User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 14

  1. #1
    Senior Member ColonelGadaafi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP
    Posts
    774

    Default Sp's and tactics.

    Well SP's are said to engage in tactics, that goes for both STP/SFP's. So the question to the resident SP's, how would you describe your appliance of tactics and tactile engagement?. And what is the diffrentation between STP/SFP Tactics.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

  2. #2
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Introverted-esfp View Post
    Well SP's are said to engage in tactics, that goes for both STP/SFP's. So the question to the resident SP's, how would you describe your appliance of tactics and tactile engagement?. And what is the diffrentation between STP/SFP Tactics.
    What kind of tactics? Mental or physical? Work or play? Violent of non-violent? So many to describe, so short on Ritalin...


  3. #3
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Ambiguity and confusion of their opponents and peers appears to be one...



  4. #4
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    OK, slightly more serious answer now that I have a minute.

    tac?tic? ?/?tækt?k/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tak-tik]
    –noun
    1. tactics (def. 1).
    2. a system or a detail of tactics.
    3. a plan, procedure, or expedient for promoting a desired end or result.


    tac?ti?cal? ?/?tækt?k?l/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [tak-ti-kuhl]
    –adjective
    1. of or pertaining to tactics, esp. military or naval tactics.
    2. characterized by skillful tactics or adroit maneuvering or procedure: tactical movements.
    3. of or pertaining to a maneuver or plan of action designed as an expedient toward gaining a desired end or temporary advantage.
    4. expedient; calculated.
    5. prudent; politic.

    As far as I'm concerned use of the above two words assumes there is a conflict of some kind, personal or business. How do I handle things when "tactics" are in order?

    Personal:
    Very simple. If someone says/does something that is offensive or rude or completely uncalled for to me or someone I love, I stand up, point directly at their face, tell them what I didn't like and thell them they owe me an apology. If they don't apologize, because they think they are too good or whatever, then I read them the riot act and make clear to all present what a total and complete idiot that person is until they cry or leave or both.

    Business:
    Simple again. Question what was said that you disagree with. Immediately find an obvious, logical shortcoming of the proposed idea and make it known to the group. If there is a whiteboard in the room, stand up and grab a marker, and start mapping out my strategy, and talking through it.

    The other person doesn't like it? Too bad, I'm standing, they're seated, I have command of the room. Everyone is looking at me, listening to me, and focused on my diagrams/info on the whiteboard and my opponent is now a bystander in the peanut gallery. If I continue to receive resistance then I get more brutal in pointing out problems with the other plan/idea to the degree of making my opponent that came up with them seem like a fool. I gave my opponent an out, they pushed further, now it's time to shut them down.

    Life is short, time is precious. There is but one way to deal with conflict: HEAD-ON. Don't screw around, go for the throat and win first time around. There shouldn't be a round #2.

    That's how us ESTPs roll...

    Is that the type of answer you're looking for Introverted_esfp?

  5. #5
    rawr Costrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Extremely simplified:

    Tactics - a single battle.
    Strategy - the whole campaign.

    Tactics is micro, Strategy is macro.

    imo
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

  6. #6
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Extremely simplified:

    Tactics - a single battle.
    Strategy - the whole campaign.

    Tactics is micro, Strategy is macro.

    imo
    True, but if a campaign strategy is based on ineffective tactics then the whole campaign is fu*%ed. Right?

    Bottomline, if you are going to engage in anything for tactical reasons, micro or macro, then the objective is to win, right?

    Just checking...

  7. #7
    rawr Costrin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    2,320

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    True, but if a campaign strategy is based on ineffective tactics then the whole campaign is fu*%ed. Right?

    Bottomline, if you are going to engage in anything for tactical reasons, micro or macro, then the objective is to win, right?

    Just checking...
    Yup. You need both good strategy and good tactics to win. You can't have one without the other.

    At least in most cases. To some extent, overwhelmingly good strategy or tactics can make up for the other, but you need at least a minimum in the other.
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

  8. #8
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Yup. You need both good strategy and good tactics to win. You can't have one without the other.

    At least in most cases. To some extent, overwhelmingly good strategy or tactics can make up for the other, but you need at least a minimum in the other.
    An interesting point, well put!

  9. #9
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Yup. You need both good strategy and good tactics to win. You can't have one without the other.

    At least in most cases. To some extent, overwhelmingly good strategy or tactics can make up for the other, but you need at least a minimum in the other.
    Agreed.... too much strategy with no tactics keeps you on course, but does not allow for flexibility when called for. Relying too much on tactics with no strategy means flying too much by the seat of the pants with no blueprint to maintain a course. I think that the recent campaign year showed good examples of too much of one and not enough of another and then how when balanced they work perfectly. McCain relied too much on tactics with insufficient strategy, Clinton had a good strategy in the beginning and end, but lost ground in the middle when her campaign could not respond quickly to turn of events, and Obama ran a flawless campaign balanced by tactics and strategy.

    But to answer the question, I think asking the difference between SFP and STP is interesting, but probably should be equally asked of logistics between SFJs and STJs. One answer may be not to look at any temperament type as being that exclusively. With your dominant temperament, you also can have a secondary temperament. So it could be that STPs generally will be tactical/strategic or tactical/logistic and SFPs tactical diplomatic and tactical logistic. No facts to back that up, just my thoughts.

  10. #10
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Agreed.... too much strategy with no tactics keeps you on course, but does not allow for flexibility when called for. Relying too much on tactics with no strategy means flying too much by the seat of the pants with no blueprint to maintain a course. I think that the recent campaign year showed good examples of too much of one and not enough of another and then how when balanced they work perfectly. McCain relied too much on tactics with insufficient strategy, Clinton had a good strategy in the beginning and end, but lost ground in the middle when her campaign could not respond quickly to turn of events, and Obama ran a flawless campaign balanced by tactics and strategy.

    But to answer the question, I think asking the difference between SFP and STP is interesting, but probably should be equally asked of logistics between SFJs and STJs. One answer may be not to look at any temperament type as being that exclusively. With your dominant temperament, you also can have a secondary temperament. So it could be that STPs generally will be tactical/strategic or tactical/logistic and SFPs tactical diplomatic and tactical logistic. No facts to back that up, just my thoughts.
    That would be a cool cross analysis to do. It's interesting to consider that every MBTI type is pre-disposed to favor "throwing down" in a particular way vs. another... We must all deal with conflict (and hence require use of tactics and strategy) in our lives.

Similar Threads

  1. [SP] SP's and alcohol
    By mortabunt in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-25-2009, 09:36 PM
  2. [SP] Sp's and others
    By mortabunt in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 10:56 AM
  3. [SP] SP's and Se.
    By Athenian200 in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 08:56 PM
  4. [SP] SP's and cheating
    By GirlAmerica in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-02-2007, 01:33 AM
  5. [MBTItm] NT Responsibility, SP enjoyment and own example
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-22-2007, 01:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO