User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default INFJ Seeks Advice from ESFPs

*Note: Can a mod fix my title? I made a boom-boom.

My roommate is ESFP. He's a very kind, warm, and helpful person. He sees in me somebody that he needs to "help," even though I don't really need his help. He's a good friend and somebody that I really like having around, but I can't seem to convince him that I don't need help, I don't need to be fixed.

I've recently sensed a lot of frustration from him directed at me. (Mind you, I've only SENSED this, so I could be wrong.) I know my intense introversion and general INFJ-ness confuses the hell out of him. He seems to think everybody in the world is E, and he attempted a few times when we first moved in together to "get me out of the house more," only to be met with my lack of interest in going out. I've been very direct in explaining that I don't like to go out NEARLY as frequently as he does.

He has also expressed a belief that I am depressed, when I very much am not -- again, probably owing to the fact that I like spending my weekends at home, working on projects, playing video games, cleaning, playing with the cats, stuff like that. When I go out, it's usually only to the house of another pair of close friends who are also extremely introverted.

I've attempted to show him that I'm not depressed, and have even said so, directly. I've told him directly that I'm fine, that I don't want to go out, and that I'm not depressed. It works for a while, but within a few weeks he's trying to get me out of the house again.

Any suggestions?
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    INFJ

Simple....If hes as warm and kind as you say he is, then he should have no problem to you guys sitting down and clearing up where theres been some "Misconceptions". Its important to examine yourself, and see where he possibly could be getting the assumptions that hes obviously voiceing..
    "People often Find out the truth, when its too late!!!"

Introverted (I) 78.79% Intuitive (N) 61.54% Feeling (F) 65.85% Judging (J) 60.53%

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by IrishStallion819 View Post
    Simple....If hes as warm and kind as you say he is, then he should have no problem to you guys sitting down and clearing up where theres been some "Misconceptions". Its important to examine yourself, and see where he possibly could be getting the assumptions that hes obviously voiceing..
    I have had a couple of chats with him already, but they don't seem to stick. I suppose that's really all I can do for now, just keep explaining, "No, really, I'm perfectly fine."

I will also have to have a serious conversation with my Ni, "Am I imagining this frustration?"
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    INFJ

Have you asked him "why" he thinks the way he does? Then, you guys building the conversation off of that?
    "People often Find out the truth, when its too late!!!"

Introverted (I) 78.79% Intuitive (N) 61.54% Feeling (F) 65.85% Judging (J) 60.53%

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by IrishStallion819 View Post
    Have you asked him "why" he thinks the way he does? Then, you guys building the conversation off of that?
    His attention tends to wane when I get into more complicated psychological differences between us. I was hoping another ESFP would have any suggestions for boiling down the myriad of differences between our types.

Although, now that I think about it, I might be trying to piss up a rope ...
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

hmm. I'm not sure what to tell you about this. If he's not listening, than its going to be hard to get through to him. He probably sees you as a puzzle to be solved. (Personally, I think INxJ's are the most puzzling types for me to understand.) I don't know what it is. The ones that I know, I don't feel that they need fixing, or helping, but I get the impression that because of their kindness and niceness, they want to go out and have fun with me. They are so nice that they must be my friend, and friends go out and have fun with friends, right?

I wonder if that's what your roomate is thinking. I have also falsly accused some strong introverts to be "depressed" or "downers" as well. But now realized that they just gather their energy differently than I do. (I'm a very mild extrovert, too.) But, I think that it must be insulting for you to be fussed over like that. So, all I can tell you is where he might be coming from. But I can't tell you how to fix it.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I get the impression that because of their kindness and niceness, they want to go out and have fun with me. They are so nice that they must be my friend, and friends go out and have fun with friends, right?

I wonder if that's what your roomate is thinking.
    I was afraid that he might be thinking that, too.
    INFJ
    4w5

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Well, its interesting to hear that from your point of view, anyways. I've ended a few friendships, (or let them fizzle out), because of introverts wanting to stay in the house when I wanted to go out. (I took it as a sign of them blowing me off. Seriously, who would rather stay in and clean and watch movies than go galavanting the town with ME!)

Although strong introverts usually maintain my friendship by inviting me to do whatever they are doing, (go study with them, go keep them company while they do chores, go play video games or simply go out to lunch with me, since that's not too big of an outing.)

It sounds like your roommate has a lot more extroversion than I do though so you may have more trouble getting him to go along with what you want to do.
    Likes FwanjW liked this post

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

What is your favorite activity when you're galavanting the town?
    Would an introvert enjoy it???
    And, yes, generally, I prefer galavanting the town to staying inside but I'm kind of borderline I/E so am probably not the best introvert example.
    It just sounds like the OP is having difficulty with an extravert who cannot understand a different way of gathering energy... though, I suppose, it's really hard to understand something is not what one experiences in day to day life. For the ESFP, the way that the introvert feels is just a concept.

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Well, its interesting to hear that from your point of view, anyways. I've ended a few friendships, (or let them fizzle out), because of introverts wanting to stay in the house when I wanted to go out. (I took it as a sign of them blowing me off. Seriously, who would rather stay in and clean and watch movies than go galavanting the town with ME!)
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

i've been known to want to drag my IXTJ boyfriends out and have asked them very similar questions, along the lines of "why dont you wanna go out/why are you being so depressed, its such a nice day, blah blah blah"
    the thing with ESFP's is that although we may understand that what we are hearing from the interoverts, doesn't mean we're not persistent about it.
    i would be a little more firm next time in telling him that everyone has different priorities and outings are NOT your thing. this might seem hard to do because he's very nice and all else, but perhaps worth the hassle.
    - From your fun-loving ESFP.
    Se/Fi/Te/Ni, 44% E / 88% S / 62% F / 67% P

http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/18/182571.png