• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Sensor Intelligence

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Another thread suggested the usefulness of starting this one.

What are some areas of intelligence ideally suited to Sensing functions?

Mechanical intelligence is an obvious one, but i was also wondering if having a photographic memory could be an example of Sensory genius? There is also a kind of kinesthetic intelligence seen in athletes: that is, having immediacy in interacting with ones body, having an (dare I say it...) intuitive feel for how the body is capable of acting. There is also an aspect of artisan intelligence: that is, knowing how to combine elements of the concrete world to create sensory pleasure as in cutlery, sound, visual objects, dance, etc.

The aspects of Sensory intelligence as I understand them are:

1. Ability to trouble shoot, solve problems, and create using concrete elements in the external world.

2. The ability to remember and amass a great many details.

3. The ability to distill information and an activity down to those elements most practical and of immediate use.

What say ye?

Varelse

Wait, what?
MBTI Type
INTJ
1. Ability to trouble shoot, solve problems, and create using concrete elements in the external world.

3. The ability to distill information and an activity down to those elements most practical and of immediate use.

What say ye?
Those sound appropriate, espescially 3.

Naturalistic intelligence could also be a Sensor strength. And artistic intelligence I can certainly see-my mother has knowledge of decorating, floral arrangement, etc, and does a good job with all of it.

:nice:

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Intelligence, according to wikipedia, is the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend ideas and abilities, and learn.

Sensors are perfectly able to do any of that (even think abstractly--preference is not the same thing as ability, even if the two often correlate). There's really no need for separate intelligence descriptions for intuitives and sensors....isn't it more how that intelligence is applied/directed that makes a difference?

The traits you describe don't really seem like intelligence to me, but instead useful skills/common sense things arguably more common in sensors...your points seem reasonable in general, I just see them as separate from intelligence. With the exception of your first point, but hopefully problem solving (and common sense for that matter) isn't limited to sensors!

What I would be more interested in seeing is a side-to-side comparison of how sensors and intuitives prefer to direct their intelligence.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
This is how the AMERICAN ASSOCIATION ON INTELLECTUAL AND DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES defines intelligence and some others from a general search.

I'd think that a way to distinguish sensor intelligence from intuitive intelligence is to first understand what intelligence is generally and Randomnity suggested. You can whittle away at it from there.

Does this definition of intelligence seem to be more skewed to sensor intelligence? I don't know, it seems like basic life skills to me.

What is Intelligence?
Intelligence refers to a general mental capability. It involves the ability to reason, plan, solve problems, think abstractly, comprehend complex ideas, learn quickly, and learn from experience. Although not perfect, intelligence is represented by Intelligent Quotient (IQ) scores obtained from standardized tests given by a trained professional. In regard to the intellectual criterion for the diagnosis of mental retardation, mental retardation is generally thought to be present if an individual has an IQ test score of approximately 70 or below. An obtained IQ score must always be considered in light of its standard error of measurement, appropriateness, and consistency with administration guidelines. Since the standard error of measurement for most IQ tests is approximately 5, the ceiling may go up to 75. This represents a score approximately 2 standard deviations below the mean, considering the standard error of measurement. It is important to remember, however, that an IQ score is only one aspect in determining if a person has mental retardation. Significant limitations in adaptive behavior skills and evidence that the disability was present before age 18 are two additional elements that are critical in determining if a person has mental retardation.

What is Adaptive Behavior?
Adaptive behavior is the collection of conceptual, social, and practical skills that people have learned so they can function in their everyday lives. Significant limitations in adaptive behavior impact a person's daily life and affect the ability to respond to a particular situation or to the environment.

Limitations in adaptive behavior can be determined by using standardized tests that are normed on the general population including people with disabilities and people without disabilities. On these standardized measures, significant limitations in adaptive behavior are operationally defined as performance that is at least 2 standard deviations below the mean of either (a) one of the following three types of adaptive behavior: conceptual, social, or practical, or (b) an overall score on a standardized measure of conceptual, social, and practical skills.

