• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] The Official Nobody Hates ISFPs Thread

Dwigie

MBTI Type
INFP
Well I suppose my friend is an ISFP and here are a few traits that bother me about her:

1. Avoidance, denial of negative feelings. "Put on a happy face 24/7"(PS: she can hate your guts deeply and will never show it. ._.' )

2. She has this laid back attitude that is sometimes borderline laziness.

3. She acts like an idiot, a helpless defenseless girl to get people to lower their defenses but could probably get to them easily if she wanted. (ISFPs are not harmless, nobody is)
STOP acting like a victim! If you can withstand such crap then you're probably tougher than you guys think.(Also, they use the number 3 to get people to do things for them sometimes -.-)

4. She whines about many things that are wrong with her life but doesn't do anything about it...(see number 2.)PS: They are things she could easily fix if she took time to do them.

(From my own limited personal experience. Might not apply to all ISFPs)

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Interesting Pecan, I think the root of a lot of your problems with ISFPs seems to be a need for the ISFP to be emotionally expressive (verbally), like you see Fi in us and you desperately want that Fi to be Fe.

We can be emotionally expressive (more likely through art though) but it almost feels like going against the grain, it feels unnatural. What I said before about sharing feelings and not them not feeling real/meaningful, perhap valid is a better word. For example when my wife (an Fe dom) shares her emotions, they feel more valid to her, when I share my emotions (an Fi dom) they somehow feel less valid almost tacky in a way. We generally express our F through Se, through touch, through art and action.

As an ENTP i can understand your frustration as we don't share any primary functions and our function orders don't match at all, ENTPs are enigmas to me aswell.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
So much interesting stuff in this thread.

i know you guys don't value conflict at all...i don't, but sometimes it is important to not allow boundaries to be crossed...what if your child is being bullied?..do you not stand up and say something bec you can't stand conflict, or do you just worry about your feelings not being ruffled up and to hell with your child's feelings and safety...this can be a real stinker of a problem...

I would expect a healthy ISFP to deal with that issue in a calm and rational manner, what really bothers me personally about conflict is that most of it is unnessary, screaming matches aren't problem solving and problem solving is what I do.

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have to admit...
That's a pretty good description of my negative traits pecan.

I hate you now and will never again eat pecan pie. If somebody offers me pecan pie I will give them a look of disgust but no reasons.

LOL....

Nuttier than a fruit cake, that one. ;)

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
im not familiar with any ISFPs on this board besides Jeffster and Sunshine, but they're definitely cool and likable people in my book. :newwink:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Just another thought, if we hate people but never show that we hate them, how do you know we hate them? :D

Domino

ENFJ In Chains
MBTI Type
eNFJ
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Just another thought, if we hate people but never show that we hate them, how do you know we hate them? :D

The deadly Care Bear stare? :D

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't hate ISFPs although I'm pretty sure I could make myself hate them if I tried :)

But one ISFP trait that annoys me to tears is the tendency to avoid conflict at all costs. Many ISFPs I know will avoid saying or doing something that needs to be done simply to avoid the potential of conflict arising. Most people don't like conflict, but ISFPs run for their life from it.

I can tell when my closest ISFP friend is not fond of a person because his facial expression changes from the usual happy to grim when he sees the person in question. Then he tries to avoid being close to or interacting with the person.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Okay, well since Wolfy, Quin, AND Penguin all took the time to go through this line by line, I can't let them show me up here. Thanks a lot guys for being un-lazy for once. :steam: ;)

Anyway, here goes...

1-They either tend to look all soft and all, but I call it "the Great Sadness"...this version seems to be so depressed and scared and have some form of anxiety that permeates their personalities

I don't really know what this means, but I am not usually depressed or scared.

2-The other version tends to be very deadpan( they may be less preferential towards "F", not sure), but they can be very funny, but can cause enormous pain with others.

What do you mean by "deadpan"? I don't think I have caused enormous pain to others. If I did, no one has told me.

Version 2 is the type I can't deal with anymore. Some of the reasons why follow.
-refuse to state their feelings and allow others to GUESS all the time. I do think some of them live in a world of FEAR that keeps them frozen all the time.

definitely not true of me, I don't refuse to state my feelings

-expect others to JUST KNOW how they feel and give it to them(think this is a trait of feelers in general)

My face is pretty expressive, so much so that people will sometimes read things in it that aren't there - like my mom (INFJ) thinking I'm in a bad mood because I'm "scowling" when I'm really just concentrating on what I'm doing. If anyone ever wants to know how I feel, all they have to do is ask and I will tell them.

