• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Se] Understanding and Developing Extraverted Sensing

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I fell asleep at "compare notes". :D

Haha na, all seemed pretty straight forward, good for someone wanting to know more about Se.

I like how we stay cool when the shit hits the fan.

wolfy

awsm
I fell asleep at "compare notes". :D

I know if you'd said that I would have de friended you. :D

In the checklist thingy I didn't tick Freely follow your gut instincts...
and Quickly move to take advantage...

The other ones I feel I have a grip on. I feel I sometimes block my instincts especially when they concern people.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I know if you'd said that I would have de friended you. :D

In the checklist thingy I didn't tick Freely follow your gut instincts...
and Quickly move to take advantage...

The other ones I feel I have a grip on. I feel I sometimes block my instincts especially when they concern people.

I dont have adobe reader installed right now, but for me I use Se to notice how people feel. We pay attention to how what we do causes changes in others feelings. We may notice emotion changes, temperment changes, a smile, a touch. I can tell when someone is happy with what I did. An ISTP will also look past the response at the why, though I think this is Ti. You smiled, but what caused the smile, was it the action you smiled at or the thought. When an ISTP really gets there Se working we really get to know what people like and dont like, we really learn them inside and out. This lets us develop our Fe and focus it on one person.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Nice, Wolfy. I'll definitely have a look. If there's one function I'd like to develop it's Se.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i've got mad se yo

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
First of all, kudos to Dario Nardi. He is by far (in addition to Berens) the best author I have found to merge temperament and type into a complete system. His suggestions for determining one's type are highly practical and at least for me the most functional. I have spent several days attempting to find the book locally. Unfortunately I will need to buy it on line, but it appears to be a good work.

About this Chapter:

Starting with the mini assessment, did anyone (with the exception of ESPs) get higher than a 4? I looked at the questions and tried to be as honest as possible, but could only pick two things that exactly fit me. After reading the chapter it was clear that a score of 4 was average for someone who may use Se for something other than the dominant function.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Starting with the mini assessment, did anyone (with the exception of ESPs) get higher than a 4? I looked at the questions and tried to be as honest as possible, but could only pick two things that exactly fit me. After reading the chapter it was clear that a score of 4 was average for someone who may use Se for something other than the dominant function.

Yeah, I got 13, man. Seems like you might be a bit repressed. ;)

wolfy

awsm
About this Chapter:

I like his work too.

I was probably being easier on myself than you. The only ones I did not check were Freely follow your gut instincts and Quickly move to take advantage of immediate options for action. Also on reflection I unchecked Spur action ... simply by making presence felt. I'm confident in the others. That gives me a 10.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I could without a doubt check, “Instantly notice movement and impactful features in the environment” and “Spur action and get results by simply making your presence felt.” These are not what I see in myself, as much as how I observe other reacting when I am around. I considered “Instantly reading visible cues” however the final statement seems to change it’s meaning when saying, “….to see just how far you can go”. Maybe someone can interpret that differently, but it sounds to me as though the user is “pushing the envelope”.

I think that the statements in section 2 are relative and maybe I am considering them in comparison to others in my environment. Quickly moving to take advantage of options when I know the course of action is easy. However if there is anything that is not certain, I am hesitant. I easily get in synch with something that I am doing or the environment, but when you add people, I may be hesitant as well. Just not sure how to interpret section 3 statements.

wolfy

awsm
Lately I've come to understand that Se includes feedback from the outside. I've always kind of felt it was just me putting myself forward.

I always understood how the extraverted judging functions contained a feedback loop from other people but not really the extraverted perceiving functions.

Is this right?

What I mean to say is that included in Se is an appreciation of how others are sensing you.

Giggly

No moss growing on me
MBTI Type
iSFj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ooooh nice! Thank you for sharing, wolfy. :)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Lately I've come to understand that Se includes feedback from the outside. I've always kind of felt it was just me putting myself forward.
I think it may be a little of both in needing to put yourself forward to accept feedback from the outside, especially for ISPs whose otherwise dominant Ti or Fi will preclude this from occurring. I posted the information on ISTPs in the how to become more E thread, but for ISFP lack of Se can make them:
 May be extremely sensitive to any kind of criticism
 May be unable to see the opportunities inherent to a situation
 May perceive criticism where none was intended
 May have skewed or unrealistic ideas about reality
 May be unable to acknowledge or hear anything that goes against their personal ideas and opinions
 May blame their problems on other people, seeing themselves as victims who are treated unfairly
 May have great anger, and show this anger with rash outpourings of bad temper
 May be unaware of appropriate social behavior
 May be oblivious to their personal appearance, or to appropriate dress
 May come across as eccentric, or perhaps even generally strange to others, without being aware of it
 May be unable to see or understand anyone else's point of view
 May value their own opinions and feelings far above others
 May be unaware of how their behavior affects others
 May be oblivious to other people's need
 May feel overwhelmed with tension and stress when someone expresses disagreement with the ISFP, or disapproval of the ISFP
 May develop strong judgments that are difficult to unseed against people who they perceive have been oppressive or suppressive to them
Under great stress, may feel out of control and fearful, dwelling on the "dark side" of things
I always understood how the extraverted judging functions contained a feedback loop from other people but not really the extraverted perceiving functions. Is this right? What I mean to say is that included in Se is an appreciation of how others are sensing you.
Wolfy that is how I see it as well, which is the reason that ESPs have no equal in picking up on non-verbal cues and changing their immediate behavior to fit the circumstances.