What are some specific examples of Adaptive Behavior Skills?
Conceptual Skills
Receptive and expressive language
Reading and writing
Money concepts
Self-directions

Social Skills
Interpersonal
Responsibility
Self-esteem
Gullibility (likelihood of being tricked or manipulated)
Naivete
Follows rules
Obeys laws
Avoids victimization

Practical Skills
Personal activities of daily living such as eating, dressing, mobility and toileting. Instrumental activities of daily living such as preparing meals, taking medication, using the telephone, managing money, using transportation and doing housekeeping activities.
Occupational skills
Maintaining a safe environment

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Not to split hairs, but in terms of IQ, sensors are grouped in the average category (91-109), while intuitives are grouped higher.

Unlike what is assumed, however, it is generally believed that those with lower IQ develop their sensing skills as a way to compensate. IOW, personality doesn't define IQ. (KAIT)

It is also a subset of openness and little to do with the imagination/creative aspects of N/Openness (if memory serves me correctly). So there is a rather large correlation between abstract sub-traits and gF (I think), while gC seems to just be hanging about equally (although still gapped, with a preference for openness type traits - the willingness to learn and grow).

The reason why this doesn't manifest itself universally is because there is a huge overlap despite the binomial distribution of S/N, and simply because Ss don't do any worse in the workplace, statistically speaking. Just like the N side, the STJs cannibalise the SFs and the STPs (NTJs doing the same to the other side) to become vastly over represented. If you normally distribute the factors, the correlation is about 0.3, I think, which isn't very significant. Course, when you segment the population into a 25/33-75/66 split, you are going to get a wider gap.

What is normally misunderstood is that while Ns are unique good at taking IQ tests, this is because all of the gF loaded tests require abstract thinking. By definition, N's will be better at it. What it doesn't note is that there are very few to no success factors involved. Not money, not happiness... There is a correlation between IQ and wealth and a few others, but for the most part, very little.

*shrug*

The problems start when someone starts using these averages as something meaningful. Saying N's are smarter is like saying blacks commit more crimes. Statistically true (in some locations), but irrelevent except for research purposes. It is done to find information, to find causes and to find correlations. Applying it to individuals or groups isn't any better than building upon the same model as racism.

I really hope pt jumps into this thread. :yes:

:D As you wish.

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
Another thread suggested the usefulness of starting this one.

What are some areas of intelligence ideally suited to Sensing functions?

Mechanical intelligence is an obvious one, but i was also wondering if having a photographic memory could be an example of Sensory genius? There is also a kind of kinesthetic intelligence seen in athletes: that is, having immediacy in interacting with ones body, having an (dare I say it...) intuitive feel for how the body is capable of acting. There is also an aspect of artisan intelligence: that is, knowing how to combine elements of the concrete world to create sensory pleasure as in cutlery, sound, visual objects, dance, etc.

What say ye?

I don't think eidetic memory is strictly a Sensorish area of expertise, and I have no trouble doing all three of the things you've listed.

I think Randomnity is onto something with the fact that the divide is probably more evident in the ways that sensors and intuitives go about doing these things.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't think eidetic memory is strictly a Sensorish area of expertise, and I have no trouble doing all three of the things you've listed.

I think Randomnity is onto something with the fact that the divide is probably more evident in the ways that sensors and intuitives go about doing these things.

This I can easily agree with, both me and my brother have a fairly decent computer aptitude and are about equal. I'm INFP, he's ISFP.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I had this saved, someone find the correct link:

Other personality traits being the same, an iNtuitive person (one who grasps patterns and seeks possibilities) is 27 times more likely to have a high IQ than a Sensing person (one who focuses on sensory details and the here-and-now).

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

1. Ability to troubleshoot, solve problems, and create using concrete elements in the external world.

It does seem easier for them, but really only for SP's. SJ's really seem to need prior experience and standards to go by when dealing with something.

This would probably only apply to SJ's. I think SP's are best at focusing on the moment, and aren't as good at holding onto memories in detail.

This one might apply to both types of S. But they both do this in different ways. The SJ will see information, and apply it in practical terms towards a Feeling/Thinking goal. The SP will see information, and simply use it as a way to deal with what they are experiencing at the moment, possibly to fix something. Both can use it in practical and immediate ways.
What say ye?

These things are proof that Sensors have strengths as well as weaknesses. I always believed this, but just found it frustrating that they can't see things my way, because it makes it so hard to relate to them. I'm sure the feeling was mutual, however. The worst thing about sensors is that I have trouble relating to their perspective, and vice-versa. Other than that, they're basically decent people for the most part.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
My friend Dave, an ISTJ, is a mathematical genius. He never, ever, ever forgets to carry the one.

