• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] Changing into an ESTP?

Unique

As a kid before the age of of 13-14 I was defiantly not an ESTP. I used to avoid people and day dream! Yes thats right I was an INTP :yes:

I'd like to challenge those who think your MBTI type cannot change over time. I decided I didn't like who I was back then at all. I remember having very few friends...

So I stopped being that daydreamer that was constantly thinking of all sorts of random ideas, started living in the now, became more aware of my surroundings and finally started interacting more with people... and you know what.

ITS GREAT

Heres to being ESTP!

| E 60% | S 60% | T 90% | P 95% |

Last edited by a moderator:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When I was younger I'm pretty sure I was an INTP.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
You don't have to challenge me, you and I agree on this theory. I used to be way more E only a couple of years ago, then evolved into the I that I am today. I was ESTP. I personally think you can change over time, but it's a more gradual process.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'd like to challenge those who think your MBTI type cannot change over time. I decided I didn't like who I was back then at all. I remember having very few friends...

What is the challenge exactly?

I was quite different in many ways as a child too, I don't think daydreaming as a child means you are introverted or intuitive. I don't really think type changes, it just may not be easily observable until you fully develop.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Yeppers! I was less extroverted and less here and now in my youth, probably because I had kind of a stressful childhood and just wanted to keep things together and as close to normal as possible. But once I got to be about in 7th grade I began to hatch. I had alot to say, I was always in a good modd, and I genuinely liked people and interacting with all kinds of situations. So here I am. God help you all.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
If you didn't like being that way then it was never a natural preference.

Developing your social skills and Se is unrelated.

Unique

You don't have to challenge me, you and I agree on this theory. I used to be way more E only a couple of years ago, then evolved into the I that I am today. I was ESTP. I personally think you can change over time, but it's a more gradual process.

Absolutely it takes time and you have to want the change on some level subconsciously or consciously.

Unique

If you didn't like being that way then it was never a natural preference.

Developing your social skills and Se is unrelated.

I still struggle with it sometimes and slip into long periods of introvertness but its much easier now and comes more naturally to me

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
OK lets say you were an INTP.

As an introvert why would you be so bothered by having few friends?

As an intuitive why would your daydreaming bother you at all?

What is more likely is you were a ESTP and it was your extraversion and Se that made you want to develop better social skills and awareness.

Udog

Seriously Delirious
MBTI Type
INfp
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As a kid before the age of of 13-14 I was defiantly not an ESTP. I used to avoid people and day dream! Yes thats right I was an INTP :yes:

So I stopped being that daydreamer that was constantly thinking of all sorts of random ideas, started living in the now, became more aware of my surroundings and finally started interacting more with people... and you know what.

ITS GREAT

Heres to being ESTP!
Luke

| E 60% | S 60% | T 90% | P 95% |

You're here; you're not really ESTP.

:D

Unique

OK lets say you were an INTP.

As an introvert why would you be so bothered by having few friends?

As an intuitive why would your daydreaming bother you at all?

What is more likely is you were a ESTP and it was your extraversion and Se that made you want to develop better social skills and awareness.

Interesting theory but that stuff didn't bother me back then at all and it still doesn't bother me today but I decided I didn't like it as much as I would being a people person.

So you're saying it is because I'm extraverted that I wanted to become more extraverted? (social skills as you put it) Sorry but that just doesn't make sense. You must COME from introversion and GO to extraversion you don't start at the end.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Interesting theory but that stuff didn't bother me back then at all and it still doesn't bother me today but I decided I didn't like it as much as I would being a people person.

Well then it obviously DID bother you at least a little bit, because if you were content with being a "non-people person" then you would have stayed that way. :D

Unique

Well then it obviously DID bother you at least a little bit, because if you were content with being a "non-people person" then you would have stayed that way. :D

My point is though if I was not an introvert back then what was I?

If you say extravert then I really haven't stressed enough how much I avoided people and preferred my time alone

Lots of development happens to people around this age and I believe that my view of life did change

I realized that without action theory is useless

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I decided I didn't like it as much as I would being a people person.

= confirmation of a preference

So you're saying it is because I'm extraverted that I wanted to become more extraverted? (social skills as you put it) Sorry but that just doesn't make sense. You must COME from introversion and GO to extraversion you don't start at the end.

Being extraverted doesn't mean you have good social skills, a desire to interact will likely lead you to develop social skills.

So you went from an extravert with not so good social skills to an extravert with good social skills, both are equally extraverted.

Unique

= confirmation of a preference

Being extraverted doesn't mean you have good social skills, a desire to interact will likely lead you to develop social skills.

So you went from an extravert with not so good social skills to an extravert with good social skills, both are equally extraverted.

That sounds plausible actually

maliafee

ITS GREAT

Heres to being ESTP!
Luke

To that, I gotta ask, how are your large motor skills?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
When I was a child... well.... I used to day dream a lot.

I was considered to be "quite different" from my fellow friends. Most of my games were outside the grasp of "ordinary" children. Somehow, I was quite aloof, but as the extremely gifted kid I was then, I didn't have the choice. Tell me, how could my fellow nine year old kids be interested with concepts like valence of the atoms, or the transition between romanesque to gothic architecture?

But in the same time, I already was a kind of class clown, very popular, the scourge of my teachers. I enjoyed that. They were both fascinated and horrified with my behavior. Fascinated, because as some of my former teachers confessed me, they never saw someone like me in their entire career... And horrified, because some of them understood I already was more clever and knowledgeable than they would ever be, even as full grown adults.

As far as I remember, I've always liked people, but people couldn't easily interact with me. It took me years to allow them to understand me.

Well. I'd say I already was an ENTP, somehow. I've always been.

So I have to admit that changing from your original type is a somewhat alien concept to me. But why not?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
When I was a child... well.... I used to day dream a lot.

I was considered to be "quite different" from my fellow friends. Most of my games were outside the grasp of "ordinary" children. Somehow, I was quite aloof, but as the extremely gifted kid I was then, I didn't have the choice. Tell me, how could my fellow nine year old kids be interested with concepts like valence of the atoms, or the transition between romanesque to gothic architecture?

But in the same time, I already was a kind of class clown, very popular, the scourge of my teachers. I enjoyed that. They were both fascinated and horrified with my behavior. Fascinated, because as some of my former teachers confessed me, they never saw someone like me in their entire career... And horrified, because some of them understood I already was more clever and knowledgeable than they would ever be, even as full grown adults.

As far as I remember, I always liked people, but people couldn't easily interact with me. It took me years to allow them to understand me.

Well. I'd say I already was an ENTP, somehow. I've always were.

So I have to admit that changing from your original type is a somewhat alien concept to me. But why not?

kinda the same. Always been the kid interested in adults talks, the one 8 years old knowing about stars and black holes and so on and devouring huge books when all the other kids could hardly read.
Then life decided to add some hardship into the mix (long story) and spent years acting like an unhappy introvert losing my usual status of former demonic brat bursting with energy.

Always been the guy with the right joke in the class, been using the system to my advantage for as far as I can remember, being the one guy who'd skip half the classes or pass tests he didn't take.

Always been awfully lazy with school matters, never did study at all and will spend all the time when I'm\I'm was supposed to study reading\doing anything BUT the lessons. Somehow got to become a student. Still lazy but grew up a bit :cheese:

Never been as unhappy as in my 'introvert' years. I was constantly depressed, had no motivation what so ever, felt out of synch with the rest of the world. I finally even lost all interest in the intellectual world (or almost). I didn't want to think and lived a life of absolute boredom;

Took me quite a while to fix myself.
The best thing in my life has been leaving high school after my a level and being able to really start over and rebuild myself.
All my experiences taught me alot, and it's not in my nature to regret because it's what I am. and hey, done is done.
Life's good :D

ps: haven't slept in a while, so don't you complain about sucky posts! :whistling: