Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    Yeah, all the descriptions for Ns are based on a best possible scenario where the S types are described as average slobs.

INTP: brilliant physicist, mathematician, theoretical something or other with a rich mental world.

ISTP: grease monkey who drives too fast.

Type descriptions are bullshit.
    Consequently, I think it's an SJ who most likely has concern for the world -- such as global warming. Such viewpoints do seem to correspond to the Melancholic temperament. Concern for morality also seems more SJ than anything.

And I think the ISTP would probably make a better biologist than the INTP, since biology relies more on detailed observation. Mathematics, I think, are also the sole domain of Thinking and not Intuition, since math is about logical predictions -- what comes next in the pattern is Ti. Mathematics also involves detail work, which is Sensory oriented.

Precision in thought and language is primarily Ti, but I suspect it's also more Sensory-oriented, because precision, of course, involves attention to detail -- and that's exactly what the Intuitive, theoretically, is not good at.

That "grease monkey who drives too fast" analogy you made seems to correspond purely to Se -- the ISTP, I would imagine, would use better judgment than that.

EDIT: I do, however, tend to agree with Personality Page's description of Kid's Types.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ISFx

How about this one? (Or has it been mentioned yet?)

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Consequently, I think it's an SJ who most likely has concern for the world -- such as global warming. Such viewpoints do seem to correspond to the Melancholic temperament. Concern for morality also seems more SJ than anything.

And I think the ISTP would probably make a better biologist than the INTP, since biology relies more on detailed observation. Mathematics, I think, are also the sole domain of Thinking and not Intuition, since math is about logical predictions -- what comes next in the pattern is Ti. Mathematics also involves detail work, which is Sensory oriented.

Precision in thought and language is primarily Ti, but I suspect it's also more Sensory-oriented, because precision, of course, involves attention to detail -- and that's exactly what the Intuitive, theoretically, is not good at.

That "grease monkey who drives too fast" analogy you made seems to correspond purely to Se -- the ISTP, I would imagine, would use better judgment than that.

EDIT: I do, however, tend to agree with Personality Page's description of Kid's Types.
    I was just giving my impression of how type descriptions are unflattering towards S types.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimpei View Post
    No. Keirsey is a dumbass.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    Never heard that one before, but it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Shimpei View Post
    I don't like that one actually...it's short, overly vague, and doesn't really ring true with me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Never heard that one before, but it makes sense.
    ISTP would probably make a better chemist as well, since that's more often sensory experiments. They'd probably also make better computer programmers; that's more detail work than anything.

As for Keirsey's ISTP description, the problem is that it only describes the Extraverted Sensation process. And this is true of all in the Artisan temperament. His original descriptions were good, though.

The best thing that Keirsey has done was his character sorter (not temperament sorter), which you can take at Advisor Team. I guess it's quite reliable in determining your type. And it's free, too.

When I turn to type descriptions, I turn to Berens -- they're eerily accurate.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Well, it depends on how far the said Sensor is willing to delve into this. If they genuinely want to know their type, then I would give the same links I would give anyone:

Cracking the Personality Type Code

Take the MBTI Instrument - CAPT.org

Function Attitude

The DDLI Page

International Association for Analytical Psychology - Abstracts : Vol 6 : Psychological Types

For the typical person who just wants a quick overview and test, I'd suggest:

Free Jung Personality Test

Understanding the Eight Jungian Cognitive Processes / Eight Functions Attitudes

What do you think of those suggestions?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by athenian200 View Post
    Well, it depends on how far the said Sensor is willing to delve into this. If they genuinely want to know their type, then I would give the same links I would give anyone:
    Oh, we figured out his type when we talked. There's no question he's an ISTP; neither of us doubted a single dimension. He mentioned he needs to learn about the typology in order to understand some people in his life better (he didn't go into details).

What do you think of those suggestions?
    Too many links! Seeing so many, I don't think he would even click on one of them.

I've now mailed him the murraystate link that Randomnity recommended in post #2 and hinted that I'd appreciate feedback. I'll keep you posted.