• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SPs and decisions

MissMurder

MBTI Type
eSTP
How do you go about the decision-making process? Could you tell me what it's like?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
uhhhhhhh...can you be more specific?

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I reason everything into the picture. I look at the consequences, positives, possible outcomes, how it affects others, do I have a really good chance of getting hurt bad. If I feel comfortable with the good vs bad I do it.

rhinosaur

Just a statistic
MBTI Type
INTP
How do you go about the decision-making process? Could you tell me what it's like?

I'll give you an example. It's almost lunchtime, which means soon I'll need to decide on what to eat.

Chances are I'll put on my bike gear without a clear idea of where I'm going to go. Once I get outside, I'll start factoring in the following variables:

- What's nearby
- How hungry I am
- What the healthiest options are
- How much time I have
- What I'm in the mood to eat

And then after thinking a little bit while I ride my bike (it's not rocket science), something will emerge as the clear winner. Today I think the winner will be a taco salad.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'll give you an example. It's almost lunchtime, which means soon I'll need to decide on what to eat.

Chances are I'll put on my bike gear without a clear idea of where I'm going to go. Once I get outside, I'll start factoring in the following variables:

- What's nearby
- How hungry I am
- What the healthiest options are
- How much time I have
- What I'm in the mood to eat

And then after thinking a little bit while I ride my bike (it's not rocket science), something will emerge as the clear winner. Today I think the winner will be a taco salad.

Lol, my thought process, its almost lunch time, do I want to stop what I am doing and go eat or can I live with the hunger? Solution 90% of time, I will eat in a few minutes. 3 hours later, crap, its to close to diner to eat, ill just wait for dinner.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Lol, my thought process, its almost lunch time, do I want to stop what I am doing and go eat or can I live with the hunger? Solution 90% of time, I will eat in a few minutes. 3 hours later, crap, its to close to diner to eat, ill just wait for dinner.

:laugh: That has happened to me many times.

D

Dali

Haha, that's me right there. Do you also do the thing whereby you get a little light-headed at 9 pm and you realise you've not had anything to eat since an early-morn breakfast?

To answer the OP, I make decisions on the fly much like Alicia said.

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
Hm, interesting question.

If I have to take an important decision, like what I am going to do with my life- but not only, then I will procrastinate and avoid thinking of that until it's vital, unavoidable and absolutely necessary. And of course, think about it carefully, only to arrive at the conclusion that I have no idea. And then start all over again.

But if it's something simpler, it would take me 2 miliseconds to figure out the right answer. Depending on my mood.

MissMurder

MBTI Type
eSTP
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.

I am questioning whether or not I'm an SJ after all. I'm not all that decisive. Decisions are quite important to me, and I put a lot of thought into the choices I make (depending on how important the decision being made is). I've been finding myself thinking about the term "analysis paralysis", and how well that describes the way I make decisions.

I can't just make a snap choice, because it's pretty well guaranteed to be wrong. I must sift through data first, analyzing and then reanalyzing over and over again. I "make up my mind" several times before finally reaching a decision. The process is often upsetting, and most certainly draining, but in the end, I take pride in how methodical I am when I need to be. I am absolutely excellent with money, for example. I never buy anything on a whim.

Yet, with less important choices, I'm incredibly laid back. My response to the unknown is to try anything once. I love trying new things, and I am incredibly curious. If a choice won't have lasting, enduring ramifications, I just go for it! It's fun! :D

My friends say that I'm an "extremist", I either go all out or not at all. I bet it looks that way on the outside, but I'm most certainly not a fickle person. I'm just constantly changing my mind depending on the data I currently have at hand.

Is this the SP way of thinking?

millerm277

MBTI Type
ISTP
Haha, that's me right there. Do you also do the thing whereby you get a little light-headed at 9 pm and you realise you've not had anything to eat since an early-morn breakfast?

I did slightly better. Got light-headed at 5PM, and realized that I hadn't had anything to eat in 21 hours...oops. (Busy day, and I woke up late and so forgot about breakfast).

Unique

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.

I am questioning whether or not I'm an SJ after all. I'm not all that decisive. Decisions are quite important to me, and I put a lot of thought into the choices I make (depending on how important the decision being made is). I've been finding myself thinking about the term "analysis paralysis", and how well that describes the way I make decisions.

I can't just make a snap choice, because it's pretty well guaranteed to be wrong. I must sift through data first, analyzing and then reanalyzing over and over again. I "make up my mind" several times before finally reaching a decision. The process is often upsetting, and most certainly draining, but in the end, I take pride in how methodical I am when I need to be. I am absolutely excellent with money, for example. I never buy anything on a whim.

Yet, with less important choices, I'm incredibly laid back. My response to the unknown is to try anything once. I love trying new things, and I am incredibly curious. If a choice won't have lasting, enduring ramifications, I just go for it! It's fun! :D

My friends say that I'm an "extremist", I either go all out or not at all. I bet it looks that way on the outside, but I'm most certainly not a fickle person. I'm just constantly changing my mind depending on the data I currently have at hand.

Is this the SP way of thinking?

Sounds like you're a T :O

wolfy

awsm
Doesn't sound like a SP way to me. I'm like the rest, I fly by the seat of my pants.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Doesn't sound like a SP way to me. I'm like the rest, I fly by the seat of my pants.

I keep trying to do that, but I can't get off the ground. Maybe I need to try some different pants.

wolfy

awsm

I keep trying to do that, but I can't get off the ground. Maybe I need to try some different pants.

Don't practice too much or this will be your next David Lee Roth avatar.

dlr.jpg

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

:yay: I really am a SP!

Although, I don't even realise I'm hungry in the first place... kay, scrap that.

Think it's pretty safe to say you're not a SP Miss Murder :yes:

Unique

Yeah SPs do make "snap choices" all the time Miss murder that you said you don't do. We don't really think about it too much... we quickly simplify and decide the best option.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah SPs do make "snap choices" all the time Miss murder that you said you don't do. We don't really think about it too much... we quickly simplify and decide the best option.

Yeah, like my snap choice was to hit "quote" on Luke's post and tell him:

NER NER NER NER NER NER NER NER NER NER

NER NER NER

NER NER NER NER NER

NER NER

See? Didn't think about that too much. :yes:

wolfy

awsm
Miss Murder thinks her decisions through.

Talk about premeditated.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Depends on my mood. Sometimes I can make fast decisions, other times my mind just goes blank during decision-time and I just go, "uhmmm...errrrr... uhmmm...." Like this past weekend. Go on a last minute three day trip and blow off all the work I have to do, or stay home and do the work. I had so much work to do that the right choice was obvious. It took me forever to decide. I decided on the trip. I didn't really think it through at all, I just sat there with my thumb up my ass for a while, with no thoughts, and then said. "alright, screw it i'll go."