User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

i'm starting to write in a journal again, i hear it helps turn your scary nagging subconscious thoughts into harmless thoughts that become immediate in your brain and thusly less stressful. if done consistently, should help...
    - From your fun-loving ESFP.
    Se/Fi/Te/Ni, 44% E / 88% S / 62% F / 67% P

http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/18/182571.png

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I dunno if this applies to you when you're on the go (probably not), but when I'm at my desk working, I keep a spreadsheet of all my work-related tasks -- listed by ticket# ('cause my workplace uses a ticketing system where everything's referenced by that number--might not apply to you), request date, owner, subject and what I call the "REAL" priority, a number from 1-5. Everything labeled priority "1" I boldface and work on it right away. I typically sort the spreadsheet by the workflow priority so all my #1's are up top, #2's right below them, etc.

Again, doubt this applies to stuff you do "on-the-go" (although you could probably jot down stuff from the spreadsheet in a small paper journal or note on your phone) but if you're having trouble keeping stuff together at a desk job, this might help. My biggest problem at work was a lack of direction as to the "priority" of things and I kept getting blasted from all sides (boss, other teams) for failing to work on certain things, letting things slip by, etc. until I realized our ticketing system was just horribly inadequate for giving us employees an idea of what we're "REALLY" supposed to be doing at any point in time. (That part is being remedied, funny enough..... but I'm still betting I will stick with my little spreadsheet even after the new system is in place, 'cause I'm a snob like that.)
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by defragmybrain View Post
    sigh. well there goes my seeking advice idea.
    I did give you advice... I told you to embrace your P and use it to your advantage rather than try and do things the J way

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

i'm starting to write in a journal again, i hear it helps turn your scary nagging subconscious thoughts into harmless thoughts that become immediate in your brain and thusly less stressful. if done consistently, should help...
    I dunno if I am interpreting this correctly, but scary subconscious thoughts seem like apprehension about a given task and if it will have a bad outcome. When something of importance in my life registers in my subconscious as a "Oh Boy! I don't know how this is going to turn out!" type of task, I am guilty of thinking out the worst possible scenarios and then accepting all of them so I can just move forward and do my best and see what happens, my Mom does this! Arrrgghh!!!

Recently though (past few years) I have short circuited that thinking and I just immediately write down a bulleted list of what needs to be done to fix the problem, in order (1-5). Then go down into a little more detail for each bullet. That kind of journaling seems effective for work related stuff. If its just rambling writing it may relieve some stress, but it will be of limited utility in formulating a solution.

MBTI
    ISTP

Erm...so yeah, I guess I could have things to say as an SP. Yeah, I'm really bad at routines too. The one that relates here is going to gym. Yeah, it's not even a quarter of a mile down the road, and it's free since I'm in college, but I tend to think myself out of it all the time. However I still manage to force myself at least 3 times a week, so I guess that's semi routine.

Well the way that I manage that is something of a combination of what has been said. I definitely want to be healthier and get rid of this unsightly fat, which is definitely a motivation for me. I think that motivation is enough to put a nagging guilty feeling in my head if I don't go to the gym. As for dealing with my laziness, I can't really give too much advice. I generally know all day that I want to go to the gym and then at the last second force myself to put on my running shoes and head out.

Oh, so summary: I think it's important to know that you want to do something as part of a routine that day. Just being aware is important. Then from there it's kind of a battle of will over laziness. Not that I'm calling you lazy. That's just my situation.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Brouhaha View Post
    Erm...so yeah, I guess I could have things to say as an SP. Yeah, I'm really bad at routines too. The one that relates here is going to gym. Yeah, it's not even a quarter of a mile down the road, and it's free since I'm in college, but I tend to think myself out of it all the time. However I still manage to force myself at least 3 times a week, so I guess that's semi routine.

Well the way that I manage that is something of a combination of what has been said. I definitely want to be healthier and get rid of this unsightly fat, which is definitely a motivation for me. I think that motivation is enough to put a nagging guilty feeling in my head if I don't go to the gym. As for dealing with my laziness, I can't really give too much advice. I generally know all day that I want to go to the gym and then at the last second force myself to put on my running shoes and head out.

Oh, so summary: I think it's important to know that you want to do something as part of a routine that day. Just being aware is important. Then from there it's kind of a battle of will over laziness. Not that I'm calling you lazy. That's just my situation.
    oh no worries, i am pretty lazy. its just even when i try to make a conscious effort it goes to waste cause i cant stay consistent. i know you have to WANT something... but there are billons of other factors and variables to keep you from doing it. you know how it is.
    and you're lucky; my gym is a ways away and its NOT cheap.
    thanks though.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lukepd View Post
    I did give you advice... I told you to embrace your P and use it to your advantage rather than try and do things the J way
    unfortunately doing things the P way doesnt get anything done... at least in my case. shrug.

unfortunately doing things the P way doesnt get anything done... at least in my case. shrug.
    Ohhh yes It does Ps can be super productive

We work best in bursts of energy... just in my opinion there's no point in having routines if its not your style, then you may as well become a J and be done with it.

I get things done by having fun first... after I've had fun I feel much happier and my good mood carries through to my work

I do things when I feel is the best time to get them done... not at a specific time... I often will do MANY things at once in a short space of time!

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Lukepd View Post
    Ohhh yes It does Ps can be super productive

We work best in bursts of energy... just in my opinion there's no point in having routines if its not your style, then you may as well become a J and be done with it.

I get things done by having fun first... after I've had fun I feel much happier and my good mood carries through to my work

I do things when I feel is the best time to get them done... not at a specific time... I often will do MANY things at once in a short space of time!
    Agreed. You have to have enough fun time to give you the energy for the productive time. And then you get these energy bursts where you should be working and getting things done. Its an on-the-edge way to live, but its the only thing that works for me.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Agreed. You have to have enough fun time to give you the energy for the productive time. And then you get these energy bursts where you should be working and getting things done. Its an on-the-edge way to live, but its the only thing that works for me.
    i guess for me it doesnt'.. i'm very much 'on the edge' and live always having fun and put my indulgences first... don't know how to prioritize for the life of me.
    But when thats' done, even then i cant get myself to sit down and get busy.