User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Default Oh hey, so I have an actual question

I actually thought of a good question! ^_^

This is a question for my fellow ISTPs, but I guess anyone else can respond. After all, I can't very well stop you.

So I have a problem with remembering names! I'm great with faces; I can meet someone once and if I meet them again I will remember exactly where I've seen them. My question is, do the rest of you find this problem? Or am I just the cool kind of ISTP?

deleted

That's a right-brained characteristic that most ISTPs have to a certain extent.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I have this problem. It's sort of embarassing. I try, I really do, but sometimes the name and face don't click together for me. And all those "communication" sort of people are like "If you PAY ATTENTION and are a COURTEOUS person, you'll remember", but yeah...

I do remember better if I see the name written down.

MBTI
    INFP

This is becoming a problem for me. I might remember the most minute details of the person's life, but can't think of their name.

I let them know within a minute or two if it looks like we're going to have any length of converation. Because if I don't say something fairly soon it becomes increasingly problematic after a period of conversation to finally say, "Duh. Who are you?"

Usually I just say, "Sorry. I'm blocking on your name at the moment."

Works for me.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    TiSe

I think this has less to do with type and more to do with how one thinks. Some people think in pictures (which may be a common trait among Se users). For example when you hear a story you can see the vividness of the situation as it occurs. I am definitely good with faces, but in truth I most likely never knew the persons name in the first place. What you allude to can work the opposite for me as well. I have been using the same barber for about 2-3 years going to him monthly. He just learned my name about four months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    I think this has less to do with type and more to do with how one thinks. Some people think in pictures (which may be a common trait among Se users). For example when you hear a story you can see the vividness of the situation as it occurs. I am definitely good with faces, but in truth I most likely never knew the persons name in the first place. What you allude to can work the opposite for me as well. I have been using the same barber for about 2-3 years going to him monthly. He just learned my name about four months ago.
    That's it for it. I can picture where I met a person and their face, but if I only met them briefly then I usually don't remember names.

I guess that also has something to do with my learning style as well.

MBTI
    INFP

I would guess it depends on the circumstances. There is a theory that people who don't remember others' names are so self-referrential that they really don't pay attention to others and give that explanation for the forgetting of someone's name.

Some people are sharp with numbers and can remember strings of them, but have trouble with names.

I'm guessing that there is some connection with use of the brain/personality type to the extent of what kinds of information gets filtered. For instance, as a people person, I do remember the details of a person's life even while forgeting their name.

Another thing I've noticed is context. If I meet a person out of their natural habitat - heh - I may have more difficulty recognizing them.

For instance seeing a clerk at a bank I frequent in a coffee shop.

I've noticed that as I age I have much more difficulty remembering nouns than I do intangibles such as feeling, milhieu, circumstances.

The mnemonic thing? I've used it in the past. Generally that kind of thing ends up in absurdity for me.

Lessee, Mr. Rose, uh, has a big nose. Okay, got that. Perfect way to remember his name. Think of noses.

Sooooo. Next time I see Mr. Nose why do I keep thinking of roses? That's the sort of thing that happens to me. I'll remember the mnemonic device but not be able to apply it correctly. Odd thing my brain. . .
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Haha I totally get that, people should be named after how they look, "oh there goes Mr Sideburns and Dr. Scraggybeard" that would make things so much easier.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Brouhaha View Post
    I actually thought of a good question! ^_^

This is a question for my fellow ISTPs, but I guess anyone else can respond. After all, I can't very well stop you.

So I have a problem with remembering names! I'm great with faces; I can meet someone once and if I meet them again I will remember exactly where I've seen them. My question is, do the rest of you find this problem? Or am I just the cool kind of ISTP?
    I am horrible at remembering names. It helps me to ask them their last name, because for example "Justin" is a lot harder to remember than "Justin Jackson." It also helps to try to make a mental association that they have the same name as some other person I know very well.

It also helps if I write it down.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

And when they shave, you'll be left scratching your head and saying, "Who are you???"

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Haha I totally get that, people should be named after how they look, "oh there goes Mr Sideburns and Dr. Scraggybeard" that would make things so much easier.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.