• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTP/ENTP teaming relations

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I lately got involved into two greater occasions, when I was teamed with an ISTP. I must say it was really great.

One time was at university, when I formed the only two man team with an ISTP and we had to conduct an experiment on a steel shaft. We hat to measure how far you can stretch it in a machine until it breaks. We did the practical part and the maths in no time and finished long before any of the other 4 men teams got results. That was quite impressive.

The other time is now at work. My direct colleague is obviously ISTP. He drove a 2000 horse power tank in the army and is quite the cool guy. We work together like to cogs turning. Things just flow smoothly. And I really like his very bad humor :D.

Do you guys have similar experiences ? Or is it just me, seeing the world through rose-colored glasses ? :D

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Yeah, I'm really good at making them work for me. Appreciating them for their unique set of skills.

phoenity

It's all about efficient use of my time so I can get back to what I would rather be doing.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
In my experience, I work very well with ENTPs. They often have bright ideas and are competent enough to be a pleasure to work with. Occasionally they can be scatterbrained, but I can be that way too, so it's all gravy.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I always liked finishing those group experiments as quick as possible. Not sure why - I'd just hustle to get through them and then when finished sit out the rest of class and do nothing in particular.

In chemistry, for example, I'd usually be the guy who did all the weighing or titration or X and report back my numbers to other people who did the math who then passed the numbers on to whoever made attractive data tables. More efficient. Usually the group liked it that way.

ENTPs are decent to work except when you ask them a straight question and they make a pun out of it and then don't really answer your question. Ugh.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
It would be no surprise for these two to get along well in handling a project. ENTPs have a “Get Things Going” interaction style that appeals to the ISTP’s demeanor of “Just Do It!” and the ISTPs with their “Chart the Course” interaction style makes good project people in general in being able to see it through. Here is what Berens/Nardi says about them both:

ISTP
For them, team relationships are about taking action to solve problems. They tend to focus more on the task to be completed than on the team members doing the work. Relationships often evolve in the process of problem solving. They show they care by solving problems for other team members and are not as likely to express feelings verbally as they are to demonstrate them by doing things with those they care about. They enjoy keeping things simple and showing their teammates techniques and shortcuts that work. They don’t like to be on a team when they don’t know anyone. Establishing relationships within the team can take a lot of energy for them, so once it’s done they prefer not to change it. If they don’t feel trapped, they can be very loyal to the team and its members.
ENTP
For them, team relationships are about generating and sharing ideas. They are assertive in initiating relationships and there is usually an easy initial connection. They bring people together for interesting conversations. They want them to be at ease and to stimulate lively debate. They are good at connecting and aligning with people, getting to know them and sharing interests and activities. They are often a catalyst for the team, seeing the potential in others’ activities and perspectives. With their flood of new ideas and creative, unusual solutions they may be viewed by team members as out of control and into too many “grand” ideas at once; not realizing the perceptions of others, they may not verbalize the strategy behind their multi-focusing.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
Those quotes that "?" posted also remind me of another thing I like about ENTPs -- they can be good social equalizers. In other words, they can act as a kind of medium for me to communicate with the other group members, in a way, which lessens the amount of effort it takes to communicate my ideas. :) I'm not exactly sure how to say this eloquently... maybe an ENTP can help haha.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Those quotes that "?" posted also remind me of another thing I like about ENTPs -- they can be good social equalizers. In other words, they can act as a kind of medium for me to communicate with the other group members, in a way, which lessens the amount of effort it takes to communicate my ideas. :) I'm not exactly sure how to say this eloquently... maybe an ENTP can help haha.

4 words:
entps are social pimps

I'll let somebody less lazy give a deeper answer.

my sister is an istp, she seems to think I'm alright. But I'm not very entpish with the family for what we may call historical reasons

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Here is something I posted on INTPc about ENTP vs INTP.

In regards to ISTP and interacting with ENTP vs INTP. An ENTP will leave enough room for an ISTP to work in regard to theory and process, but an INTP will take it to far and not allow enough flexibility in there theories to allow for an ISTP to apply it to the real world. With an INTP I notice real quick how it just isnt practical applying it to the real world because there is to much chaos in the real world to apply a deeper theory.

ISTP needs theory and an ENTP can come up with just enough high level theory to let an ISTP run with it.

pecan111

maybe.....its we are very good at functional analysis of something...we take the work out of introverted way bec. we can carry the conversational ball well. the thing is though, we have to be somewhat interested in the project. If its boring to us, we won't be there emotionally...we will try and somehow escape the routine.

Also, it allows us to use our abilities to create analogies and make somethign simple from something complex.

Qre:us

Also, it allows us to use our abilities to create analogies and make somethign simple from something complex.

YES! This, to me, is true learning on my behalf (my measuring scale, in a way). If I can make it in every-day terms/words/analogies, I have understood something in depth. If I can make it relate, fit the bigger picture, the grander scheme, I have understood.

And, I do it to learn.

And, that's what I admire about ISTPs, the P makes them open to perspectives, and the S makes them on-the-go in the real world, grounded. And, they actualize the depth I wanna show in something. They make it tangible. Into a workable machine. The ones I've met are quick. Oh, so, sharp! Gets me hot & bothered, actually. That S sensibility towards the P perversion [which I can relate...the endless what-ifs, esp. with the Thinking fx added]. Love the mix of extroversion and introversion too, allows for easier flow of conversation - the duality.

pecan111

YES! This, to me, is true learning on my behalf (my measuring scale, in a way). If I can make it in every-day terms/words/analogies, I have understood something in depth. If I can make it relate, fit the bigger picture, the grander scheme, I have understood.

And, I do it to learn.

I am glad you agree...I MUST do this..i won't stop until i figure a way to inter-relate an issue...My analogies are awesome, or some I am told, but its a fantastic way to teach a complex or difficult intangible issue..especially understanding people...you must teach in a different way in order to help others more clearly see the real "meaning" and "exactness" of what you are trying to convey. I think that is why I have a rather large and extensive vocabulary. Its great that the english language has so many words that communicate very fine shades of meaning. Just wonderful to have just the right word to more clearly help understand ....but I am sure sometimes we go too far...I am learning to let go of some of this now.., but I always get energized to the max when people's lightbulb comes on and they "get it!"...

You can always tell when their face registers the "hit"! Thats why counseling is so incredible to me...Its eureka , I hit gold!!!

Qre:us

but I always get energized to the max when people's lightbulb comes on and they "get it!"...

You can always tell when their face registers the "hit"! Thats why counseling is so incredible to me...Its eureka , I hit gold!!!

Solving a knowledge (i.e., cracking its code, understanding) is the drug. And, that moment...my intellectual hit. For sure.

I am learning to let go of some of this now..,

Ah...addictions! My need to make a point to its greatest depth sometimes has me tripping over my words, too much overload of choices of how to convey. The perfect/right word. That gets understood.

Maybe that's why I sometimes wish to rather speak to those who don't speak my language. To me, it's one of the greatest lessons in learning how to convey ideas between humans. When one has minimal luxury of complex language at one's disposal.

So, when I do have the luxury of the English language at my disposal, it's an overload of how to pinpoint a thought from the myriad. I sometimes, thus, have run on-and-on-and-on&onnn sentences (with many bracketed side thoughts). I can't never explain enough. Like I missed just the right words/way to say it.

I'm also trying to lassoo that bad bull [in a china shop] ...in. Here's hoping.

But...when I get it right....it's like.....

oooohhhh...yeahhhhhh....

They get it. That means I got it. We get it.

We conquered knowledge. What a rush! :shock:

pecan111

=Qre:us;558029]Solving a knowledge (i.e., cracking its code, understanding) is the drug. And, that moment...my intellectual hit. For sure.

yes knowledge for sure, but for me i think its more about understanding...when I get the true understanding of a complex issue from someone, it tends to make me take them further into the "zone"..by that I mean more and more and more understanding and how it relates to something or someone else..its all about the interrelatedness...you know we have to find REALTIONSHIP or correlation with something...its not necess. about cause and effect, but it certainly tends to go there, but I am not out to prove what something caused, but rather, what something is RELATED to...its a kicker when i take an Sensor on this journey..they generally don't see the big picture and although it can be quite dull for them, sometimes its a real rush to see their eyes open and their emotions charged!!

Ah...addictions! My need to make a point to its greatest depth sometimes has me tripping over my words, too much overload of choices of how to convey. The perfect/right word. That gets understood.

Maybe that's why I sometimes wish to rather speak to those who don't speak my language. To me, it's one of the greatest lessons in learning how to convey ideas between humans. When one has minimal luxury of complex language at one's disposal.

So, when I do have the luxury of the English language at my disposal, it's an overload of how to pinpoint a thought from the myriad. I sometimes, thus, have run on-and-on-and-on&onnn sentences (with many bracketed side thoughts). I can't never explain enough. Like I missed just the right words/way to say it.

I'm also trying to lassoo that bad bull [in a china shop] ...in. Here's hoping

Yep, i totally agree....i can run on in an effort to gain more understanding and depth or relatedness. I am seeking an answer that will make more complete sense because then I can let it go and leave it be. If I can't make sense of something, it tends to linger and hang around. I hate that!! especially when emotions or good friends are involved. I think we are sometimes trying to understand and rationalize emotional states and I have sworn off ever deciding how someone felt.

