• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Random questions

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
It would cause a break in causality.

You'll have to explain what you mean by that, because that statement is vague and ambiguous. Are you implying causality is destroyed by free will? Are you saying free will somehow makes what humans do mean something more than what a beaver or spider does? And for that matter, how does causality and if it is "broken" have anything to do determining if we are living "naturally?"

wolfy

awsm
You'll have to explain what you mean by that, because that statement is vague and ambiguous. Are you implying causality is destroyed by free will? Are you saying free will somehow makes what humans do mean something more than what a beaver or spider does? And for that matter, how does causality and if it is "broken" have anything to do determining if we are living "naturally?"

I'm saying if we are self aware and have free will then we have a choice over our actions. It's not about being above other animals. Other animals are also self aware.
If we can choose our actions then wouldn't it follow that we can choose incorrectly?

In your examples the system is self adapting, natural. The flower doesn't spew fumes for any reason does it?
If humans can reason and choose then that separates us from nature.
I'm not saying this is a bad thing I'm just feel that is how it is.

So you think that every event, including cognition and behaviour, is exactly the way it should be?
That everything we do is what we should do?

That is what I was trying to say in the initial post.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I'm saying if we are self aware and have free will then we have a choice over our actions. It's not about being above other animals. Other animals are also self aware.
If we can choose our actions then wouldn't it follow that we can choose incorrectly?

Well sure, but choosing incorrectly means what exactly? If the mechanism for making choices [free will] is afforded to us by nature, anything done by that mechanism is the result of a natural process. People think "natural" means good. It doesn't, not in the sense that we use it. Wolves eat the children and newborn of herds, simply because they are easier to catch. There are male frog species that force themselves on the females if the female rejects their mating proposal. This is natural. Is it right? Is it correct? That's another argument, it is not intertwined.

In your examples the system is self adapting, natural. The flower doesn't spew fumes for any reason does it?
If humans can reason and choose then that separates us from nature.
I'm not saying this is a bad thing I'm just feel that is how it is.

The flower spews fumes because it evolved to do so. We also spew fumes as we put the environment's resources to work for us, just like any other species, as we have evolved to do so. Somehow our environmental use is wrong because we have free will, something that is given to us by nature? Doesn't really make sense to me. Even if it is wrong, it's still natural.

Reason and choice does not separate us from nature. It was given to us by nature. Therefore everything we do is a part of it, part of the natural equation. We are not above it, not separate from it, but just another variable.

So you think that every event, including cognition and behaviour, is exactly the way it should be?
That everything we do is what we should do?

That is what I was trying to say in the initial post.

Everything we do is natural, not necessarily right or wrong. We have grown to what we are, using the same rules every other organism has used to get where we are. We're just better at it than all the others.

wolfy

awsm
People think "natural" means good. It doesn't, not in the sense that we use it.

It can when used in the philosophical sense of the word. That is where or difference of opinion stems from.

I agree with you from a scientific standpoint but feel you are wrong in saying that the word 'nature' cannot be used in that way.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
It can when used in the philosophical sense of the word. That is where or difference of opinion stems from.

I agree with you from a scientific standpoint but feel you are wrong in saying that the word 'nature' cannot be used in that way.

If it is, then it doesn't correspond to nature anymore, since the entire natural world could be considered unnatural.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Only in the scientific meaning of the word nature. You can't mix the concepts.

So the philosophical meaning of "nature" means good? Anything that acts as is natural is good? Then we're back to humans, regardless of behavior, being good no matter what because we are acting naturally.

wolfy

awsm
So the philosophical meaning of "nature" means good? Anything that acts as is natural is good? Then we're back to humans, regardless of behavior, being good no matter what because we are acting naturally.

The philosophical meaning of "nature" is nature. The nature of things. What is nature? From this angle is the same as saying 'What is our true reality'

That is the impossible question.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Better at what exactly?

We're better at controlling our environment, and using it to our advantage than any other species on this planet. So much so that we believe we have separated ourselves from it, when we have not.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I think that remains to be seen, our attempts to "control" the environment rather than intergrate with it, may prove unsuccessful survival wise. It's early days still for humans.

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Did sonar screw up the comunication of dolfins and whales with a repetitious blip every few seconds like my NT screws up me?

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Does a person jump out of the way of an oncoming bus with the same responsiveness if that person is naked?

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Shouldn't we have a no water consumption day instead of a lights out day? That way, when we're just about out of water some day, we'll have enough for one more day?