-are hurt when they dont' receive what they expect, but you will pay absolute hell getting it out of them

This is one of those things that doesn't seem like it's ISFP-specific. Isn't everyone hurt when they don't receive what they expect? If anything, I think that SP-type people get over that hurt faster than most others do.

I don't know what "you will pay absolute hell getting it out of them" means.

-conflict avoidant to the MAX and extreme (have a great friend whose son REFUSED to even sit down and talk to him about some issues going on in the household)

This one is funny to me. Why is this a negative? Why would anyone WANT conflict? I mean, sure every once in awhile some drama can be exciting, but I find that some will occur anyway, even trying to avoid conflict. There's definitely no reason to seek it out. And I wouldn't refuse to discuss issues.

-will put things and DOGS, especially, OVER people

Too vague, need specific examples or scenarios in order for me to tell you what I would do. I don't like dogs, though.

-will want a lot of weekend breaks , usually outdoors, BUT you must figure out that they supposedly want to spend time with you, BUT what I really think is that they want to experience nature AND not people

This is another one that's funny. Wanting a lot of weekend breaks is a negative?? I want to experience nature AND people. If I'm experiencing nature, I love to share the experience with people.

-(sorry, but its true a lot of the time)--LAZY!!!!, unmotivated

Well, I already admitted my laziness, but like Quinlan alluded to, we can work extremely hard on something we're actually interested in.

-can't seem to understand that people will disappoint, BUT that they DISAPPOINT deeply

I think I understand pretty well that people aren't perfect, and all of us will disappoint somebody at sometime.

-pay lipservice and will not follow thru- in other words, can be adroit liars and superficial people

I need more specifics on this one too - pay lipservice to what? Will not follow through with what? What does "adroit" mean? I can be superficial, yes, I admit that, but again I don't think that's type specific. Anybody can be superficial. NFs might be the least likely, but even they can be.

-STILL waters DO NOT run deep

What does that mean?

-good at being quiet, BUT NOT LISTENING...boy, this happens all the time

I'm a really good listener when I'm paying attention. Yes, you do have to get my attention because I am always in the middle of something. That's just how I am, I'm not going to be sitting, twiddling my thumbs, waiting for someone to talk to me, I'm going to be DOING something with my time. But if I am focused on the person speaking, then I listen VERY well, and remember even the small details. Ask anyone who has chatted with me on Ventrilo here how often I will recall from memory what they said the night before, the week before, the month before, or longer.

My mother and I actually came to an agreement about this. When I am driving and she is a passenger on long car trips, she likes to talk because it makes her feel less nervous about the trip, but she knows I won't be listening the whole time, so I told her if there's something she really wants me to remember, to get my attention and I will listen hard to that, but otherwise I will tune her out some and focus on the things I enjoy when driving such as the scenery and the roads and the music I've got playing, and just the feel of the drive and the experience.

-want to be liked and loved but won't risk intimately alot of the time

already addressed and pretty much admitted to this one

-can be either good or LOUSy lovers

Like the others said, this one can apply to anybody.

-deadpan and boring-poker face to the max and you just can't get a feel for where they are at all

Definitely not true for me, like I said, I have a very expressive face, and don't hide my feelings.

-can be emotionally very dead once they give up, which you will likely never know because they won't tell you

Don't know what this is about, give up on what?

-can be very selfish with their THINGS, but won't share themselves with others

Not true for me, I like sharing things and myself with others.

-terrible at verbal communication

I think this used to be true, but I have developed my verbal communication skills a lot with time and experience. It all came down to confidence, and I am much more confident now than I used to be.

-i have known a few that were CHEATERS and very disloyal- others that were very loyal and were faithful

Yeah, you just said we can be either, and again this can apply to any type.

-have terrible attitudes about money...just either won't budget or won't compromise

I have a GREAT attitude about money. I believe it should be used to enjoy life! :D Budget, smudget. I make sure my son's needs are taken care of, and I also make sure he has plenty of opportunity to have fun, get exercise, learn new stuff, etc. Sure, I do get in a jam now and then, but I always figure out a way to get out of it. I always have, so I figure I always will. :cool:

-NEED kindness from others, but when you ask for somethign specific from them, they won't be kind in return

Not true for me, you ask me for something specific, I will do my best to help you however I can. It is the vague requests that I have trouble meeting, not the specific ones.