They must tell me personally and i absolutely refuse to decide for them. Only thru their words and eyes can I more fully understand their subjective frame of reference. I will say that I am letting this go on a different level. At times, I can just feel empathy or it seems like I am hit with a wave of feeling from others. Its like this invisible, but palatable cloud or aura. I feel its their emotions, but I can't aways FEEL them accurately. I CAN FEEL an emotional tidal wave, but I CAN PERCEIVE and SEE what they are feeling, usually bec. I can read people so well most of the time. People dont realize that they give off all kinds of small behaviors and body language that tells on them. Its almost like I do an instant body scan like a damn laser scanner and instantly take in and process a total image boiled down to what is going on. I really didn't think about this in detail because we tend to think everyone else is doing the same thing, but i now realize everyone ISN'T doing this.. I trust my perceptions a lot, but i think I can be more objective than real emotional types.

I really didn't realize for a long time how much I do this, but I have been told so, so MANY MANY times that I read people like a book. I started to look more closely at what exactly I was doing. For me, its now some questions mixed with listening to my emotional inner voice. A combination of the two work together in order to act as a check on each other. If I detect an emotion mixed with a physical and visual perception that "matches", then I tend to trust and communicate that conclusion about someone. It surprises even me at how much I pick up on.

I recently was asked after meeting a complete stranger for about 3 minutes, what I thought of them. I did a check on my perceptions and emotions and told them what I thought. They were flabbergasted at what I had picked up on. This isn't unusual for me, but was unusual was that I had just met what most would consider a closet male whore and possible pedophile, but when others had been introduced to them, they almost always said "oh what a nice guy". " he was pretty cool" He was not a weirdo type.
Even I was surprised by what I had perceived about him...its nice to know I can do this, however I like to get feedback from someone who has known them awhile. IN this case, they had known them for quite some time.

I also have been told that I am in touch with my feelings very consistently. AGain, I really didn't realize until I started looking at what I do. Its like there is a constant barometer on in me. When I feel anything, I am essentially immediately aware of my inner change of state. I change my focus and attention like a damn lighthouse sweep of its light and flash all my attention on my emotions. Then my introverted thinking takes over and BAM! I can identify with a clarity that surprises me. Very fine shades of emotions and then I normally had to figure out WHY and WHERE they were coming from. Gratefully, I dont' do this all the time anymore.. Experiencing emotion without having to analyze them all the time has been a real relief for me! Can anyone identify with any of this?

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
Very few types in a working environment with an ENTP will not have the best time ever.

Hendo has said it before: ENTP is short for ENTrePreneur.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I was in a conversation with an ENTP the other day about programming and what it came down to was they were intrested in how all the little things fit together, while I was always interested in how the big picture fit together. Sometimes I forget about the little things and an ENTP is there to help out since that is what they are focused on, while He may forget about the bigger picture I am there to give him a hand since to me you gotta see how the little things affect the big picture. Both being P we are open to the others ideas. Its like an ISTP and an ENTP working together can see the whole picture and everything just fits together perfectly. Its like a perfect compromise of theory and application.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Interesting points Poki. I never thought about that, but I do focus on, maybe less of the big picture, but more of keeping the group on target by making sure we remain in the scheme of our ultimate goal. This I guess could easily look like big picture focusing, but I chalk it up to our "Chart the Course" traits.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Look, we already got the sound of the latest teaming relation online :D

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T95zuEttkIk"]:D[/YOUTUBE]

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
ISTP's are nine kinds of awesome, you get no argument from me there. I technically have about three best friends, but secretly the ISTP is my favourite (shhh!) and we totally do loads of awesome shit together. I don't know how it's possible to enjoy someone's company so much that doesn't have boobs :D

I always liked finishing those group experiments as quick as possible. Not sure why - I'd just hustle to get through them and then when finished sit out the rest of class and do nothing in particular.

Yeah, see, that's where it's at, that's where ISTP and ENTP really come together. let's get this formal, official shit over with, so we can get on with what we REALLY wanna do. Which is often nothing in particular :)

ENTPs are decent to work except when you ask them a straight question and they make a pun out of it and then don't really answer your question. Ugh.

Oh yah, soz about that :blush:

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
the thing is though, we have to be somewhat interested in the project. If its boring to us, we won't be there emotionally...we will try and somehow escape the routine.

Yeah, I've seen that happen before. If an ENTP isn't interested in a project that has been mandated by some higher authority, they will do the absolute minimum required.