• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] Sensor Intelligence

jixmixfix

Permabanned
My largest apprehension of claiming ISTP status is the perceived lack of intelligence in sensors. Kinda like choosing to be black in the 1950’s, it just ain't fair.

MY suggestion would be to not care what about what other people think that is the istp way.

LEGERdeMAIN

My largest apprehension of claiming ISTP status is the perceived lack of intelligence in sensors. Kinda like choosing to be black in the 1950’s, it just ain't fair.

sum ppl will claim ur not intelligtn but dont worry, they r seeing u through a mist, b/c thre head is in clouds and simultaneously in thir own ass. :}

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Just like the N side, the STJs cannibalise the SFs and the STPs (NTJs doing the same to the other side) to become vastly over represented. If you normally distribute the factors, the correlation is about 0.3, I think, which isn't very significant. Course, when you segment the population into a 25/33-75/66 split, you are going to get a wider gap.

So true.

Another issue is that in your career, most people these days, even graduates, have to start in very detailed oriented jobs, where not only organization but an eagle eye for small details are essential.

Therefore while an NTJ may have an advantage for strategic thinking, the STJ will have the advantage in terms of detail which may give them earlier career progression. the NTJ may do better or not, it will depend on whether they get the chance to demonstrate their strategic abilities.

Us P's on the other hand, need to be lucky enough to find a job where we can use an area of specific brilliance, where flexibility rather than routine are demanded. In the average corporation, these jobs are hard to come by, but they are niche areas. IT, technician, marketing, sales and journalism, spring to mind...

LOL who the fuck cares if some pretentious failure on a forum thinks you are intelligent or not?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So true.

Another issue is that in your career, most people these days, even graduates, have to start in very detailed oriented jobs, where not only organization but an eagle eye for small details are essential.

Therefore while an NTJ may have an advantage for strategic thinking, the STJ will have the advantage in terms of detail which may give them earlier career progression. the NTJ may do better or not, it will depend on whether they get the chance to demonstrate their strategic abilities.

Us P's on the other hand, need to be lucky enough to find a job where we can use an area of specific brilliance, where flexibility rather than routine are demanded. In the average corporation, these jobs are hard to come by, but they are niche areas. IT, technician, marketing, sales and journalism, spring to mind...

LOL who the fuck cares if some pretentious failure on a forum thinks you are intelligent or not?
Js come out ahead first and then us ISTPs come flying through because we dont crack under pressure, we know our shit inside and out, and can come up with practical solutions that cut through the crap. We start out the silent type as we learn and analyze, figure out every nook and cranny and then can turn everything upside down and inside out.

I have always found niche jobs by showing what i can do. When i worked at discount tire i was a part time employee with the same jobs as the full-time employees. When I worked at Texas Instruments i created my own position where i came and went as i pleased. Still working on that niche at my current place of work. I had it and then things got changed and i got brought into a new group, missed the training and thrown into a mess. I am now one of the lead developers and fairly close to becoming a senior consultant.

Be proud to be ISTP...ignore the crap people throw at you for being S.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Actually understanding the fabric of the world?

INtuitives are inherently better at theorizing, conceptualizing in terms of symmetry and perfect numbers and shoulds, which is great, but it really doesn't have anything to do with what's going on ever. We shy away from messy reality. Sensors are adept at handling it.

RaptorWizard

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Actually understanding the fabric of the world?

Do you mean the fabric of the world as it really is? Hand that to the sensors.

Do you mean the fabric of worlds that have never been? That is for intuitives.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do you mean the fabric of the world as it really is? Hand that to the sensors.

Do you mean the fabric of worlds that have never been? That is for intuitives.

The first, of course. Important to keep in mind, though, that if our world did not exist, we would have no opportunity to understand the fabric of worlds that have never been.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Wow, it's weird responding to a post about a post you made 5 years ago!

This is generally true. Ultimately any job need to output work, and the junior people get handed the most basic tasks of that work output. It's not always "detailed", but it's not "strategic" either. They aren't the ones farming out the tasks to others; they are the farm!

I would question whether or not S or Ns are better at detail-oriented or focus dependent tasks. Predominantly the J dimension measure both.

Us P's on the other hand, need to be lucky enough

P's do have it rough, if you can say that of any dimension. The rest are a lot more subjective depending on what you want to do.

Not addressed to me, but worth noting; it matters because it is social feedback. It isn't significantly different than racism or sexism; you can't ignore the way you are treated in a social group.

I speak as someone stepping from INTP to ISTP. As an established INTP, I had an advantage, but it was still an interesting experiment.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Not addressed to me, but worth noting; it matters because it is social feedback. It isn't significantly different than racism or sexism; you can't ignore the way you are treated in a social group.

I speak as someone stepping from INTP to ISTP. As an established INTP, I had an advantage, but it was still an interesting experiment.

I was listening to the radio the other day and a guy complained about a groups name. He simply couldnt get past the name actually give the group a fair chance. Thats not racism, or sexism, its called stereotyping.

On a side note, despite the fact that I am an S ALOT of people think I am extremely smart and talented. None of them know a thing about MBTI, nor do they realize what S vs N is. My co-worker is an ENTP, is a sun certified Java teacher, knows all about patterns, and stuff, yet I impress him on a daily basis. The framework he is designing has ALOT of things I incorporated into our application as we progress and learn. He is just standardizing everything into a "best of" framework and reorganizing where things are located. Our first framework he designed based on merging together frameworks and utilizing them according to there specs and how things were set out to be. At this time I was in another group...well I had a project only I worked on and then was a team in another group project. By designing and working with the actual application I got rid of what didnt work and incorporated what did work. At first he was fighting what I did because I wasnt using the "framework" as it was intended to be used. I ditched 90% of the JSF navigation. Basically stripping it down to the most basic pieces because the rest wasnt easy to work with in our application as a developer. Created my own bread crumb mechanism, created my own handling of threads utilizing a combination of Java executors, Spring, and the command pattern. It was interesting because we have 3 layers and I strewn the Command pattern across all 3 layers and other developers kept complaining because I was mixing up things. No I kept business logic in the business layer, they were just wrapped by the command pattern, the web service interaction was in the integration layer and wrapped by command patterns. What did this buy me? The ability to run extremely complicated series-parallel combinations with ease. One command would call 2 other commands in parallel which combined that data while another command called 3 other things in parallel to merge the data and those 2 commands were run in parallel and the data was merged. And its so easy to understand because each command does a unit of work and returns something. So if I need a list of a certain object I grab that command, it doesnt matter whether that command runs things in parallel or series, or even any other setup within it. It returns this piece which I need to merge with this other piece. I also have it all run by an executor factory which has 4 different options that can switch between using AJAX, Polling Mechanism, Fire and forget, or a standard inline executor. None of the commands are aware of which executor I grab and whther the web page will poll for updates, get pushed out automatically using comet style technology or will return with all the data on the initial display.

I on the other hand dropped out of the only java class I have taken. It was a joke and nothing played nicely so I stopped going. I instead learned hands on by using google and reverse engineering open source software. I didnt see patterns, I saw things people used and what it accomplished. I analyzed logs and saw things that were slow and I pieced together code that at the end of the day mimicked the patterns in "programming" books. All of this comes natural to me. Plus I get the hands on experience they dont teach in school. My favorite saying is...yeah, thats how it "should" respond. People will say "patterns" are best of, yet people will overkill with them and use every pattern in the book and end up with the slowest most complicated code ever because if you look at the "design" its awesome...yeah, but how does it actually work. Difference between coding to theory and coding in real life. The most important thing I have learned while coding is to code for "openness" and I dont mean this in the same way that say an INTx does. I code by actually seeing the big picture and always code so things can be upgraded, incorporated, and refactored easily. I wont over use an interface pattern because an interface is easy to pull out, I will pull it out when needed. Same with abstract classes, I will pull it out when needed.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Yeah, it's just an online prejudice, and I think it's pretty easy to ignore.

Regardin P-ness though, people may not know mbti, but J values are generally favored. Luckily I appear to have found an area where P's can excel so for now I am optimistic.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ in fact, sometimes you can beat the Js at the J game :D

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
It's all capabilities, none of which this stuff really measures.

Il Morto Che Parla

MBTI Type
xxTP
Be punctual, fake your smiles, and wear some expensive clean cloths. ;)

I do that already. Aftershave as well. I brush 4 times a day and use mouthwash and my hair is cut every month. Don't think has anything to do with being J though.

I used to work at a place where everyone made a to-do list every morning and had to report back to the team their every move for the rest of the day. Everything had to be followed exactly accoridng to procedure and prescribed timng. Every detail had to be 100% correct and on time. All day, every day. I went MAD.

THAT is the J game IMO! Not just the basic like dressing and being punctual.

Luckily I changed jobs, now I do sales and marketing where P's can excel!

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I do that already. Aftershave as well. I brush 4 times a day and use mouthwash and my hair is cut every month. Don't think has anything to do with being J though.

I used to work at a place where everyone made a to-do list every morning and had to report back to the team their every move for the rest of the day. Everything had to be followed exactly accoridng to procedure and prescribed timng. Every detail had to be 100% correct and on time. All day, every day. I went MAD.

THAT is the J game IMO! Not just the basic like dressing and being punctual.

Luckily I changed jobs, now I do sales and marketing where P's can excel!

LOL, I am so far off from being J its not funny. I dont even say bye half the time, I just leave. I usually have MANY side projects where no one really has a clue "everything" I do as I help people without making it known, dont really take credit for alot of things because I really should have been 100% focused on something else in the first place. Yet when I tell my boss "no worries, I will make sure it is done on time" he knows he can trust me.

The P game is running all over the place as if your head was cut off making the J process look like its stuck in slow motion and enjoying every bit of doing it(running around, not making the J process look slow). And then things slip through the cracks, are forgotten or missed and then all of a sudden the J rules and law comes down. So you slow down for a bit until your back up to the P game all over again.

LOL...thats kinda like my driving. Get a ticket, slow down for a bit(thats after the initial this is friggin stupid, I know what I am doing...lets go 130MPH, fish tail around turns, etc. to show that I can). Then you slowly start going faster and faster, (In my 20s that continued until your average highway speed is around 100), then you see a cop, slam on your breaks and he gets you going 80-85(15-20 over) and you are like...holy crap that was close. And he asks "did you realize you were going 80" and you wanna say, "no my speedo was dropping so fast I didnt know what speed I was going when you clocked me". I seem to get a ticket every 1-2 years like clock work. Just enough time to be able to take defensive driving or adjudication and get if off my record every time. And no I dont get into wrecks much and the ones I was in were not from driving fast and nothing more then minor fender bender...one bent the fender so much it almost got ripped off, but hat wasnt my fault, I had a green light, I was only going 5 over and the guy turned right out in front of me. Almost took out the little girl in the back seat, but I whipped my wheel quick enough to clip there car and bend my fender at a 90 degree angle. was only going 40 that time. I am not stupid and dont go through intersections at retarded speeds.