User Tag List

First 78910 Last

MBTI
    INTP

"Dude, I post on this internet forum dedicated to a moderately useless and totally esoteric topic in psychology. We were talking about you, and somebody said you were lame."

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    It is...? I can't think of a type that is less controlling, as a whole. Except in some reversal of being controlled, because we are also the type that probably hates being controlled the most.
    Yes, I can't really think of many instances where I've tried to control someone else. I can think of several examples where I've gotten annoyed, upset, or outright mad at someone for trying to force me (or a loved one) to do something that they didn't want to do.

Maybe this guy just needs a hug.

I want a hug too.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'm pretty sure if it were as simple as a hug, Tiny would've already solved the problem by now instead of making the thread at all

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Yes, I can't really think of many instances where I've tried to control someone else. I can think of several examples where I've gotten annoyed, upset, or outright mad at someone for trying to force me (or a loved one) to do something that they didn't want to do.
    Heh, that sounds very much in line with the personality. We are distant and removed, for the most part, not close and involved. Especially with people.

I still couldn't identify the main problem from the OP to here, to be honest, so I have no comment in general... but the controlling part seems way off from what I've read.

I want a hug too.
    It always makes him sound like he's broken.

But hugs do help, heh.

MBTI
    STP

I want a hug too.
    Yes, even an ISTP can become controlling, judgemental, and hurt those we love. trust me.

MBTI
    ISTP

"Dude, I post on this internet forum dedicated to a moderately useless and totally esoteric topic in psychology. We were talking about you, and somebody said you were lame."
    Yeah, that'll do.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    It is...? I can't think of a type that is less controlling, as a whole. Except in some reversal of being controlled, because we are also the type that probably hates being controlled the most.
    Sorry, I didn't quote everything I replied to and worded my response poorly. I wasn't trying to say that the preference to control was in spec, but rather it's not unheard of that a male ISTP may have preferences on how his girl dresses/looks.

I agree that healthy ISTPs are some of the least controlling people out there.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Udog View Post
    Sorry, I didn't quote everything I replied to and worded my response poorly. I wasn't trying to say that the preference to control was in spec, but rather it's not unheard of that a male ISTP may have preferences on how his girl dresses/looks.
    Oh yes, that I can agree with... we certainly can have preferences, and we can verbalize them in a more direct way. We don't always communicate it well either, so I can see how other types might see this as controlling. The strange thing about it is that it is more 'blackmailing', as a result of being so independent - don't do what we like, and we tend to withdraw and stay away.

And of course, all types have their own coping mechanisms. As mentioned above, ISTPs can absolutely be controlling in very negative ways, just like all types can.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

So it's 3 of you roommates against the 2 others?

Jeez...who'd wanna live like that? Too much drama.

I say move, ask them to move, or learn how to ignore them.

MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram

See, I don't see disharmony as something to get away from but as a challenge. When faced with a disharmonious situation my way of coping is trying to understand why there is disharmony and making sure that I am at least doing my part to be as accommodating as I can where I need to be. I would feel uncomfortable abandoning a situation before I feel like I've done my best to improve it.