12 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Default SPs and new experiences

So I feel like this is something I should know, but I took the test at Thomson-Maidenbaum Personality Inventory
    to discover that the test marked up "trying new things" as iNtuitive and sticking to what you know as sensing. I'm an ISTP, but I -love- new experiences. So I kind of marked that up as SPs being "the experiencer." Then I realized.. I know plenty of SPs and they -do- tend to like to stick to the familiar.... ESTPs and ESFPs in particular seem to be this way. ISFPs seem in between. What do y'all think? Maybe I'm more an IXTP? Hm.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I love to try new things, especially food! But there is some comfort in familiar things. I guess that I am in between. I want something new and something old. I like to travel and see new sights sometimes and I also like to stay at home and relax in familiar surroundings.
    It is all good.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

Trying new things is fun, in a way. But doing old things is much more fun because I like improving my skills in them

The way I see it, I don't like my interests too varied and broad. It doesn't allow for enough specialization which is what ultimately determines my enjoyment of an activity.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Hm.. yeah, that makes a bit more sense. I do like "specializing" in something. But I often get into an explore mode where I want to travel to new places and see new things, try new food... Once I get out of my comfort zone and with other people, I'm more likely to push the limits. On vacation with my ENFP sister is a great example. It all depends on who I'm with, I guess. If I'm left by myself, and "recharging", I focus on things I'm familiar with.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I tend to get a new interest, then learn every possible thing I can about it until I am comfortable with it, then move on to the next interest. I have no real desire to specialize in one thing. I want to be decent at everything, not really good at one or two things.

Experiences fuel my flux capacitor.

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryPenguin View Post
    I tend to get a new interest, then learn every possible thing I can about it until I am comfortable with it, then move on to the next interest. I have no real desire to specialize in one thing. I want to be decent at everything, not really good at one or two things.

Experiences fuel my flux capacitor.
    Isn't that, in a sense, specialization? It's certainly past the point of vague interest, but no need to go into semantics...

I want to be really good at only one or two things, and I also have a desire to be good at everything I bother spending my time doing, which requires me to dedicate a lot of time to learn about them before I'm comfortable with it to move on to something else.

That's not to say I don't enjoy trying lots of new things. It's just that I enjoy spending the majority of my time learning about an activity and developing a skill.

There's only so much time in the day!

A lot of the things I enjoy doing, require investments in equipment in order to participate in an activity. Unfortunately, I can only buy so many toys...

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I suppose that is a sort of specialization, but not to the extent that I'd want to do it forever. The time is the one pain in the ass about the whole thing. So many times I end up wishing there were a couple more hours in a day or days in a year.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I just took that test and got ESFP.
    ESFP

E 8 I 6
    S 9 N 5
    T 2 F 12
    P 12 J 2
    Interesting test.
    Yes, I like new experiences and, yes, I like to perfect my skills so I like to do familiar things, too. I tend to be very scattered, though, and easily distracted.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, I hate the way most tests make creativity and innovation out to be an "N" thing and the "S" thing is just status quo or living in the past. I think it's the reason a lot of SPs test as N's, because they quite rightly answer that they want to do things in new ways and not just do stuff the way it's always been done.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Yeah, I hate the way most tests make creativity and innovation out to be an "N" thing and the "S" thing is just status quo or living in the past. I think it's the reason a lot of SPs test as N's, because they quite rightly answer that they want to do things in new ways and not just do stuff the way it's always been done.
    Yeah.. it is kinda silly. I know several people that at first tested Ns, but when I realized... hey, that means I know like 1 other S for 10 different Ns. My ESFJ mom thought she was an N at first. I still have a lot of Ns that are really close to me, so I'm pretty confident I can spot an NF and NT anywhere by now (ESPECIALLY the NFs...As much as I love all the Ns in my life... they can sometimes make my head hurt. Although the NTPs much less so. I relate to them a lot more.)

Anyways, so yeah, I have quite a few Ns in my life, and what's funny is that it's sometimes a toss up as to who's more willing to try something new. My ENFJ brother hates being out of his comfort zone. I'm not sure about my INTJ dad and brother, but they don't really seem to have a preference. My ENFP sister has weird phases where sometimes she does and sometimes she doesn't (Except for food... she's super picky and hates trying new things). Then again, I have another ENFP friend that I call my "Adventure Pal." The ENTJ and INTP both seem pretty intrigued with new things, too

Well, I'm rambling, but I'm guessing (Disclaimer: I haven't thought about this until just now, so correct me if I'm wrong) that NTs try new things to figure out new ways of thinking or doing things, NFs do a similar thing except that they apply it more to a relational perspective, and for me... Well... I try new experiences just for the sake of a new experience. Basically, they like new things to apply the experience in another area of life, whereas, while I'm absorbing info no matter where I'm going, I do things just to do them. No ulterior motives included.