User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    eSTP
    Socionics
    eSTp

Default SPs and decisions

How do you go about the decision-making process? Could you tell me what it's like?
    Power is the virtue that makes all other virtues possible.
    Youtube - Oversensitive Witches
    Scary Bedtime Prayer

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

uhhhhhhh...can you be more specific?
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    STP

I reason everything into the picture. I look at the consequences, positives, possible outcomes, how it affects others, do I have a really good chance of getting hurt bad. If I feel comfortable with the good vs bad I do it.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by MissMurder View Post
    How do you go about the decision-making process? Could you tell me what it's like?
    I'll give you an example. It's almost lunchtime, which means soon I'll need to decide on what to eat.

Chances are I'll put on my bike gear without a clear idea of where I'm going to go. Once I get outside, I'll start factoring in the following variables:

- What's nearby
    - How hungry I am
    - What the healthiest options are
    - How much time I have
    - What I'm in the mood to eat

And then after thinking a little bit while I ride my bike (it's not rocket science), something will emerge as the clear winner. Today I think the winner will be a taco salad.

MBTI
    STP

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    I'll give you an example. It's almost lunchtime, which means soon I'll need to decide on what to eat.

Chances are I'll put on my bike gear without a clear idea of where I'm going to go. Once I get outside, I'll start factoring in the following variables:

- What's nearby
    - How hungry I am
    - What the healthiest options are
    - How much time I have
    - What I'm in the mood to eat

And then after thinking a little bit while I ride my bike (it's not rocket science), something will emerge as the clear winner. Today I think the winner will be a taco salad.

Lol, my thought process, its almost lunch time, do I want to stop what I am doing and go eat or can I live with the hunger? Solution 90% of time, I will eat in a few minutes. 3 hours later, crap, its to close to diner to eat, ill just wait for dinner.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Lol, my thought process, its almost lunch time, do I want to stop what I am doing and go eat or can I live with the hunger? Solution 90% of time, I will eat in a few minutes. 3 hours later, crap, its to close to diner to eat, ill just wait for dinner.
    That has happened to me many times.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Haha, that's me right there. Do you also do the thing whereby you get a little light-headed at 9 pm and you realise you've not had anything to eat since an early-morn breakfast?

To answer the OP, I make decisions on the fly much like Alicia said.

MBTI
    ESTP

Hm, interesting question.

If I have to take an important decision, like what I am going to do with my life- but not only, then I will procrastinate and avoid thinking of that until it's vital, unavoidable and absolutely necessary. And of course, think about it carefully, only to arrive at the conclusion that I have no idea. And then start all over again.

But if it's something simpler, it would take me 2 miliseconds to figure out the right answer. Depending on my mood.

MBTI
    eSTP
    Socionics
    eSTp

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.

I am questioning whether or not I'm an SJ after all. I'm not all that decisive. Decisions are quite important to me, and I put a lot of thought into the choices I make (depending on how important the decision being made is). I've been finding myself thinking about the term "analysis paralysis", and how well that describes the way I make decisions.

I can't just make a snap choice, because it's pretty well guaranteed to be wrong. I must sift through data first, analyzing and then reanalyzing over and over again. I "make up my mind" several times before finally reaching a decision. The process is often upsetting, and most certainly draining, but in the end, I take pride in how methodical I am when I need to be. I am absolutely excellent with money, for example. I never buy anything on a whim.

Yet, with less important choices, I'm incredibly laid back. My response to the unknown is to try anything once. I love trying new things, and I am incredibly curious. If a choice won't have lasting, enduring ramifications, I just go for it! It's fun!

My friends say that I'm an "extremist", I either go all out or not at all. I bet it looks that way on the outside, but I'm most certainly not a fickle person. I'm just constantly changing my mind depending on the data I currently have at hand.

Is this the SP way of thinking?
    Power is the virtue that makes all other virtues possible.
    Youtube - Oversensitive Witches
    Scary Bedtime Prayer

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_(operalover) View Post
    Haha, that's me right there. Do you also do the thing whereby you get a little light-headed at 9 pm and you realise you've not had anything to eat since an early-morn breakfast?
    I did slightly better. Got light-headed at 5PM, and realized that I hadn't had anything to eat in 21 hours...oops. (Busy day, and I woke up late and so forgot about breakfast).
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%