• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Intuitards: Do all Sensors suck?

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Everyone is sheep. :yes:

If there were no sheep, we'd have no lamb for Christmas. :(

Sensors follow their shepherds while iNtuitives are those floaty, imaginary sheep you try to count when you fall asleep. Which ones are better? It's a tough call.

ha, very nice!

I think my sheep are lazy good-for-nothings. I'd like to fall asleep most nights, but they are too fat to bother to jump the fence. :dry:

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I think my sheep are lazy good-for-nothings. I'd like to fall asleep most nights, but they are too fat to bother to jump the fence. :dry:

You should send em off to get more data! :D Put those lazy sheep to work!

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Bah. People are people. The type doesn't define the person; the person resembles aspects of the type. S's aren't inherently dumb (though to believe so, is), nor are intuitives necessarily brilliant. We usually assume that people with beliefs in accordance with our own, or who exhibit traits we admire, are more intelligent than the majority, but that mindset is at least a bit elitist and ego-stroking.
The boldface is one of the key reasons why everyone flocks to being labeled as N. There is no reason to assume Sensors are not intelligent. Of course defining and understanding intelligence is worth an entire discussion of its own. When Sensing is reduced to: unintelligent, cannot grasp humor, no imagination, blindly doing as told, tyrants, martyrs, etc. etc. Well of course no one is going to think they are a Sensor. The result is this convulated confusion about what iNtuition is as well. That kind of thing is frustrating because it makes the entire MBTI system a waste of time in terms of gaining understanding.

MBTI types and functions are not accurately defined by placing our friends/enemies into nice little boxes that define ourselves in relationship to them. That style thinking is the most unquestioning sheep-like approach to life I can think of.

For instance I can't stand reading all the "Sure, coming from an S..." shit Shrimpei gets for being an SJ, when she is one of the more reasonable members on the forum. If you read a brilliant post, then look over and see the poster's type is ESFJ, would you dismiss what you just read and agreed with?

This sort of thinking is what gives MBTI and any kind of typology a bad name.

Okay, okay. /rant
Exactly. And that sort of thinking is intellectually impoverished, subjective, cheap, fast, and deep fried in lard.

Lookin4theBestNU

MBTI Type
ENFj
Enneagram
2w3
This subject has been talked to death. Anyway I just wanted to add that the title of this thread has brought me great amusement :) thanks!!

heart

heart on fire
When Sensing is reduced to: unintelligent, cannot grasp humor, no imagination, blindly doing as told, tyrants, martyrs, etc. etc. Well of course no one is going to think they are a Sensor. The result is this convulated confusion about what iNtuition is as well.

I keep seeing this said here but I wonder why being dreamy headed, get very little practical things done, so abstract other have trouble understanding you is the more attractive option.

The people I know who tested S type, were proud to be seen as practical, loyal and productive and found the N type descriptions to be "neurotic."

I think it is only a person coming from an N point of view that really sees the S type descriptions as being anything negative or off putting for a true S type.

I also thought it was that S types were said to be unable to grasp sarcasm and metaphor rather than all types of humor. In my opinion, most popular movies are full of S type humor.

Wolf

only bites when provoked
MBTI Type
INTJ
I also thought it was that S types were said to be unable to grasp sarcasm and metaphor rather than all types of humor. In my opinion, most popular movies are full of S type humor.
I wonder if that's why so many of us appreciate similar entertainment...

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I keep seeing this said here but I wonder why being dreamy headed, get very little practical things done, so abstract other have trouble understanding you is the more attractive option.

The people I know who tested S type, were proud to be seen as practical, loyal and productive and found the N type descriptions to be "neurotic."
And if that were the nature of the discussion, my comments would be based on the necessity of iNtuition and attempting to help people gain a more accurate picture of it - or at least remain open minded to it.

I think it is only a person coming from an N point of view that really sees the S type descriptions as being anything negative or off putting for a true S type.
That may be true, but can you see the advantage to having an objective, balanced perspective? How can a person truly understand one function without understanding its polar opposite? I don't think it is possible.

Most religion is based on metaphor. Myth is so deeply woven into the fabric of humanity, as to be a fundamentally defining feature.

And sarcasm is largely cultural. There are entire cultures that do not grasp it.

You are right about many movies using a very direct brand of humor, and many are based on a supposed realism.

I guess I was just thinking about so many movies from Star Wars, to Lord of the Rings, or even Harry Potter (which is more fluffy, but still) that are highly imaginative and also cultural icons. It does make sense that a S or N would relate a bit differently, but everyone seems to enjoy the imagination and myth. Also, at least Star Wars does not delve into a truly deep philosophy as it does have a surface appeal. There is more meat to LoTR, however.

Then there are successful movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Tideworld, etc. etc. That are deeply entrenched in imagination and the complex realities of the inner world.

heart

heart on fire
And if that were the nature of the discussion, my comments would be based on the necessity of iNtuition and attempting to help people gain a more accurate picture of it - or at least remain open minded to it.

I feel like now we are talking about different things. You said previously that S types would take affront to the S type description and I disagree. Instead I have seen them immediately zero in on the more positive aspects of the S type description and feel more proud of being seen as more practical, productive and loyal, and get things done.

I disagree that the description of an S type, even when painted negatively by someone else would put them off of it, instead I think they would be able to discern the negative aspects of the N type and have a viseral reaction to embrace the S.

That may be true, but can you see the advantage to having an objective, balanced perspective?

Yes, I can, but your statement was not whether could I appreciate it but rather would the S types find their own descriptions offensive and prefer instead the N type description.

Most religion is based on metaphor. Myth is so deeply woven into the fabric of humanity, as to be a fundamentally defining feature.

Yes and it would hit an S type more in their lesser functions and be more affecting them more subconsciously than consciously I would venture a guess and it may very well be more powerful on them in that way. I think Intuitives may think/feel it out, examine it fully and S types may simply let it work upon them and experience it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I feel like now we are talking about different things. You said previously that S types would take affront to the S type description and I disagree. Instead I have seen them immediately zero in on the more positive aspects of the S type description and feel more proud of being seen as more practical, productive and loyal, and get things done.

I disagree that the description of an S type, even when painted negatively by someone else would put them off of it, instead I think they would be able to discern the negative aspects of the N type and have a viseral reaction to embrace the S.

The S type description that is part of the collective MBTIC consciousness is different from canonical S type descriptions. I don't think you can argue that it has a negative flavor to it. Due to this place's history, there are plenty of people here who don't acknowledge that practical, productive, and loyal are significantly positive traits or that they are the realm of the S. It's just natural when (the general) you are in a community that values certain traits and downplays others, that you'd want to emphasize your positives and downplay your negatives, as perceived by that community.

heart

heart on fire
The S type description that is part of the collective MBTIC consciousness is different from canonical S type descriptions. I don't think you can argue that it has a negative flavor to it. Due to this place's history, there are plenty of people here who don't acknowledge that practical, productive, and loyal are significantly positive traits or that they are the realm of the S. It's just natural when (the general) you are in a community that values certain traits and downplays others, that you'd want to emphasize your positives and downplay your negatives, as perceived by that community.

I did not mean to imply there was anything wrong with them being proud of it. I was only meaning to say I would not think the more negative descriptions, no matter who they come from, would make them decide they didn't want to self label as an S type.

Over at INTPc they are fairly negative about Feelers and really if anything interacting with them made me more sure about being a Feeler and I could laugh at their negative descriptions of the F type because I could see both the truth of it in myself and also the hyperbolic propaganda in their comments.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
I understand where the martyr/tyrant concept for [male] ISTJs came from, at least in regards to the ones I have had as friends and/or acquaintances.

For many, there was an odd mix of passivity and not wanting to break the peace, coupled with very strong opinions about the way life and/or the world should be. (Often the topics of politics or religion will bring this conflict to the surface.) So they feel like the world is changing around them and things are going to hell in handbasket (either in their home, or in their workplace, or in society, or in their religious culture, etc... some sort of "institution" of which they have a clear internalized Si definition).

But when it comes to personal issues and strong emotions, they usually try to rein them in and not express them, because of the "illogic" -- and stuff them, become martyrish sometimes and usually just grumbling about their fate. When they finally cannot deal anymore, they can become very demanding and tyrant-like, clamping down on everyone else. And then they're prone to stuffing it again, if the demands do not change anything, going back to the martyr extreme and grumbling.

Other types do undergo similar stresses, but tend to react differently or not as extreme of a flip.

For an ISTJ tyrant with some martyr features, you could look at Ricky's father in "American Beauty," who actually would be considered actively abusive. But most ISTJ males are not dysfunctional like that, they just have the same level of issues as any other type.

Basically, the response depends heavily on the ISTJ's ability to deal with change in the external world, compared to his internal idealized world.

I cannot describe female ISTJs too well because I have only really known one in real life, and known OF another... and I think the female brain and socialization helps them to better mediate between the internal and external worlds and communicate better. The men tend to think more just in terms of power ("Do I assert myself, or do I just sit passively and hold my tongue?"), whereas the women are more willing to not internalize the entire thing.

PM's post was good, but this factor must also be taken into consideration.

I agree with much of what you said here...and I do see what you described in the males to also be partly true in female ISTJ's. From a female ISTJ's perspective I can honestly say that yes, I too have very strong internalized opinions about the idealized world/the way things should be. However, I often care more about keeping peace and harmony with others than I do about being right. I hate being in conflict with others...espeically with people I don't know well. It is likely I will get into a strong/passionate debate with someone only if I know them well and trust them (where I feel safe to say exactly what is on my mind)...otherwise I will keep my mouth shut and my dialogue will only continue in my head (mostly mentally "rolling my eyes" at them).

