• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Forgetting things

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Does anyone else on here have problems remembering to do things on time or getting distracted and forgetting to do something?

My wife complains because in the morning I make umpteen uneeded trips to the car so I dont forget anything(laptops, snacks, drinks, other crap, clean out cup holders). She wants me to put everything in front of the door so I can take it in one trip. This doesnt work with me though. I will inevitably pick it up, realize I forgot something, walk into the kitchen, put whatever I am holding on the counter, pick up or do what I was thinking about and forget to pick up what I put on the counter. I couldnt tell you how many lunches went in the trash after sitting on the counter all day. Or how many times I ended up stopping at sonic to get my son breakfast because his is sitting on the counter at home. I have lessened the trips, but times like this morning I walk back and forth about 10 times trying to get everything. I will even take 3 things to the car, put 2 in the trunk and instead of putting the third in the front seat, walk back to the house and have to turn around to take the third thing back out to the car.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
If I tell myself to remember something. I guarantee to not remember that said thing when the time comes. :laugh: Its crazy how absent minded I can be..

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Sounds like you need to slow the eff down. Try going for a 20 minutes run in the morning.

phoenity

I can admit to not being a good multi-tasker. I get distracted because I'm paying more attention to internal thoughts that usually don't have anything to do with what I'm actually doing at that particular moment.

One thing that helps me is to actually focus intensely on what I'm doing. After I'm done, I can go back to processing and paying attention to thoughts.

Just be conscious and pay attention to what you're doing.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Does anyone else on here have problems remembering to do things on time or getting distracted and forgetting to do something?

My wife complains because in the morning I make umpteen uneeded trips to the car so I dont forget anything(laptops, snacks, drinks, other crap, clean out cup holders). She wants me to put everything in front of the door so I can take it in one trip. This doesnt work with me though. I will inevitably pick it up, realize I forgot something, walk into the kitchen, put whatever I am holding on the counter, pick up or do what I was thinking about and forget to pick up what I put on the counter. I couldnt tell you how many lunches went in the trash after sitting on the counter all day. Or how many times I ended up stopping at sonic to get my son breakfast because his is sitting on the counter at home. I have lessened the trips, but times like this morning I walk back and forth about 10 times trying to get everything. I will even take 3 things to the car, put 2 in the trunk and instead of putting the third in the front seat, walk back to the house and have to turn around to take the third thing back out to the car.
I have an ISTP husband and he has never been like that.
He actually has an awesome memory and is even more efficient than I am.
I have an 18 year old ISTP son also, and he doesn't do that either.
Is there any chance you might be an "N"?

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
This happens to me sometimes. As far as keys and mobile etc go, I've learned to keep them in my pockets at all times, after using them. It's mechanical now, so I don't usually leave those lying around as much.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I forget everything. Keys, wallet, cell phone, writing implements, appointments, etc. (But my whole family does, excepting my ESTJ dad.) When I go in my car at least I bound to not leaving a place without my keys. :laugh:

(Last week of COURSE, I found my ATM card the day I finally reported it missing after looking for it for three weeks.)

You just got to slow down and take inventory sometimes. Writing down things helps too. Routine, at least one that helps you get everything in the morning, is your friend.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Forgot what I was gonna write.

But I do forget a lot of things. Unfortunately I've developed some obsessive compulsive tendencies in order to remember. Repeatedly hitting the car lock button. Patting down my pockets to make sure I have my wallet. Looking at my feat a lot to make sure my shoes are on. That sort of stuff.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Repeatedly hitting the car lock button.

Shit, the other day I must have hit the lock button 3 times in a row, and then just I was about to enter the elevator (i live in a flat) I still came back outside to check if I really had left it locked :doh:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm really bad for that. I could have written your original post, and I forget many other things too... What helps to a degree: lists, routines, and always keeping things in the same place (a variation on routine, I guess). And obsessively double/triple checking on things I often forget, that are important (is my alarm on? do I have my wallet? keys? bus pass? etc)

I don't think N's have a lock on absent-mindedness/forgetfulness. :)

Brouhaha

MBTI Type
ISTP
Ugh, I know exactly what you mean. When I lived at home and was going out somewhere I'd come back into the house like 3 or 4 times before I'd actually leave.

Now I'm at college and at first I'd forget the key to my room all the time. In the end I just had to get one of those sticky hooks you can hang on the wall and put it right next to the door so that I see the key every time I leave the room. Doesn't always work, but I'm doing far better than I did before I hung it.