion conflicts with mine.. whine whine whine"
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

MBTI
    isfp

Yes, that's what I have to tell people.... that I'm a painter (which is O.K.), because if I say I'm an artist, they don't know what that means. The term is used for so many things these days that it has kind of lost it's meaning, in my opinion.
    Yeah, you have to put "visual" before the "artist" part... even that seems to be too general these days. Usually I avoid labels and just say what it is that I do... "I paint, draw, sketch, etc." That's much more effective. Labels are only required by SJ's :-P

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Nah, it's okay. It gave me somethin to respond to.

Sure they are.

Your definition of art is far more absurd as you basically apply it to anything YOU think is "awesome".
    Not even close to true. A lot of art isn't awesome. For instance, there was that "pissing on Christ" sculpture (or maybe it was a painting) from several years ago that got a lot of attention. That wasn't awesome. There's all kinds of sucky music artists. Look at the stuff on the pop charts right now, most of it is terrible. I have doodled some stuff on post-it notes that was not very good at all. One time I was at this music store and heard this kid playing piano really lousily. I mean, he was just awful. Definitely not awesome. And man, have you seen some of the abominations in the comics section of the newspaper? I think a drunk dog could draw better than some of those people, but hey, they're still artists.

Keirsey's definition is redefining the word to mean something it never has.
    Nope. Actually in many ways, Keirsey is remarkably unoriginal,. he consolidated a lot of old ideas, and his definitions of art actually line up with ancient guys like Plato and Aristotle. Just because you have learned or decided on a narrow definition doesn't mean others have.

"What isn't art then?
    I already answered that in a previous post in this same topic. There are lots of other roles people fill that are not arts. Caretaking, inspecting, mentoring, enforcing, regulating, certifying, supplying, securing, solving equations...those are just a few examples of actions that are very important but not artistic.

Ooh. Can I guess then?

It is Shemp?

Uhhh...Tony Danza?

Fozzy Bear?

Theo from the Cosby Show?

Roger Rabbit?

Bill?

Ted?

The freckled-faced bully dude from King of the Hill?

Tommy from the Smothers Brothers?

The "GOOOOOOOOO RAIIIIIIIIIDERRRS" guy?

Adam Sandler's character in Airheads?

Bob Saget?

Yogi Berra?

The fat guy from Meatballs 4?

Shemp?

No wait, I said Shemp.

Oh well, I give up. I'm just gonna assume it was Shemp.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel