MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Everyone is sheep.
    If there were no sheep, we'd have no lamb for Christmas.

Sensors follow their shepherds while iNtuitives are those floaty, imaginary sheep you try to count when you fall asleep. Which ones are better? It's a tough call.
    ha, very nice!

I think my sheep are lazy good-for-nothings. I'd like to fall asleep most nights, but they are too fat to bother to jump the fence.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think my sheep are lazy good-for-nothings. I'd like to fall asleep most nights, but they are too fat to bother to jump the fence.
    You should send em off to get more data! Put those lazy sheep to work!

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by luridlemur View Post
    Bah. People are people. The type doesn't define the person; the person resembles aspects of the type. S's aren't inherently dumb (though to believe so, is), nor are intuitives necessarily brilliant. We usually assume that people with beliefs in accordance with our own, or who exhibit traits we admire, are more intelligent than the majority, but that mindset is at least a bit elitist and ego-stroking.
    The boldface is one of the key reasons why everyone flocks to being labeled as N. There is no reason to assume Sensors are not intelligent. Of course defining and understanding intelligence is worth an entire discussion of its own. When Sensing is reduced to: unintelligent, cannot grasp humor, no imagination, blindly doing as told, tyrants, martyrs, etc. etc. Well of course no one is going to think they are a Sensor. The result is this convulated confusion about what iNtuition is as well. That kind of thing is frustrating because it makes the entire MBTI system a waste of time in terms of gaining understanding.

MBTI types and functions are not accurately defined by placing our friends/enemies into nice little boxes that define ourselves in relationship to them. That style thinking is the most unquestioning sheep-like approach to life I can think of.

Quote Originally Posted by luridlemur View Post
    For instance I can't stand reading all the "Sure, coming from an S..." shit Shrimpei gets for being an SJ, when she is one of the more reasonable members on the forum. If you read a brilliant post, then look over and see the poster's type is ESFJ, would you dismiss what you just read and agreed with?

This sort of thinking is what gives MBTI and any kind of typology a bad name.

Okay, okay. /rant
    Exactly. And that sort of thinking is intellectually impoverished, subjective, cheap, fast, and deep fried in lard.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENFj
    Enneagram
    2w3

This subject has been talked to death. Anyway I just wanted to add that the title of this thread has brought me great amusement thanks!!
    "At points of clarity, I realize that my life on earth is meaningless, and that I am merely a pawn in a bigger game. A game I cannot possibly understand or have control of. Thankfully, before depression sets in, I drift back into my cloudy, bewildered daily routine." **Joel Patrick Warneke**

heart on fire

When Sensing is reduced to: unintelligent, cannot grasp humor, no imagination, blindly doing as told, tyrants, martyrs, etc. etc. Well of course no one is going to think they are a Sensor. The result is this convulated confusion about what iNtuition is as well.
    I keep seeing this said here but I wonder why being dreamy headed, get very little practical things done, so abstract other have trouble understanding you is the more attractive option.

The people I know who tested S type, were proud to be seen as practical, loyal and productive and found the N type descriptions to be "neurotic."

I think it is only a person coming from an N point of view that really sees the S type descriptions as being anything negative or off putting for a true S type.

I also thought it was that S types were said to be unable to grasp sarcasm and metaphor rather than all types of humor. In my opinion, most popular movies are full of S type humor.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I also thought it was that S types were said to be unable to grasp sarcasm and metaphor rather than all types of humor. In my opinion, most popular movies are full of S type humor.
    I wonder if that's why so many of us appreciate similar entertainment...
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I keep seeing this said here but I wonder why being dreamy headed, get very little practical things done, so abstract other have trouble understanding you is the more attractive option.

The people I know who tested S type, were proud to be seen as practical, loyal and productive and found the N type descriptions to be "neurotic."
    And if that were the nature of the discussion, my comments would be based on the necessity of iNtuition and attempting to help people gain a more accurate picture of it - or at least remain open minded to it.

I think it is only a person coming from an N point of view that really sees the S type descriptions as being anything negative or off putting for a true S type.
    That may be true, but can you see the advantage to having an objective, balanced perspective? How can a person truly understand one function without understanding its polar opposite? I don't think it is possible.

Most religion is based on metaphor. Myth is so deeply woven into the fabric of humanity, as to be a fundamentally defining feature.

And sarcasm is largely cultural. There are entire cultures that do not grasp it.

You are right about many movies using a very direct brand of humor, and many are based on a supposed realism.

I guess I was just thinking about so many movies from Star Wars, to Lord of the Rings, or even Harry Potter (which is more fluffy, but still) that are highly imaginative and also cultural icons. It does make sense that a S or N would relate a bit differently, but everyone seems to enjoy the imagination and myth. Also, at least Star Wars does not delve into a truly deep philosophy as it does have a surface appeal. There is more meat to LoTR, however.

Then there are successful movies like Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Tideworld, etc. etc. That are deeply entrenched in imagination and the complex realities of the inner world.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

heart on fire

And if that were the nature of the discussion, my comments would be based on the necessity of iNtuition and attempting to help people gain a more accurate picture of it - or at least remain open minded to it.
    I feel like now we are talking about different things. You said previously that S types would take affront to the S type description and I disagree. Instead I have seen them immediately zero in on the more positive aspects of the S type description and feel more proud of being seen as more practical, productive and loyal, and get things done.

I disagree that the description of an S type, even when painted negatively by someone else would put them off of it, instead I think they would be able to discern the negative aspects of the N type and have a viseral reaction to embrace the S.

That may be true, but can you see the advantage to having an objective, balanced perspective?
    Yes, I can, but your statement was not whether could I appreciate it but rather would the S types find their own descriptions offensive and prefer instead the N type description.

Most religion is based on metaphor. Myth is so deeply woven into the fabric of humanity, as to be a fundamentally defining feature.
    Yes and it would hit an S type more in their lesser functions and be more affecting them more subconsciously than consciously I would venture a guess and it may very well be more powerful on them in that way. I think Intuitives may think/feel it out, examine it fully and S types may simply let it work upon them and experience it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sp

And sarcasm is largely cultural. There are entire cultures that do not grasp it.
    Boy-howdy.
    Dost thou love Life? Then do not squander Time; for that's the Stuff Life is made of.

-- Benjamin Franklin, Poor Richard's Almanack, June 1746 --

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I feel like now we are talking about different things. You said previously that S types would take affront to the S type description and I disagree. Instead I have seen them immediately zero in on the more positive aspects of the S type description and feel more proud of being seen as more practical, productive and loyal, and get things done.

I disagree that the description of an S type, even when painted negatively by someone else would put them off of it, instead I think they would be able to discern the negative aspects of the N type and have a viseral reaction to embrace the S.
    The S type description that is part of the collective MBTIC consciousness is different from canonical S type descriptions. I don't think you can argue that it has a negative flavor to it. Due to this place's history, there are plenty of people here who don't acknowledge that practical, productive, and loyal are significantly positive traits or that they are the realm of the S. It's just natural when (the general) you are in a community that values certain traits and downplays others, that you'd want to emphasize your positives and downplay your negatives, as perceived by that community.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii