User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

Default How does an ESFP keep a schedule and stick to routines?

This is not my strong point, to stay organized.
    i love to START things - projects, mainly of artistic nature.
    But many things in life beg for structure, as my NTJ parents stress time and time again. I see their point, and at times i do feel at ease when i have been doing something consistently (working out, etc) but eventually i forget, or lose interest.

How do i stick to something?? How do you SP's handle routine?
    Even simple things like brushing your teeth twice a day or working out -

I'd like to know.
    - From your fun-loving ESFP.
    Se/Fi/Te/Ni, 44% E / 88% S / 62% F / 67% P

http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/18/182571.png

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

bump? please help?

The best thing to use is the GTD Getting Thing Done system. It's flexible and you don't feel tied down to a piece of paper.
    Worked for me anyway.

There's heaps of resources online about it. Just google Getting Things Done.
    Here's wikipedia to get you started.
    Last edited by wolfy; 02-01-2009 at 10:54 AM.

MBTI
    XXFP

Funny you mention working out. My roommate of a few weeks ago, also an ESFP, was a workout fiend. While that may be an interesting coincidence, I have some advice which may help, using him as an example so read on. He wasn't all that organized when it came to a lot of things (laundry for one), but he always managed to stick to his workout plans. I'm talking supplements, sets, reps, specific lifts, long term weight and diet changes, the whole nine yards.

To stick to his goals he:
    - was really passionate about his goals.
    I suspect that passion will motivate all types, but with SPs (I'm also one - ISTP) I think we have to have the goal, whatever it is, somehow right in front of us. Not abstract. You mentioned that you forgot or lost interest...why? Was the goal no longer in front of you/on your mind? To get really motivated, I think SPs need to immerse themselves in whatever it is.

Using my roomie and as an example, sure enough, he immersed himself in working out. He's a nutrition/health major for one, so exercise was likely never far from his mind. Also, in his spare time he'd be spending time on the bodybuilding forums. Not all of this was time spent doing serious research, just time looking around at stuff related to the topic. While you're not doing the activity, find jokes, stories or whatever keeps your mind thinking about the goal at hand.

He also saturated the area where he spent a lot of time - his desk, with notes, reminders, and calendars. None of this was really all that organized, just a jumble of hand written notes. But every time he looked up from playing video games or whatever, there were his goals. Little doubt that having that right in front of him was useful to keep him on track.

So to summarize: immerse and saturate. Alter your physical environment so it's not possible for you to forget your goals.

Sorry kinda long. Maybe that helps?

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Wait for some Te to develop.

But yea. I used to have the same problem. (I guess I still do, in a way, but work around it better.) I do have a dayplanner which I try to follow. I find writing things down makes me feel more in control of my life, and if they don't get done at the right time, its okay, as long as I can be reminded that they need to get done eventually.
    The biggest thing is that I don't beat myself up anymore if I don't stick exactly to schedule like the people around me, since I know that this kind of thing will really make me tired in the end. Instead I do the best I can, and try to get the most work possible done during energy spurts/ or times when I'm feeling more serious. If that means 2 in the morning, then that's what it means. The world around you still isn't going to accept it very well, since people like predictability. But who cares really as long as things are getting done.
    And as far as micromanaging your schedule, (trying to work out at the same time, brush your teeth twice a day, take your multivitamin every day, drink 8 glasses of water), well. I try to keep them in mind. But it becomes very frustrating after a while if I try to stick strictly to things. So, again. Just kind of keep them in mind but don't beat yourself up if things don't go exactly the way you want them to. Its more fun this way anyways.

MBTI
    ESTP

Yeah, routine sucks.
    Not even working out helps. I had a bright, wonderful plan to start working out so that I look better. I did regularly work out... for about 3 days. It was much better to actually pay for it, since I felt like wasting money if not going. But I ended up abandoning it, because most of the times I was not in the mood I didn't go.

This is just a mere example of how routine stuff cannot work for me.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I don't know any ESFPs, but what works for me (sometimes, if I really want it to) is picking one habit, nothing huge or anything, but let's say brushing your teeth every morning, and then doing it every morning for a few weeks, even if I don't feel like it and try to make excuses. then IF you manage to get through that it's pretty easy to keep doing it.

Can't say it works well, but a lot better than anything else I've tried. Oh yeah, if it's something not too personal you can tell your roommates/friends so they can harass you if you get lazy. That might help too.

Oh and for working out, I signed up for a kung fu class, so I pay for 10 classes whether or not I go...tends to make me more likely to go.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

Thanks for the help, guys.

As for having friends remind me? I only get offended and frustrated when reminded, even though they're only telling me what i've asked of them.

Yeah, gotta start small...

More advice would be appreciated.

why do you need a routine? just do things whenever is the best time to do them

it saves a lot of time too cause Ps often get to knock out 2 birds with 1 stone

sif try to turn J and do things the slow way

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

I only adhere to routines out of necessity (job schedule) but push the boundaries of the bubble whenever I can, and usually end up creating a working arrangement for all.

I do all that I HAVE TO DO with vigor so I can get it over with and move on to the things I WANT TO DO. Is that helpful at all?

Regarding working out, I absolutely love it. I am thankful for any chance I get to go the gym and go nuts. Its one of the only pure physical releases that is available in this world that is risk free of prosecution.

Here's my "Mighty Thor" costume from this past Hallwoeen:

If a routine is forced onto us (SP) that is not of our choosing OR not of our liking then we will get ultimately pissed at some point and wheel and deal our way out of it.

The worst routine I ever had forced on me was Sunday School as a kid: BLECH!