User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    Ixxx

Quote Originally Posted by Costrin View Post
    Ha, okay good point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukepd View Post
    Well I wouldn't be quoting you if I didn't think this was a good post...I believe it was Se that was developed.

I now can see that my Ti was overdeveloped and Se underdeveloped at a younger age and that doesn't mean my type was different from ESTP.

Which makes sense because my percentages of S and E are much lower than that of my T
    Thanks.
    But I don't think what I wrote made sense. I thought your Se would have been the strongest, and your reason for avoiding people and daydreaming was that all the information you took in through Se was being worked over in an intense but haphazard way by your auxiliary, Ti. I thought maybe you were externally active, but couldn't interact with people well, until you started using your Fe more. With that scenario I thought it was plausible that you could be an ESTP, however now I'm just confused. Guess there's maybe just a little more to be learned.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8 sx
    Socionics
    --- Te

Quote Originally Posted by LeonardoLestat View Post
    Well... maybe you were just an ESTP 'in hiding'

Man, that's funny.

MBTI
    Ixxx

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Two questions, can you daydream with Ti since for all purposes it is a present oriented function? Si and Ni go into the past or future. And if you are daydreaming would that not mean you're somewhere other than the present? Otherwise you really not daydreaming at all, but in deep thought. Also, if you tone down your auxilary then I would think that you create greater imbalance. I am not even sure that I can tone down my dominant function Ti instead would my Se for balance.
    My understanding is that daydreaming is essentially thinking about things haphazardly and I think Costrin has the right idea about Ti being atemporal. I think I see daydreaming basically as what you call "deep thought", but with the distinctions that with daydreaming the point of focus can change at random and the mood is more dreamy than serious.

MBTI
    TiSe

Ti isn't a present oriented function. At least not for me. Its atemporal. Probably for STPs it can seem present oriented because its getting information from Se, while for NTPs it wouldn't be.
    Totally disagree. You don't use Ti to consider something in the future or past like you can Si/Ni. Instead you use the function to analyze what is presently in front of you or on your mind at that present. How can it be anything other than present-tense? Ti does not work on it's own without being fed by Se or Ne.
    Introverted Thinking - Analyzing, categorizing, and figuring out how something works. Introverted Thinking often involves finding just the right word to clearly express an idea concisely, crisply, and to the point. Using introverted Thinking is like having an internal sense of the essential qualities of something, noticing the fine distinctions that make it what it is and then naming it. It also involves an internal reasoning process of deriving subcategories of classes and sub-principles of general principles. These can then be used in problem solving, analysis, and refining of a product or an idea. This process is evidenced in behaviors like taking things or ideas apart to figure out how they work. The analysis involves looking at different sides of an issue and seeing where there is inconsistency. In so doing, there is a search for a "leverage point" that will fix problems with the least amount of effort or damage to the system.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by xx00oo00xx View Post
    My understanding is that daydreaming is essentially thinking about things haphazardly and I think Costrin has the right idea about Ti being atemporal. I think I see daydreaming basically as what you call "deep thought", but with the distinctions that with daydreaming the point of focus can change at random and the mood is more dreamy than serious.
    I believe you just clarified why Ti cannot be used to daydream. Berens' makes a good comparison of Ni and Ti in saying, "The difference is when we are engaging in Ti, we usually have a clear sense of the principles or models something is judged against, whereas with Ni an impressionistic image forms in the mind."

If you have ever read Lenore Thompson's book, she gives an applicable illustration of Ti in stealing a base by having to instantly measure the ability to steal in how fast the pitcher is throwing to how fast the runner is and measuring all at once the probability. Folks Ti is always used in the present, never in the future or past. I don't see where anything can be considered daydreaming if you are focusing on a present situation.

i heard entp and estp claim that they were introverted in childhood. actually the estp used the word "autistic". don't think he knew, with what he was comparing himself (or cared to be precise). not an uncommon claim for enfp as well.

I've realized, that as I'm getting older I'm turning into an ENTJ, I used to be a hardcore ENFP and now I'm slightly more of an ENTP than an ENFP and my P is definately turning into a J

Teen angst anyone? lolz
    Men are like parking spaces/the good ones are always taken and the ones left are handicapped or to small.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    LII

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Totally disagree. You don't use Ti to consider something in the future or past like you can Si/Ni. Instead you use the function to analyze what is presently in front of you or on your mind at that present. How can it be anything other than present-tense? Ti does not work on it's own without being fed by Se or Ne.
    If what is being fed to Ti isn't related to the current situation, then it would be daydreaming, right?
    "All humour has a foundation of truth."
    - Costrin

MBTI
    TiSe

If what is being fed to Ti isn't related to the current situation, then it would be daydreaming, right?
    Could be. All perceiving functions consider the past experience (Si-Se) or future possibilies (N-Ne). However from my understanding when Se-Ne are considering possibilities, they are getting it from the object directly in front of them. Back to Linda V. Berens, her comparison of Se-Ne is:
    Se and Ne are both simultaneous in nature and involved in perceptions of many things at once. This can lead to random activity as the outer world is scanned for additional information. With Se there in an emphasis on possibilities for actions to take. With Ne there is an emphasis on possibilities to be considered for action
    Based on that, even the feeding of Ti is present-tense since it takes some sort of action by the extraverted auxiliary function at the present moment, ergo what is being fed can cause deep contemplation and analysis by Ti. But is that daydreaming since the user may become oblvious to their immediate environment, but they are not thinking haphazzardly as connoted in daydreaming.