User Tag List

First 234

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Reading this thread, I still don't really get the difference between "values" and "principles". I mean, should your values (how important you hold things) really be so different from your principles (your general rulebook/guide on how to act)?

Quote Originally Posted by happy puppy View Post
    My ISTP ex husband and I talked very littlein our ten years. The few times we had conversations they would end up like the above conversation. Once we got into a huge brawl at pizza hut becuase I said I didnt want to live in a town close by as it was the epitome of urban sprawl. Then he said "you think you are better than those poeple?" I tried to explain it wasnt the people but just the abstract concept that I didnt like.

He called me an elitist, intellectual, arrogant pig and we didnt talk for a couple of days.

What he didnt get I guess was the emotional undertone of my conversation and assumed that my emotional judgement was a value judgement maybe?
    Ha. This is exactly the sort of argument I can easily get into with my INFP friend (or my ENFX mom). Though to be fair, I usually try to be reasonable and suss out the *particular*/specific reaction which provokes the "emotional judgement".

But really, my gut reaction to generalized gut reactions that I disagree from people I don't know very well is a torrent of ranting. Using lots of "-ist" words. ("Sexist" is my favorite, though "elistist" probably isn't uncommon either.) Ironically this incredible reaction is usually based on me drawing perhaps unneccesary connection, connecting the person making the statement to the whole subset of people I might imagine making that sort of statement.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Reading this thread, I still don't really get the difference between "values" and "principles". I mean, should your values (how important you hold things) really be so different from your principles (your general rulebook/guide on how to act)?
    No, they shouldn't be too different. Agreed.

I think the difference boils down to this (these are MY interpretations of the definitions):

A principle is a method of conduct that you follow because you believe/know it is true, not necessarily because you like it.

A value is something you believe in because (as per the definition provided by "?", post #20) you hold an "affective regard" to it. Simplified, you follow it because you like it. I don't think this is dramatically different from you def. of value above.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    XXFP

I hope this will clarify instead of confusing.
    (You've seen these before - finger:hand::toe:foot)

principle:positive statement::value:normative statement.

Positive statements are factual statements that attempt to describe reality.
    Normative statements affirm how things ought to be.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Ahhh. I see...