• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ISTP] Oh hey, so I have an actual question

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I actually thought of a good question! ^_^

This is a question for my fellow ISTPs, but I guess anyone else can respond. After all, I can't very well stop you.

So I have a problem with remembering names! I'm great with faces; I can meet someone once and if I meet them again I will remember exactly where I've seen them. My question is, do the rest of you find this problem? Or am I just the cool kind of ISTP?:laugh:

I read about something a while ago about making association with people's names. They don't have to make sense. Lets try a hard one. My real name is EDAHN (pronounced ee DON). So. How're you gonna remember this?

ee DON is like the DON, the head of the mafia, and everytime you see me, you would think MAFIA GANGSTA. That' sit.

Costrin

rawr
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
No worries - I hardly remember yours and I have it right in front of me. But I do remember a distinct ridge line/mtn range. Avatar = online face. Handy.

Except when they change avatars. :doh: I try and make an effort to remember usernames for exactly that reason, and so when people mention the name I know who they're talking about! Same applies to real life somewhat.

Otherwise, I'm pretty bad at names, and good with faces.

phoenity

I read about something a while ago about making association with people's names. They don't have to make sense. Lets try a hard one. My real name is EDAHN (pronounced ee DON). So. How're you gonna remember this?

ee DON is like the DON, the head of the mafia, and everytime you see me, you would think MAFIA GANGSTA. That' sit.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Though none of us seem particularly concerned that we can't remember names. We're satisfied that we remember the important details :)

Brouhaha

MBTI Type
ISTP
Thanks for the suggestions.

Though none of us seem particularly concerned that we can't remember names. We're satisfied that we remember the important details :)

That's very true. I'm far more curious about other people, than am I unhappy with my own forgetfulness.

Tiny Army

MBTI Type
EN?P
Enneagram
Well, I like to be prepared in case of the end times but I am too flaky to pull this off. This ISTP isn't into that sort of thing as much as he is tolerant of my paranoia and he likes strategy, so planning the end times is pretty much the only thing we both like doing together.

(And I already had a zombie invasion plan. We have maps and a crowbar. We do an annual drill.)

Brouhaha

MBTI Type
ISTP
(And I already had a zombie invasion plan. We have maps and a crowbar. We do an annual drill.)[/QUOTE]

Good start.:thumbup:

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
I can't remember names well either.

I think this has less to do with type and more to do with how one thinks. Some people think in pictures (which may be a common trait among Se users). For example when you hear a story you can see the vividness of the situation as it occurs. I am definitely good with faces, but in truth I most likely never knew the persons name in the first place. What you allude to can work the opposite for me as well. I have been using the same barber for about 2-3 years going to him monthly. He just learned my name about four months ago.

Agreed. Visual (know faces) as opposed to auditory (know names) learners for example. I'm definitely more visual.

paradox fox

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
It's strange because I have the opposite problem.
Most of the time I remember people's names, but sometimes it's hard for me to remember faces. I can recognize people I know when I see them, but sometimes when they're away I can't picture their face in my mind. It's annoying for sure, but it's not usually embarrassing. I'm more of an auditory person than a visual person.
The way I remember names is I make sure I say the person's name myself (otherwise I pretty much will not remember it.) I think of someone else who has the same (or similar) name, or if it's an unusual name I ask them to spell it.
And if I do forget I just make it funny because everyone forgets names from time to time.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm a visual person. As in, I remember faces and other things if I see them. My mind is pretty photographic in that way. I'm even able to remember all the names on this forum because I can see them.

But if you tell me your name, I won't remember. I don't remember a lot of what's spoken to me. I've come to the point where after I learn a persons name, I'll look at a dominant feature they have and try to make a rhyme or little saying so I remember.

Example:

Suzy go to bed, you'll ruin your hair of red.

It doesn't even make sense most of the time, but it helps me remember.

sLiPpY

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Names have always been a problem for me. So I invented a game, that helps me remember the names.

When I first meet someone I make up a nick-name. It's automatic, I've done it so often.

i.e. Marcia is "Marshmellow"

Or it might be based upon physical characteristics and contextual position?

One executive became "Jaba" as in "Jaba the Hud"...his administrative assistant was "Princess Leha" sp? And it was kind of fun to play Jaba's laugh using a wave file when I'd return to my desk. So everybody else would know where I'd been. :)

Now if I see someone, outside of the context I'm used to seeing them. Many times... I have no freakin' idea who they are or where I know them from? :doh:

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
yea i usually remember their faces but not their names

"hey i know you, you're that...that guy!"

Hunter

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Heh, I'm horrible with names. Usually I'm just stuck saying, "Hey...you! What's your name again?" I once went to classes on Thursday and ate lunch with the same person every Thursday for an entire semester...and yet when I went to the school Christmas party, I wouldn't have known her name if it weren't for the name tag. It was pretty sad on my part. -shakeshead-

But I've always been pretty good with faces and definitely really good with memorizing strings of numbers. I'm incredibly visual so if I've seen it, I have a much easier time remembering it. But if I've only heard it...ugh. -sighs- I hate class lectures. XD

mcmartinez84

MBTI Type
ISTP
Yep.
Except when they change avatars. :doh: I try and make an effort to remember usernames for exactly that reason, and so when people mention the name I know who they're talking about! Same applies to real life somewhat.

Otherwise, I'm pretty bad at names, and good with faces.
It's funny the way my brain registers that someone changed their avatar.
"Oh, that's a different avatar...lessee what s/he has to say...*reads*...oh, that sounds like X poster from before! I wonder who this is! I haven't seen them before. What's their username? :doh: That IS X poster from before. Who changes their avatar when that's how I remember them?!"

I'm not good with names either.

I read once that names are hard to remember because 1) you only hear it once or twice and 2) 'cause names don't have a lot of meaning, they're just words that we call people, seemingly arbitrary words, especially people we don't know well...it's kinda hard to remember that stuff when it comes out of no where. We also don't use names for anything else since they have no real meaning.

It's not like we run around saying "gosh, that person is so mary" (where "mary" means "bitter").

Last edited:

gromit

likes this
It's funny the way my brain registers that someone changed their avatar.
"Oh, that's a different avatar...lessee what s/he has to say...*reads*...oh, that sounds like X poster from before! I wonder who this is! I haven't seen them before. What's their username? :doh: That IS X poster from before. Who changes their avatar when that's how I remember them?!"

Yes I feel so confused when people change their avatars... but I understand wanting to change avatars.