-can have serious issues with using others and lying

Hmmmm...using others - I don't try to. Or only if someone lets me maybe? I dunno, it's too vague again. I guess you could say I have used my girlfriends, but then they've used me too, and only to the extent that we let each other. I used to lie a lot, not so much anymore. But almost never in a sinister way - always just embellishing stories that I thought weren't exciting enough or to my parents to try to avoid getting in trouble as a kid.

-won't fight for what is right or valued, will NOT stand up for family or anyone for that matter, but boy try and say no to their latest "toy" want

I'd need to know a specific situation and how I would "fight" or "stand up" for someone. I feel I would do anything I ever could for my son. And I am quick to defend anyone I feel is unfairly attacked, it is a natural instinct with me. Sometimes I even go too far in that and defend someone who didn't need it.

-will refuse to apologize for hurts they caused, but boy, you sure are expected to bend for them

I can admit I have been stubborn about apologizing if I didn't feel like I did anything wrong. It's like giving up a piece of my freedom to bow down to standards that I don't accept.

--sometimes strive for this inner ideal but won't care to do the work necessary to understand the monetary or social cost. they will decide this on a moment's notice sometimes and then expect you to foot the bill.

Again, too vague for me to know what to say about this one.

-some are extremely insecure, but this is true with all types

-can make themselves sick because of the avoidance tendencies.

I think I used to do this, I had to shift as I matured. Now I have a quicker temper, but I get over stuff quicker now too. I don't let it build to sickness levels.

--and lastly, they can absolutely HATE someone, but they will remain invisible and without opinion bec. they want you to think they actually like you!, when they don't- after all, who hates the UN-opinioned?

I don't hate anyone. I certainly don't like EVERYBODY, but I do my best to love them.

Remember, this is nearly 30 years of working with MBTI types. I don't mean to sound like they are all like this. I consider all their development over their lifetimes...some are very good people and very loving, in their way, but the other version just seem to have turned into the evil twin...Its like they go to the dark side and just camp there.....

your comments, thoughts, feedback????

Remember that all people are still individuals. And even if you have encountered 300 people that typed as ISFP, the next 300 could be quite different in some ways. Obviously there are some things we have in common, that's what makes us identify ourselves in this way, but a lot of situation-based stuff goes into what makes up our total personality. I like what David Keirsey wrote about the difference between temperament and character. Temperament is our inborn traits and character is our learned traits. Two people can start from the same basic framework and lead very different lives because of the different decisions they make in similar situations.

wolfy

awsm
I'm going to copy Quinlan and give my thoughts in bold.

I'm version 2 probably.

This is indeed very different..i haven't ever seen answers like this from an isfp...i take you at your word that you are one, but i definitely baffled by a few of your answers....very very different

thanks for the response

I'm as ISFP as they come. Which answers baffle you?

On conflict avoidance. I personally feel it's just as valid to walk away from people you don't get along with. People don't change.

It depends on the relationship. I've been in the same relationship 17 years. Might be 18 years now. I lost count...

Skyline

Pecan111, I don't want to be or come off as mean or smth, but to me it sounds like you are still bothered by some of the personal difficulties you had with an isfp or isfp's in the past... Which might make you feel like the isfp's ways stand out so much, yet as you'll keep on talking to people and seeing other types too, I hope you will be able to feel more eased about isfp's and people in general perhaps.
Ehm... All of these traits might indeed be found in all of the isfp's you tried to analyze so deeply, but I am sure in any other personality you'd find all kinds of stuff like that back if you'd analyze them very closely too. Some might be more typical to isfp's than others, etc etc, but eventually, I don't think it's so black and white either.
I appreciate your effort though. Very much so.
This has been insightful 'n stuff :) I've enjoyed reading this thread. I haven't even finished to be honest 'cause it's a lot to take in a once lol :p.
[Tell me if I missed out on something when posting this message 'cause I haven't read everything (yet ).]
I agree with jeffster pointing out the fact that all people are still individuals...this kinda backs up what I'm saying here...

pecan111

Pecan111, I don't want to be or come off as mean or smth, but to me it sounds like you are still bothered by some of the personal difficulties you had with an isfp or isfp's in the past... Which might make you feel like the isfp's ways stand out so much, yet as you'll keep on talking to people and seeing other types too, I hope you will be able to feel more eased about isfp's and people in general perhaps

i don't feel that you are being mean...i just dont' think people are seeing what was meant to convey by this "challenge"...

