• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISFP] ISFPs - good editors?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Is it an SP thing, an ISFP thing, what? I am constantly finding little spelling and grammar and typo errors -- in books, magazines, the newspaper, and (especially) online. I really believe I find EVERY ERROR. It's not intentional, either.

Also, I can look at the spelling of a word once and remember it forever, even if it is in my second language (French).

Is this hyper-sensitivity to word/language structure nuance an ISFP thing? An SP thing? Or just an S thing? OR NOT?!

I have notice that you're like that, actually. I'm exactly the same way. I very much appreciate your careful, nuanced sense of sentence construction.

Actually, I believe the stereotype is that SPs aren't smart enough to understand grammar and spelling. I have to confess that your ability in this area has actually made me suspect momentarily that you weren't an SP.

I'm very conscious of using proper grammar and spelling as a way of gauging intelligence. Considering that Se is my inferior function, I would be quite surprised if this turned out to be an SP thing. :shock:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
If you're defining types by how well they can (or can't) spell then you're not really using type properly.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Moved from SP Blogs

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
Usually IxTJs are the grammar Nazis.

So I've heard. I can relate to them, though. I hate it when people make spelling/grammar mistakes that are noticable to me, but I know I make some of my own. I also find it annoying when "educated" people pronounce obvious words incorrectly. For example, my science teacher says "escape" as "ecscape" and "frustrated" as "fustrated." Really I'm both annoyed and amused at the same time because she sounds like a toddler when she pronounces these words. :D

maliafee

So I've heard. I can relate to them, though. I hate it when people make spelling/grammar mistakes that are noticable to me, but I know I make some of my own. I also find it annoying when "educated" people pronounce obvious words incorrectly. For example, my science teacher says "escape" as "ecscape" and "frustrated" as "fustrated." Really I'm both annoyed and amused at the same time because she sounds like a toddler when she pronounces these words. :D

How about "expresso"??! *shudder*

Truth be told, the word "bird" used to be "brid" until anglophones analyzed it incorrectly and did so often enough for the new pronunciation to stick. Kinda funny. Tons of words like that...

/DG/

How about "expresso"??! *shudder*

Truth be told, the word "bird" used to be "brid" until anglophones analyzed it incorrectly and did so often enough for the new pronunciation to stick. Kinda funny. Tons of words like that...

Hehe. Imagine how annoyed the people who said "brid" must've been with the people who said it "bird."

maliafee

So... are they birdbrains or bridbrains?
Bridbrain is kind of hard to pronounce!:doh:

Haha... funny!

I was also just thinking about the great vowel shift and all the people coming to live in London from around England during that time... and how different words with the same spellings got normalized, even though their pronunciations differ wildly.

Originally, all the below words had the same "ough" pronunciation (which differed from dialect to dialect across the board). Our modern pronunciations have been regularized but imagine how frustrating it was for the people who said "ough" as "uff" (for example) when they heard all the other varieties, and then as those got to be more and more permanent...!

THOUGH = Thoe
BOUGH = Bow
THROUGH = Throo
ENOUGH = Enuff
COUGH = Coff

/DG/

I love language. Not the writing part of it, but I like... is it called linguistics? I don't know.

SaltyWench

MBTI Type
xxxx
I'm really weird about spelling. I proofread EVERYTHING!!! Who knew this was an SP thing.

/DG/

Well, I would really think of it as more of an SJ thing, but perhaps it's just our Se at work.

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
Also, I can look at the spelling of a word once and remember it forever, even if it is in my second language (French).

That happens with most English words that I encounter(English is my 2nd language).

Is this hyper-sensitivity to word/language structure nuance an ISFP thing? An SP thing? Or just an S thing? OR NOT?!

It can be most likely an S thing. Don't S go into details? With that, they can remember things like spelling..especially for the dominant Sensors..an example is my youngest brother, who can babble on and on(w/o stopping) the details of how his online war game went on.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Well developed Se and Si together would be of good use to an editor.

riel

MBTI Type
ISFP
I love language. Not the writing part of it, but I like... is it called linguistics? I don't know.

Literature, perhaps? I like nonfiction better than fiction, though. I identify more with it. But I've read and liked some fiction books too and they contain mostly my fantasies :yes:

Amira

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I do have one friend who is an ISFP and she works with me. Our type of job is VERY much about proofreading - she is quite good at the job and has become a trainer now after doing this job for several years.

/DG/

Literature, perhaps? I like nonfiction better than fiction, though. I identify more with it. But I've read and liked some fiction books too and they contain mostly my fantasies :yes:

Eh, no. Books are okay, but I more like to look at language itself.