But yes, how you react as an ISTJ does have a lot to do with your ability to deal with the external world. It's easy to explode when you're really rigid and what you think is right does not nearly match reality, but I feel that I am at least faily well-rounded just because of the experiences I have had. Over the past few years I have forced myself to be put in situations with a variety of different people in some rather uncomfortable and unfamiliar situations. I studied abroad in 3 different countries with 3 different groups of all new people, and lived with host families in all 3 places (practically an ISTJ's worst nightmare) ISTJ's probably prefer to stay in their comfort zone most of the time, but I've noticed that when I got out of it it created the most difficult/annoying/wonderful/insightful experiences I have ever had. Yes, I sometimes had really tough times dealing with people...especially crazy host families that would say the most ridiculous things. For example, one of my host families once asked me what the capital of Latvia was...and when I told them I didn't know they basically told me that it was because I lived in "the American bubble" and that I didn't care about anything outside of my own country because Americans think they are the best at everything (which is not true at all). But I just kinda shrugged my shoulders at them partly because I didn't want to anger them...I still had 3 months left in their house, partly because of the language barrier, and partly because it wasn't worth my energy to argue out. If I wanted to convince them otherwise I would win it through life example, not through anything I said to them. I just simply found a friend within the program to vent to and we had a great discussion about crazy things our families have said to us. So I guess all that to say that I care more about harmony with others than being right. I love a good debate, but it rarely gets personal. I have argued with my best friends (ENFP and INTJ) about religion, homosexuality, politics, etc but I still love and value my friends way too much to throw away our friendship on a disagreement...plus, I am extremely loyal. If you are my friend, I picked you for a reason and there was a lot of criteria you had to meet to get there. :D

sassafrassquatch

You guys can go ahead and let this thread die now, I forgot that the subject had been talked to death.

I need to not post when I'm tired.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm in favor of letting it stay up because I love the term "intuitards." :)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It reminds me of what my older brother calls gifted kids with limited social skills: giftards. (For the record, and so nobody hates me for thinking that's funny, I was a giftard myself.)

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
in "the American bubble" and that I didn't care about anything outside of my own country

Man, that reminds me of when I was staying with a host family in Quebec... and over there, they make lunches like I make dinner... at a buffet. It's gigantic.

Anyway, They made me way too much to eat... egg sandwiches... so I threw the remainder of if out (namely because it was 3 whole sandwiches that were about 2 inches thick each, along with the rest of the meal.) I got such a lecture on throwing food out... apparently it was because I was "English" that I didn't know how rude it was to throw food out that they had prepared.

I always found it amusing that the simplest answers are rejected for the biased ones. You know, like answers like "I don't eat 3000 calories a day" or "I hate eggs". Both of which are true.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I'm in favor of letting it stay up because I love the term "intuitards." :)
I second that. I love the mental picture of a dancing storm-trooper yelling out the thread title in surfer dude speak. :rock:

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I did not mean to imply there was anything wrong with them being proud of it. I was only meaning to say I would not think the more negative descriptions, no matter who they come from, would make them decide they didn't want to self label as an S type.
Who wants to be unintelligent? Do you think Sensors generally like the idea of supposedly being dumber than iNtuitives? Do you think they like the idea of not being able to understand [certain types of] humor? I really doubt that. It's also not necessarily a conscious decision. If someone is genuinely trying to figure out their type and encounter the above comments, knowing they are intelligent, it gives them reason to think it's not a good fit for them.

Over at INTPc they are fairly negative about Feelers and really if anything interacting with them made me more sure about being a Feeler and I could laugh at their negative descriptions of the F type because I could see both the truth of it in myself and also the hyperbolic propaganda in their comments.
Kinda know 'bout that. You can spend an entire year there without expressing any emotion, but if you have the wrong letters by your name, look out. I found those attitudes to cause debate to be like walking through thick mud. That kind of subjectivity and prejudice twists such arguments beyond reason. When such thinking is challenged, it is sometimes merely dismissed rather than examined. It's just not worth trying to untangle a surreal web that once was, or had hoped to be, logic. Where do you go from there? Just leave people to their prejudices. It is disappointing. I have always hoped for more from people who expound objectivity and reason. It is likely that such are capable of more, but fall onto lazy ideas and tactics. (i speak of a small, but vocal, minority)

I think having spent close to two years on that other side of the coin is precisely what makes me more aware of how a Sensor could potentially experience the prejudice simmering here. I would think a Sensor could be disappointed that those who supposedly have the ability to think globally, objectively and/or with empathy fall so short and act with ignorance and prejudice. These sites have left me with more realization of being misunderstood. I stay because of those people i value. The prejudices must be endured. Those cliques about Feelers leave me more misunderstood than in most any other scenario I have encountered, and trust me... that says ALOT.

Last edited: