User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Default Sensors, how do you react to stereotypes?

There have been countless discussions about Sensors and why iNtuitives don't like certain aspects of their behavior and such. It was suggested that what an N considers to be a negative quality, an S would naturally embrace. This implies that these comments and discussions would not be offensive to a Sensor, at least not in the way they would be offensive to an iNtuitive.

So as a Sensor, what is your reaction to comments about Sensing that iNtuitives consider negative qualities? What stereotypes have you encountered? What is your reaction to these stereotypes?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ISFx

For example, what's wrong with the fact that we don't like to theoretize everything? What's wrong with preferring doing things than talking about stuff?
    Probably Ss are not as profound as Ns, but what's wrong with measuring things with efficiency and making reality checks (making you face facts)?
    And what's wrong with taking things at face value? Are you sure your intuition never misleads you?

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    There have been countless discussions about Sensors and why iNtuitives don't like certain aspects of their behavior and such. It was suggested that what an N considers to be a negative quality, an S would naturally embrace. This implies that these comments and discussions would not be offensive to a Sensor, at least not in the way they would be offensive to an iNtuitive.

So as a Sensor, what is your reaction to comments about Sensing that iNtuitives consider negative qualities? What stereotypes have you encountered? What is your reaction to these stereotypes?
    The only thing that bothers me is when people think S is for stupid, both because it's personally offensive and because it's grossly inaccurate. Unfortunately it's probably the most common of any of the stereotypes.

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ISFx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    The only thing that bothers me is when people think S is for stupid, both because it's personally offensive and because it's grossly inaccurate. Unfortunately it's probably the most common of any of the stereotypes.
    Unfortunately one of the books by the Tiegers enhances this stereotype: they say Sensors are less likely to have graduate degrees.
    You can easily deduce from this that Ss are intellectually challenged.

Word.

Your functions do not determine your intelligence. An INTx's preferences are going to lead most of them to more nerdy genius interests that does not mean that an ESFP "party animal" is an incurious moron. The S/N function is just how you take in information.

I understand that Ns take flak from some clueless Ss for being spacey the way Is take shit from Es for being quiet. It would be best if everyone knew their type and that everyone has natural inclinations driven by their functions.

You're not your Sensing, You're not your Intuiting, Ns are not beautiful and unique snowflakes, we are all part of the same decomposing compost heap.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Some days I think N stands for "nutty."
    (but that's being too kind to us, probably...)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't know much about sensors, but I've found that the only ones I have really have that much trouble getting along with are ES_P's. The rest of them are actually pretty easy to get along with. They actually seem interested enough in theory, as long as you can give them a practical application for it, and/or explain it succinctly.

Although it's not true that we Intuitive's never make reality checks or think about efficiency. It's just that we let our thoughts wander quite a bit farther into the realm of uncertainty and imagination than we really should. It can make us dangerously ill-equipped to deal with practicalities. We just prefer to blame our weaknesses on the people who we feel cause us to have to deal with reality. Sad but true.

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post

You're not your Sensing, You're not your Intuiting, Ns are not beautiful and unique snowflakes, we are all part of the same decomposing compost heap.
    I think I just got a new sig.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    I think I just got a new sig.

Yay fight club references!

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

But...... I am a beautiful and unique snowflake!
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**