I know us entp's can be very debating styles and love to play devil's advocate...and i know it can be irritating at times...but it makes you think, doesn't it?
...maybe not the way you would like, but I have been pointing out things I have noticed about any number of isfp's...I NEVER said all of them were this way. I feel you all are harping on this...The focus isn't ALL isfp's...the focus is on isfp's tendencies that have been observed in a number of them..I could list a number of good qualities as well, but that was not the question put forth. I even asked if you wanted to know..I didn't just list them and scream holy hell. Two of you said to "go ahead"...well, I did...now everyone wants me to backtrack or decide that I am wrong..

If you think I am wrong, think that..I am not going to change my mind. If you think there is some validity in what I say, well that is fine too..YOu are not here to all agree with me, BUT I did make you think a bit...it made you uncomfortable sometimes, didn't it? That was supposed to happen...In life, I have learned that most people tend to ride the white line, no questions, dont ask, don't ponder, not really challenge the status quo. WEll, us entp's have this need to question these things...

I do believe that the things I mentioned are REAL, they just aren't the totality of isfp's....I dont' belive these are all isfp's, but they do represent tendencies. Lastly, and this is for the LAST TIME...type theory is on a continum...YOU can NEVER say that any type ALWAYS does somethign or ALWAYS does NOT do something.. More than a few times on this forum have i seen this type of reaction...All of you are being extremely unfair to both yourselves and other when you say that ALL INTJ's are such and such..The older I get the more I am sure that you must consider childhood, development, parents, schooling, geography, adolescence and beyond in order to truly assess an individual...all the uniqueness of an individual cannot be encapsulated by MBTI....it never will..

Do you guys really want a hiring manager to see you in black and white by reading a profile that might only describe 60% of you? Do you want to be pigeonholed? If you don't worry about such things, you really should think about how you decide about others, because the way you tend to pigeonhole on this forum HAPPENS in work. Some tolerance for other ways of looking at things might be worth considering...

Everyone has dark sides, EVERYONE....no one is perfect, no one is the best at social or interpersonal skills...but if you look at the thread prior to me entering in,,,,there was essentially nothing but praise for isfp's..

I Dare you to know, love and live with an isfp or any other type, that you would have no issues with.. It doesn't happen and never will.

I do want to say one comment about the word "CONFLICT"...i read all the comments on conflict from the isfp's side of things...any number are ok with their ideas, however there is one side of this deal that needs to be clarified...CONFLICT does not equal yelling, screaming.

My definition of CONFLICT will include having an ISFP lie or withhold from me when asked a direct question. If something is holding you back from saying how you feel, there is no reason you can not state something like, "I don't feel comfortable talking about that"...There is no excuse anymore as an adult to continually sit there and stare. That is going to evenutally CREATE true conflict because it is your behavior that engenders it. I note that I have had this happen to me and I am not a happy camper when the thing they won't talk about happens to affect the whole family and puts us all in a bind...That is not fair, kind, loving. That is sh***ty! unkind, unloving, unfair and sometimes dangerous.

I have seen this in LOTS of isfp's and other feelers in general, but isfp's appear to have this run and hide mentality the most. For those of you who have overcome it or never had this issue, that is great. YOu may have different preferences or background, but there ARE isfp's that have great great difficulty with this word and issue. YOu can not run and hide all your life and expect someone to keep accepting it, without consequence. i truly don't think any type who cares about you will put up with the extreme version of this behavior..and there are isfp's that do this...since we don't have huge numbers of this type represented on this forum, i can't speak for them, but i sure as hell wish i could get their input..it would be across the spectrum, but the mere mention of disagreement or conflict sets them running, whether mentally or physically. I am simply saying that by using this behavior as the only means to "deal" with conflict will ENSURE conflict. If you can't see this, there is no hope of ever really having a life that is real...you can avoid every situation in your life from now on, if that is what you wish, BUT things have a way of coming back to you and I do belive you will reap what you sow...

now, i am ending this thread bec. we aren't going to convince each other of our opinions....that is ok...i never did get the why's of the behaviors and it will never get there bec. everyone is too busy looking at other issues now...for the record, I just wanted to KNOW THE WHY's of some of their behaviors....not the validity of them...

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Pecan I really appreciated your thoughts in this thread and they have given me a lot to think about, I realised that
YOU can NEVER say that any type ALWAYS does somethign or ALWAYS does NOT do something..
was implied throughout the discussion. We ISFPs love to look at the brightside but it would be a pity if you gave up on this thread, understanding the unhealthy side of ISFPs is very interesting.

If somethign is holding you back from saying how you feel, there is no reason you can not state something like >"I don't feel comfortable talking about that"...There is no excuse anymore as an adult to continually sit there and stare.

By sitting there and staring, isn't the fact they're uncomfortable talking about it obvious/implied?

wolfy

awsm
I do want to say one comment about the word "CONFLICT"...i read all the comments on conflict from the isfp's side of things...any number are ok with their ideas, however there is one side of this deal that needs to be clarified...CONFLICT does not equal yelling, screaming.

My definition of CONFLICT will include having an ISFP lie or withhold from me when asked a direct question. If something is holding you back from saying how you feel, there is no reason you can not state something like, "I don't feel comfortable talking about that"...There is no excuse anymore as an adult to continually sit there and stare. That is going to evenutally CREATE true conflict because it is your behavior that engenders it. I note that I have had this happen to me and I am not a happy camper when the thing they won't talk about happens to affect the whole family and puts us all in a bind...That is not fair, kind, loving. That is sh***ty! unkind, unloving, unfair and sometimes dangerous.

I have seen this in LOTS of isfp's and other feelers in general, but isfp's appear to have this run and hide mentality the most. For those of you who have overcome it or never had this issue, that is great. YOu may have different preferences or background, but there ARE isfp's that have great great difficulty with this word and issue. YOu can not run and hide all your life and expect someone to keep accepting it, without consequence. i truly don't think any type who cares about you will put up with the extreme version of this behavior..and there are isfp's that do this...since we don't have huge numbers of this type represented on this forum, i can't speak for them, but i sure as hell wish i could get their input..it would be across the spectrum, but the mere mention of disagreement or conflict sets them running, whether mentally or physically. I am simply saying that by using this behavior as the only means to "deal" with conflict will ENSURE conflict. If you can't see this, there is no hope of ever really having a life that is real...you can avoid every situation in your life from now on, if that is what you wish, BUT things have a way of coming back to you and I do belive you will reap what you sow...

now, i am ending this thread bec. we aren't going to convince each other of our opinions....that is ok...i never did get the why's of the behaviors and it will never get there bec. everyone is too busy looking at other issues now...for the record, I just wanted to KNOW THE WHY's of some of their behaviors....not the validity of them...

It's a pity you're leaving the thread. It was just getting interesting. As for the above I have been guilty of this.

I'm still curious which answers baffled you. Oh well...

It was fun
Rugby_Muddy.jpg

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
P.S. Stop deleting your posts out of the thread, it makes the whole us running away from conflict thing sort of irrelevant.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
im not familiar with any ISFPs on this board besides Jeffster and Sunshine, but they're definitely cool and likable people in my book. :newwink:

:cool: Back at ya, rawr.

I even asked if you wanted to know..I didn't just list them and scream holy hell. Two of you said to "go ahead"...well, I did...now everyone wants me to backtrack or decide that I am wrong..

Nah, I never asked you to backtrack or decide that you're wrong. In fact, I don't think anybody else did either. This might be the source of some of your conflicts with SPs. We tend to say what we mean and then people read stuff into it that isn't there and leave us saying "well, if you're gonna make stuff up, instead of responding to what we actually say, then forget it." My ISFP brethren and I simply responded to your list by indicating the things that did and did not apply to us. I think it was a good exchange myself. INCLUDING the parts that made me feel a bit uncomfortable.

Sorry, I started this thread, and you're not me or a moderator so you can't end it. But I'd be happy to discuss some of those "KNOW THE WHY's" with you if ya want. I thought we were just getting warmed up.

And what the heck? Did you delete some of your earlier posts? You're making my topic look all disjointed. And that's a far worse sin than calling me a lazy emo liar with no communication skills. ;)

Holy hell Jeffster, look at what you've done!

A. Man, if I had a dollar for every time I've heard THAT! :D

OR

B. Yeah, I started another 5 star topic! :cool:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Look at the Ginga on the left! Must have been hanging out on the wing filing his nails the whole game.