• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Oh hey, so I have an actual question

Brouhaha

MBTI Type
ISTP
I actually thought of a good question! ^_^

This is a question for my fellow ISTPs, but I guess anyone else can respond. After all, I can't very well stop you.

So I have a problem with remembering names! I'm great with faces; I can meet someone once and if I meet them again I will remember exactly where I've seen them. My question is, do the rest of you find this problem? Or am I just the cool kind of ISTP?:laugh:

deleted
That's a right-brained characteristic that most ISTPs have to a certain extent.

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have this problem. It's sort of embarassing. I try, I really do, but sometimes the name and face don't click together for me. And all those "communication" sort of people are like "If you PAY ATTENTION and are a COURTEOUS person, you'll remember", but yeah...

I do remember better if I see the name written down.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
This is becoming a problem for me. I might remember the most minute details of the person's life, but can't think of their name.

I let them know within a minute or two if it looks like we're going to have any length of converation. Because if I don't say something fairly soon it becomes increasingly problematic after a period of conversation to finally say, "Duh. Who are you?"

Usually I just say, "Sorry. I'm blocking on your name at the moment."

Works for me.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I think this has less to do with type and more to do with how one thinks. Some people think in pictures (which may be a common trait among Se users). For example when you hear a story you can see the vividness of the situation as it occurs. I am definitely good with faces, but in truth I most likely never knew the persons name in the first place. What you allude to can work the opposite for me as well. I have been using the same barber for about 2-3 years going to him monthly. He just learned my name about four months ago.

phoenity

I think this has less to do with type and more to do with how one thinks. Some people think in pictures (which may be a common trait among Se users). For example when you hear a story you can see the vividness of the situation as it occurs. I am definitely good with faces, but in truth I most likely never knew the persons name in the first place. What you allude to can work the opposite for me as well. I have been using the same barber for about 2-3 years going to him monthly. He just learned my name about four months ago.

That's it for it. I can picture where I met a person and their face, but if I only met them briefly then I usually don't remember names.

I guess that also has something to do with my learning style as well.

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
I would guess it depends on the circumstances. There is a theory that people who don't remember others' names are so self-referrential that they really don't pay attention to others and give that explanation for the forgetting of someone's name.

Some people are sharp with numbers and can remember strings of them, but have trouble with names.

I'm guessing that there is some connection with use of the brain/personality type to the extent of what kinds of information gets filtered. For instance, as a people person, I do remember the details of a person's life even while forgeting their name.

Another thing I've noticed is context. If I meet a person out of their natural habitat - heh - I may have more difficulty recognizing them.

For instance seeing a clerk at a bank I frequent in a coffee shop.

I've noticed that as I age I have much more difficulty remembering nouns than I do intangibles such as feeling, milhieu, circumstances.

The mnemonic thing? I've used it in the past. Generally that kind of thing ends up in absurdity for me.

Lessee, Mr. Rose, uh, has a big nose. Okay, got that. Perfect way to remember his name. Think of noses.

Sooooo. Next time I see Mr. Nose why do I keep thinking of roses? That's the sort of thing that happens to me. I'll remember the mnemonic device but not be able to apply it correctly. Odd thing my brain. . .

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Haha I totally get that, people should be named after how they look, "oh there goes Mr Sideburns and Dr. Scraggybeard" that would make things so much easier.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
I actually thought of a good question! ^_^

This is a question for my fellow ISTPs, but I guess anyone else can respond. After all, I can't very well stop you.

So I have a problem with remembering names! I'm great with faces; I can meet someone once and if I meet them again I will remember exactly where I've seen them. My question is, do the rest of you find this problem? Or am I just the cool kind of ISTP?:laugh:

I am horrible at remembering names. It helps me to ask them their last name, because for example "Justin" is a lot harder to remember than "Justin Jackson." It also helps to try to make a mental association that they have the same name as some other person I know very well.

