• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Sensors, how do you react to stereotypes?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would've assumed that N's also dismiss the idea of education because they rely on their hunches to form their own thoughts.

Personally, I am becoming more and more against the idea of higher education, too. To be blunt, I would say that it's for people too lazy to think for themselves, much like watching the news. I personally study on my own -- I don't need a professor to control my thoughts. I just find them as a necessary evil to get ahead in the world.

To put it in lighter terms, though, I think academia is for people who are weary of their own conceptions, and so they turn to an authority figure (in academia's case, a professor). I dunno, but the kind of environment seen in academia seems very SJ to me.

I don't think academia is any more reliable than Wikipedia. You hear what is said to be the facts, but you really have no way of knowing if it's true.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I would've assumed that N's also dismiss the idea of education because they rely on their hunches to form their own thoughts.

Yes, but not just that - I rely on hunches to inform my choice as to where to look next, what to study, read or think about next; to daisy-chain my way organically through a continuous, decades-long train of thought, following wherever my intuition inspires me.

College, on the other hand, is about being told what to read, when to read it, how to read it, what to make of it, what to read next, what and when to write about it - and being told to carry on reading once you've lost interest and want to read something else, or know a more promising and inspiring route or tangent to take. Or being told what aspects of a subject you ought to know, or are most important, and forced to study those to death, though you may disagree and perceive another aspect that's just as crucial, yet neglected, which you'd like to highlight.

HanoverFist

MBTI Type
istp
If we are talking about car stereotypes I always like jvc or kenwood.
I don't like those cheap roadmaster or sound design car stereos
For home stereotypes pioneer or sony are just fine.

spirilis

Senior Membrane
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Huge fan of Alpine here... got one with the ipod interface cable, it is godlike :D

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
So as a Sensor, what is your reaction to comments about Sensing that iNtuitives consider negative qualities? What stereotypes have you encountered? What is your reaction to these stereotypes?
As always, my first question to inquiries such as this is, are you referring to Se types or Si types? Most of what is referred to on this and other forums, pertains to Si, not Se types. I think that one problem that I have with the forums (mostly Ne types) is the generalizations made and the erroneous stereotyping. Contrary to belief Ne types are not willing to go the extra mile in studying as to whether information read is true.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
As always, my first question to inquiries such as this is, are you referring to Se types or Si types? Most of what is referred to on this and other forums, pertains to Si, not Se types. I think that one problem that I have with the forums (mostly Ne types) is the generalizations made and the erroneous stereotyping. Contrary to belief Ne types are not willing to go the extra mile in studying as to whether information read is true.

Yes... I remember you saying this, roughly to me earlier. I should of listened more back then, it would seem :D That stereotype seems to be the inverse of what actually is.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

I like how you use the question as an example in your answer. I suppose it does carry a precieved stereotype in itself. Then again, I'd use such a question to see the differences between Si and Se as well.

sassafrassquatch

"?" has to be my favorite poster on the board. I love it when he shuts down an intuitive circle jerk with his knowledge of MBTI.

I'm beginning to wonder if the N stands for Narcissism rather than iNtuiting.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
"?" has to be my favorite poster on the board. I love it when he shuts down an intuitive circle jerk with his knowledge of MBTI.

That happens often enough, that's why we need more of you guys.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Contrary to belief Ne types are not willing to go the extra mile in studying as to whether information read is true.

Shhhhhh!!! Don't give away all of our secrets now. ;)
If there is one thing that college has taught me it's that being factually correct is not as important as being able to argue your point clearly. :nerd:

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

*gazing at self in mirror while smiling*

What, did you say something, sassafrassquatch?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I think it was Voltaire who disdained the "modern" obsession with teaching everything by lectures. He mocked the educational system by saying that he didn't understand why everything had to be taught from books and in organised classes, and called for more acknowledgement of independent study and learning, and practical, hands-on methods of learning. ...
I SO agree with you!

My ISTP son is highly intelligent but he learns by touching things!
Lectures and reading are exceedingly dead things to him.
Montessori schools were invented for kids like him.

When I taught him his letters, we would draw them in an inch of sand in the bottom of a shoe box.

A true ISTP jokester! :D

...forced to study those to death, though you may disagree and perceive another aspect that's just as crucial, yet neglected, which you'd like to highlight.
This is why I can't make myself take on higher education.:blush:

In response to your complaint, I have found a couple of definitions to work with from CognitiveProcesses.com:

Si:
"Introverted Sensing often involves storing data and information, then comparing and contrasting the current situation with similar ones. The immediate experience or words are instantly linked with the prior experiences, and we register a similarity or a difference

Last edited by a moderator:

Zayin-x

MBTI Type
????

Personally, I am becoming more and more against the idea of higher education, too. To be blunt, I would say that it's for people too lazy to think for themselves, much like watching the news. I personally study on my own -- I don't need a professor to control my thoughts. I just find them as a necessary evil to get ahead in the world.

To put it in lighter terms, though, I think academia is for people who are weary of their own conceptions, and so they turn to an authority figure (in academia's case, a professor). I dunno, but the kind of environment seen in academia seems very SJ to me.

I don't think academia is any more reliable than Wikipedia. You hear what is said to be the facts, but you really have no way of knowing if it's true.

Interesting that you say that, but not surprising at all. It makes me wonder if all that college is doing is just filling up our heads with mush, and that "education" may only have an appearance of "intelligence" when there really isn't any substance to it. Could it be that much of what we were taught in college is really useless or wrong, or even worse, almost all of it?

Yes, but not just that - I rely on hunches to inform my choice as to where to look next, what to study, read or think about next; to daisy-chain my way organically through a continuous, decades-long train of thought, following wherever my intuition inspires me.

College, on the other hand, is about being told what to read, when to read it, how to read it, what to make of it, what to read next, what and when to write about it - and being told to carry on reading once you've lost interest and want to read something else, or know a more promising and inspiring route or tangent to take. Or being told what aspects of a subject you ought to know, or are most important, and forced to study those to death, though you may disagree and perceive another aspect that's just as crucial, yet neglected, which you'd like to highlight.

I highly value independent learning. When I'm learning something interesting to me on my own terms, it's one of the funnest things to do. Course, to me, REAL learning, to me anyways, is not for the sake of some goal in the future. Rather, it's for it's own sake, for the fun of it, and for curiosity's sake.

niffer

MBTI Type
ENfP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hanging around Ns for too long irritates me.

Not every fucking word that comes out of my mouth or every fucking movement I make is going to be deep and meaningful. And yeah, it IS creepy when you over-analyze what I do.

And if your ideas are not only totally IRRELEVANT from what is actually going on, but are also FILLED WITH HOLES due to the fact that you never check your facts and COMPLETELY IGNORE what proof there is SITTING IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE, then no, I DON'T give a shit about them.

And for God's sake, just because you're not good at something, or you disapprove of it, or because everyone else understands the point of it and you don't, DOESN'T mean that it's superficial.

The more someone complains about superficial things to me, the more I think they have nothing to offer to the world but SHIT.

FROZEN SHIT from their own ASS that they mistake for a beautiful unique snowflake.

Also, S humor is usually ten thousand times funnier than N humor.

*edit: Realization - A point that I think everyone wants to make is that,
Just because I don't give a shit about your shit, doesn't mean I am shit. Like you.

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
That was beautiful Niffer, brought tears to my eyes. :hug:

ETA: Reading some of the threads popping up around here makes me momentarily sad. Do you feel like you belong? Anyone else feel weird their whole life? Misunderstood XXXX. Frankly, I'm quite happy I'm a borderline S/N if it means I've avoided all these problems and honestly I don't think intuitiveness is the cause of a majority of feelings. MBTI isn't the answer to every psychological problem.

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
INTJmom said:
A true ISTP jokester!
Yes, Hanover thinks he is pretty darn funny usually :). He does tell good jokes sometimes....however when he is home they are usually directed at me! He makes plenty of jokes about MBTI. I suppose it is retaliation for having to hear about it all the time even though he doesn't actually care:smile:!

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Interesting that you say that, but not surprising at all. It makes me wonder if all that college is doing is just filling up our heads with mush, and that "education" may only have an appearance of "intelligence" when there really isn't any substance to it. Could it be that much of what we were taught in college is really useless or wrong, or even worse, almost all of it?

Yes. I pretty much disregard everything in school that I don't think will potentially help me in the future. Let's just say that most of my college education has already been forgotten (and I'm still in college). But, then again, we don't go to college for an education. We go to college for a piece of paper.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FROZEN SHIT from their own ASS that they mistake for a beautiful unique snowflake.

Ha -- N's think they shit snowflakes, where really it's all posterior psoriasis.

... MBTI isn't the answer to every psychological problem.

... and it's probably caused a few just on its lonesome.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
So as a Sensor, what is your reaction to comments about Sensing that iNtuitives consider negative qualities? What stereotypes have you encountered? What is your reaction to these stereotypes?
Honestly, it seems pointless to get too upset about stereotypes since they are limited to only those who prescribe to MBTI on forums, don't effect me in the real world and based on many poor assumptions written on the forums, are being stated by those with limited understanding of the basic principles of type. I would think that stereotypes would be more important to introverted intuitive types since extraverted types and introverted sensing types are going to consider the opinions of little worth, in particularly if they have an understanding of how type is applied.