User Tag List

123 Last

your resident asshole

Default Is it possible to be a non-creative SP?

From every site I look at, xSxP's are supposed to be creative. I keep finding myself to be like an ISFP, but I consider myself to be a very non-creative person. Could it just be that I haven't discovered my creativity or should I keep looking for a different MBTI type that suits me?

Umm... Don't confuse "NF" creativity with "SP" artisanship. I'm not saying both temperaments can't be both, they can... but I think that sometimes when people think creative they think imaginative and spacey and free-flowing, etc. SP creativity is often very concrete and can take unexpected forms (do you like to build, cook, garden?)... what are your hobbies, anyhow?

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

Well, you can keep looking... Define creativity. No one is the same or creates the same. In fact by defining creativity you might very well be being creative.

It's all a matter of opinion. Some people can paint portraits, while others can only make a beautiful frame, or maybe the building or wall that the painting rests on or resides in. Are not each of these a form of creativity, yet they are each fulfilled all the time by individuals of all types?
    Last edited by Eagle; 03-26-2009 at 09:06 PM.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx/so
    Socionics
    LSI

And indeed Maliafee.
    - Caleb

"I am what I need to be..."

"Nemo me impune lacessit - No one provokes me with impunity."

heart on fire

Probably more likely that the creativity hasn't been well developed or found a "voice" yet-- or they have been convinced by someone critical that they aren't creative or to devalue their creative endeavors. Creativity can hide itseld in daily activies. Gardening can be creative, cooking can be creative. it just depends on how the person is doing these activities, is there dedication and passion to create being expressed there?

your resident asshole

@ Maliafee -- Well, in the sixth grade we all had to take woodshop for a few weeks. While I was VERY terrible at it, I found it to be exhilarating. I also enjoy building things with Legos. I just love following the instructions to build something out of nothing. But wouldn't following instructions to make something be considered not creative? As for hobbies... I love listening to music and taking dance lessons.

@Eagle -- True.

@Heart -- Yes, I suppose maybe I just haven't discovered anything yet.

heart on fire

How do you feel about the dancing? Dancing is certainly moving the body in creative ways, seems very Se.

If you found woodshop so pleasing then that speaks more to creativity than actual finished product, everyone has to learn their art or craft. It takes time, dedication and patience. It's a mistake to think that following directions means it isn't creative. You have to learn the basics first in how to work with your chosen medium before you can play on your own with it. It's true for anything painting, writing, sculpting, woodworking---anything.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    How do you feel about the dancing? Dancing is certainly moving the body in creative ways, seems very Se.

If you found woodshop so pleasing then that speaks more to creativity than actual finished product, everyone has to learn their art or craft. It takes time, dedication and patience. It's a mistake to think that following directions means it isn't creative. You have to learn the basics first in how to work with your chosen medium before you can play on your own with it. It's true for anything painting, writing, sculpting, woodworking---anything.
    Through both dancing and working with wood, I have to be following instructions. I can only dance a choreographed dance and... well... actually I've never perused wood.

Oh, and did I mention I play the piano? I don't really enjoy it that much, though, I much prefer to listen.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Through both dancing and working with wood, I have to be following instructions.
    These are learning curves. If you enjoy these things, if they are passions for you and make you feel good, then don't make assumptions on what it means, just enjoy the learning and you never know what will happen once you become facile in these arts. That's when you find out how truly creative you are. But first you have to learn to move within that particular world before you can create within it.

There myths about being creative and one is that there isn't a learning curve in art. Even people born with beautiful voices have to spend time learning with a music coach on how to use that natural talent to their best advantage. Any art is the same, one must learn the basics and develop skills.

Edit: Just to make a point here, if I were to follow the directions on a woodworking project, it would likely still come out a mess. I have no natural inclination or talent in this area and no drive or joy in it. It would also drive me batty. The feeling of joy that you took in working with it to me sounds like something very important, a key to your ideal self (for lack of better term). I really admire people who create things with their hands, even if they follow directions.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Don't take a stereotype so seriously. Anything is possible.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)