It also helps if I write it down.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
And when they shave, you'll be left scratching your head and saying, "Who are you???"
:cheese:

Haha I totally get that, people should be named after how they look, "oh there goes Mr Sideburns and Dr. Scraggybeard" that would make things so much easier.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I have a tough time remembering names. I do remember faces but the names are a different stories.
And yes, I have an easier time remembering phone numbers and other strings of numbers.
But that name thing... eventually, everyone becomes "whatshisface" and "whatsherface." I do, however, try to avoid greeting people with those words. :huh:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can never remember names, faces are fine for me however.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
I remember information about a person such as their name and whatever little I was told about them. I usually remember their clothes.

Man, ISTPs are amazing. I wish I had Se like that. Straight up, when the end times come I am grabbing an ISTP and doing whatever he says.

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
Lessee, Mr. Rose, uh, has a big nose. Okay, got that. Perfect way to remember his name. Think of noses.

Sooooo. Next time I see Mr. Nose why do I keep thinking of roses? That's the sort of thing that happens to me. I'll remember the mnemonic device but not be able to apply it correctly. Odd thing my brain. . .

:yim_rolling_on_the_

I remember information about a person such as their name and whatever little I was told about them. I usually remember their clothes.

Man, ISTPs are amazing. I wish I had Se like that. Straight up, when the end times come I am grabbing an ISTP and doing whatever he says.

You seem to associate the end of the world and ISTPs quite a bit...

Pancreas

MBTI Type
ISTP
I tend to be pretty good at recognising faces. As in I recognise I’ve seen them before. Somewhere.

I often recognise faces or voices on TV and can never connect them to the when, where or who. Through chance I’ll find out it was a minor character from a TV show I watched a few times when I was four. Or a show I used to watch frequently only a year or two ago. :doh:

I can clearly remember the faces of friends’ friends but will constantly forget names, unless I’ve had some sort of conversation or interaction with them. Even then it’s a bit iffy. I was recently told a girl’s name in passing on two separate occasions, forgot it and then actually went up and introduced myself. I got her name and a minute later it was gone. Completely gone.

I do remember better if I see the name written down.

Yeah, me too. Or If I picture the spelling. Must be the visual reinforcement.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
I'm gonna say it flat out: the real reason I don't remember names is because I really don't care.

Now before you get up in arms about me being anti-social, let me explain. :)

Similar to some other posters, I have a good visual memory. I rarely forget a face. If I have a conversation with a person, I'll usually remember the details of that conversation, and a good deal of detail about facial expressions, posture, and movement.

If I wanted to, later on, remember these details, I wouldn't have to remember that person's name. To me, that conversation was the important details (actual words used mixed with generally visual constructions), and the observed expressions. If I were to talk to that person, I wouldn't be talking to a name, but to the actual person in front of me.

In other words, the name is an arbitrary detail. Unless their name was written on their forehead. :doh: They could be named Bob or Jane or R2D2 or "&?" for all I care. It wouldn't really effect my perception of the person. Of course, THEY might care, and names are useful, so I have to make an effort to remember it. But the name remains like a post it note on a much larger framework - easy to fall off and not all that meaningful.

Oh, and I'm new here. Hey.

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Agreed with Bamboo.

And I also can't remember names...takes me months to learn most of them. Faces are what I remember people by and associate their personality/actions and such with. Names are relatively unimportant.

Bamboo

MBTI Type
XXFP
Agreed with Bamboo.

And I also can't remember names...takes me months to learn most of them. Faces are what I remember people by and associate their personality/actions and such with. Names are relatively unimportant.

Ha the above is actually an example of my point. You had to use my 'name' to identify me (utility).

But . . .
You're probably gonna forget it.

No worries - I hardly remember yours and I have it right in front of me. But I do remember a distinct ridge line/mtn range. Avatar = online face. Handy.

Brouhaha

MBTI Type
ISTP

Ha ha, if you associate ISTPs with he end of the world, your ISTP must be in to that sort of thing. I trust he has a zombie invasion plan? You should ask him. I bet he does.

And yes, I do.