I'm great at understanding mathematical theory, but give me a problem to do, and I'll get the wrong answer. Look through my working, and you'll find I forgot to carry a one somewhere! :D

Where he's always bearing in mind the details of what's gone before, I'm always too busy jumping ahead, and forget to hold onto what's already happened.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think IQ tests only test your Introverted Thinking abilities -- the ability to make logical conclusions based on the facts presented. Technically, it's Introverted Thinking that grasps abstract patterns.

Neither Intuition nor Sensation are about logical conclusions unless balanced by an Introverted Thinking function. Both functions are instinctual, Intuition relies on hunches, regardless of whether they are right or wrong.

Having said that, I would think IxTPs are the most likely to score high on IQ tests.

Intuition measures vision and imagination, not logical abilities. Intuition's out-of-the-box way of looking at things could also lead it to see an IQ question differently than normal, and so Intuition can also distort Thinking's conventional logic. For example, to the Intuitive, 1+1 doesn't have to equal 2, it could also equal 11 -- as in putting two 1's together. While that may seem literal in its thinking, 1+1=2 is literal in a conventional sense, and conventional logic is how the Sensing Thinker sees things. So if an IQ question asks 1+1=?, I think the Sensor would have the edge.

And since personality is not about ability or intelligence, I would suspect that a retarded person could just as easily type as INTJ or INTP, the so-called "smart" personalities.

Last edited:

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Sensors smarts are no different than intuitors smarts, honestly. I'm pretty certain of this. It's just a matter of confidence. Sensors even when having great insights about N things will be uncofindent about them.

My ISFJ girlfriend sometimes scores higher than me on IQ tests, for example, depending on the context.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Sensors smarts are no different than intuitors smarts, honestly. I'm pretty certain of this. It's just a matter of confidence. Sensors even when having great insights about N things will be uncofindent about them.

My ISFJ girlfriend sometimes scores higher than me on IQ tests, for example, depending on the context.

This is really insightful. I know that my biggest downfall is second-guessing my intuition. When I just go with it, my results are a lot better, whether on an IQ test or any other area.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I had this saved, someone find the correct link:

Can be seen here;

Liberty Corner: IQ and Personality

It's not 100% accurate. For anyone that has access, this is a bit more in depth;

The relationship of the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) to IQ level and the fluid and crystallized IQ discrepancy on the Kaufman Adolescent and Adult Intelligence Test (KAIT).

Also of note is

Demographic and Personality Predictors of Intelligence:A Study Using the Neo Personality Inventory and the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator

As it has the FFM sub traits, which shows exactly where the IQ seperation occurs... and you can compare the two different systems a bit better this way. It also has an interesting discussion on predictive vs correlation findings...

There are a bunch more, including looks at JTI (Jung) and others, but they tend to end up with the same conclusions, with variations being mostly centered around the different test types.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Smart sensors will test as T (many smart ISFj testing as ISTj) or N (many smart ESFps testing as ENFp), thus imbalancing the correlations of a book based on MBTI tests.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
And it's really convenient that he's an INTJ, one of the "smart" people. Boo!!:thumbdown:

That's the thing, though, INTJs like to consider themselves smart (and their J function leads them to be more cocky than INTPs). Whether they are or not is a whole different story. (Yes, I did say that.)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
What are some areas of intelligence ideally suited to Sensing functions? Mechanical intelligence is an obvious one.
Not obvious, merely a legend which has grown from this system. I have read where a number of ISTPs dismiss this stereotype the most.
I was also wondering if having a photographic memory could be an example of Sensory genius?
Not photographic memory in the traditional sense, but I do think in terms of pictures.
There is also a kind of kinesthetic intelligence seen in athletes: that is, having immediacy in interacting with ones body, having an (dare I say it...) intuitive feel for how the body is capable of acting.
Like all words used by Jung, intuition is not used in this system as in everyday terms

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe

What say ye?
Maybe you can find one to troubleshoot this system. It continues to drop parts of my post. Back on point, you do know that you are describing Se in your comments, not Si. I think that Si types are quite similar to Ni types and Ne types will be alot like Se and capable of doing the same things. Also, amassing details does not equate to seeing every detail. Se types will either miss the details or never pay attention to them. Your insights are correct.