• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFPs and fluid identity

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
YEAAAAAAAHH!

Okay, that probly doesn't answer the question, but it fires me up listening to it! :D

maliafee

I'm having trouble remembering what I was about to type.

OH! All right. Now I remember.

So, I relate to having typed as all different types and having a really hard time coming to figure out my real type. I have felt like a shape shifter. I hate telling people how I am sometimes because I always feel I have sort of misled them or only told them part of it or... or I panic for .5 second because I don't want them to get the wrong idea of me and not realize I'm MORE than that. I am anything. It's so weird.

That's why I just like being and having no one expect ANYTHING of how I am.

Skyline

Yeah... so, this is odd.
I can relate btw. Sometimes I go so much with the flow, that when people ask me a personal question, I'm like *I can't find the wire that connects me to my brain that is supposed to tell me something about myself right now.* :p and I just say... "sawryy, distracted..." or I go "whatever", lol (or other stuff).
so yea I'd say I'm an adaptable person.
I love getting feedback on my personality and actions though, from random people and closer people, because it tells me stuff about myself. so yes I also like objective critisism.
Also keep in mind we are always something in Motion,
we Grow
so there's never like this solid thing in-one-place that represents us. impossible. we're not some stereotypical fictional character from a book, we're organic people and that goes deep.

Mh, to reply to that INTP's post about 2 isfp's:
are we noobs who totally don't get the hang of who we are???
So, can other types come up with an awesome autobiography and tell us who They are?
I think this is probably a challenge for about anyone, uhu?
Also, the way we see ourselves is also a changing thing and is very subjective to the moment.
One of the closest things for me to tell who I am or am not is when I start comparing myself to my parents, or to friends or something, or check out what things I'm good at, what things I enjoy, bla la and so on! ... But that has nnnothing to do with mbti or socionics type.
I think type just represents a pattern really, "random superficial mannerisms"...

Anyhoo, that's about it for now! PEaceout and I want a reply -I love the give and take of brainstorming- ! :cheese:

D

Dali

I just remembered, my INFJ pal that was deeply into the Humorism theory (barf) and is now getting into MBTI keeps trying to pin down and identify what she terms as "the core of the ISP". After many, many months of frustration, she just gave up and decided that we were schizophrenic.

maliafee

Hilarious!!!

I've tried to convince my INFJ mom that I am not as "deep" as she is. She gets very offended, but not about herself; she gets offended that her daughter is saying she is not deep. Like she thinks I AM deep. I just hate that word though. Now, I take life seriously inside, but I also am very laid back, I can be thoughtful, I feel greatly, I feel lots of emotions, and I'm very versatile and hopefully somewhat intelligent. So there are multiple facets. BUT I don't believe that I can NEVER be figured out as an INFJ might. THAT's what I mean by saying I'm not deep. I am not an enigma.

Except, when I think about how hard it is for me to even pin myself down, I guess I am one after all!!! Hmm, I just don't revel in it like my mom INFJ does. I told her, your type thinks no one can possible ever figure them out. And she answers quickly back, "I don't think that, I KNOW it."

Hey what is the Humorism theory?

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Hilarious!!!

I've tried to convince my INFJ mom that I am not as "deep" as she is. She gets very offended, but not about herself; she gets offended that her daughter is saying she is not deep. Like she thinks I AM deep. I just hate that word though. Now, I take life seriously inside, but I also am very laid back, I can be thoughtful, I feel greatly, I feel lots of emotions, and I'm very versatile and hopefully somewhat intelligent. So there are multiple facets. BUT I don't believe that I can NEVER be figured out as an INFJ might. THAT's what I mean by saying I'm not deep. I am not an enigma.

Except, when I think about how hard it is for me to even pin myself down, I guess I am one after all!!! Hmm, I just don't revel in it like my mom INFJ does. I told her, your type thinks no one can possible ever figure them out. And she answers quickly back, "I don't think that, I KNOW it."

Do you guys think ISFPs are contradictory by nature, I think we can be in a lot of ways.

D

Dali

Hilarious!!!

I just saw your post. Sorry for the late reply.

I had a similar issue with my pal. She ascribed way more 'depth' to me than I believe I have and she'd mentally box me off into this particular person based on things I did / said then I'd turn around and (the seemingly contradictory thing Quinlan's mentioned) and do something out-there (according to her) and she'd be totally surprised and say that was 'not me'. She's finally starting to understand that I may not have much depth in the 'tortured' NF manner of speaking but I am multifaceted. I ascribe the 'contradictory nature' to the constant processing within my Fi whereby I may have a completely different opinion on something a month from now than I do today. My dominant Fi doesn't make me extremely fickle and there is a solid 'baserock' of primary values there but the secondary values are not set in stone.

Humorism
. It's incredibly oversimplified and a relic that some people refuse to drop.

MBTI Type
IXFX
Enneagram
The Best Fit Type descriptions are the same ones as the results of this test: HelloQuizzy.com: The Socionics Typology Test

Although I got INFP as my result, ISFP, ISTJ, INTP and even ENFJ were not far behind.
Occasionally I do score as an extrovert, and ENFJ is probably the most common E result. In leadership positions I think I do have a kind of ENFJ vibe about me.

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
If I'm with someone else, particularly someone who is very strongly any personality type that I am not, I find that I start mirroring that person. I pick up on their personality traits, their way of speaking, and their moods. I become much more outgoing around an extravert and much quieter and inward around an introvert. I really don't do that on purpose. It just sort of happens.
I have tested as other types and other temperaments, including ESTJ, INFP, ENFP, ISTP, and ESFP. It could have something to do with that mirroring trait.

My girlfriend, an ISFP, does that. I've noticed it. It's wierd. I don't want a clone of me.

inebriato

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'd test ENFP if I was high on something I reckon.

*Looks at Wolfy suspiciously*

I tested as an ENFP a lot. I had real difficulity finding my type.

inebriato

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I'm with someone else, particularly someone who is very strongly any personality type that I am not, I find that I start mirroring that person. I pick up on their personality traits, their way of speaking, and their moods. I become much more outgoing around an extravert and much quieter and inward around an introvert. I really don't do that on purpose. It just sort of happens.
I have tested as other types and other temperaments, including ESTJ, INFP, ENFP, ISTP, and ESFP. It could have something to do with that mirroring trait.

Yes! This happens to me also. I end up picking up how people laugh as well. :shock:

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
This makes a lot more sense now. I thought I was the only one who changed so much so frequently. That could be a huge reason why I have no idea who I am. I'm constantly changing because I want to be so many things/people/personalities.

I have different personalities with different people, I've found as well.
I suppose I'm able to react off the vibes people give off. I can be so extroverted and funny and happy around one person, but with another person its almost impossible to be those things. I hate my inconsistency. I want something solid in myself so people can see me...

This is something that I've done ever since I was little. I pick up things that make certain people unique (lisps, accents, limps or whatever really) and I mimic it. When I was in 3rd grade, one of my friends had a hard core lisp and I quickly picked it up. My mom would get so mad at me for it.

Do you guys think ISFPs are contradictory by nature, I think we can be in a lot of ways.

I'm a walking contradiction.

wolfy

awsm
I feel my personality is fluid. That's what I teach my kids too. Nobody can really be labelled in anyway.
When people do that they are simply using a shortcut in thinking.
We are what we are in the moment.
When I do something stupid am I stupid?
Of course not. People change and adapt.

On a side note. I measured as ENFP six times the other night.

This is an old thread. Sounds like I really had a fluid identity that night. ;)

man1988

MBTI Type
FP?

I was wondering whether other ISFPs relate to this and how it influences our ability to type ourselves. A lot of other types seem to have a strong identity, one that is easy to spot and type but like these quotes show, I don't have a very rigid sense of self. I'm sure I could form a reasonable case for me being a number of different types, dependng on different situations. I'm also compelled by the idea of mbti's boxes but I'm repulsed by the idea of being put in a box.

ISFPs, did you find it hard to accurately type yourself? do you often get different types in tests? Do you ever wonder if you're a different type? Do you find type too limiting to describe your personality?

For other types, do these tendencies make us difficult to type at times?

Hello!
This is exactly how i feel!!! I feel I have many personallities and I can see myself through peoples/situations eyes and see different personallity. I really understand what you are saying I wanna talk more with you! Even now when Im writing I can feel that this is just the person inside me in "this mode" when Im answering you. Another thime I wouldn´t write this way, so I kind of get a feeling and a personallity just for you hehe. Hope you understand, not so good in english. I don´t know if Im infp, isfp, enfp, ore esfp. It all depence, but I guess that is the personallity of isfp..

man1988

MBTI Type
FP?
Hello!
This is exactly how i feel!!! I feel I have many personallities and I can see myself through peoples/situations eyes and see different personallity. I really understand what you are saying I wanna talk more with you! Even now when Im writing I can feel that this is just the person inside me in "this mode" when Im answering you. Another thime I wouldn´t write this way, so I kind of get a feeling and a personallity just for you hehe. Hope you understand, not so good in english. I don´t know if Im infp, isfp, enfp, ore esfp. It all depence, but I guess that is the personallity of isfp..

I forgot to say: And i allways get frustrated all the thime because I know !okay now those people think Im that way, and those people think Im that way, and now Im that person to him/her and for those person Im that way.. And I allways feel frustrated because they never get to see All of me. Not even me because I dont know myself. Its like the only person who knows me is the person that has been seeing me since I was born.

Heinel

MBTI Type
TiSe
Enneagram
5w4
Had it occurred to you guys to think that everyone change depending on the environment and that you guys are just consciously aware of it?