MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    if it's working then my answer is yes.
    So it wouldn't be anymore awkward than usual with me rubbing on you like a cat? Shampanyuh?!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

Dali

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    He probably knows you've never particularly liked him, and if he does, he's likely to distrust your sudden change of heart - at least, that's how I am.

If you want to make him comfortable, I would suggest...being normal. not trying too hard to be best friends, if you want him to feel welcome just invite him to join you in things, or to play video games or something. even if he doesn't want to, he'll probably appreciate the gesture.

It feels like your goal is to avoid conflict in the house, rather than forming a deep connection with this guy. That's probably best, at least to start. If you have things in common, friendship will happen naturally. otherwise, well, most of the istps I've known have a pretty easy time being polite to people we don't particularly like or dislike, as long as we aren't forced into a corner. most people aren't looking to cause trouble, I think.
    +1

Some of the other responses on here are either patronising or smack of uber-kissassery.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_(operalover) View Post
    +1

Some of the other responses on here are either patronising or smack of uber-kissassery.
    I 2nd that (and Randomnity's post.)

I also suggest getting to know him, rather than basing actions on his type.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Army View Post
    He cuts short every conversation I have with him and frequently criticises me and the other roomates about our life choices.

ISTPs, how do you make friends? Am I maybe misinterpreting his actions as judgemental or standoffish when he really has other intentions?
    Now I'm very new to this "type" nonsense, but since I'm the same as this guy, let me see if I can understand him.

The thing is, I can't imagine him actually having something against you. From my experience with ISTPs, mostly myself but I've seen it on this forum too, we don't really hold grudges. It's a pain in the ass to maintain poor relations. It's usually just easier to avoid conflict with people we don't like by being polite and ignoring them. Chances are he's being rude because it entertains him, I've done that before. Maybe if you just ignore him he'll stop.

How do you mean cutting off conversations? I mean with my poor communication skills I'm not very good at maintaining conversations; I often give one word answers and the conversation dies right there. Maybe he's just no good at communicating. Oh, and I criticize my friends all the time, usually about smoking or excessive drinking though.

Although that was a rambling description of what I'm like, I hope I might have given insights into this guy. Who knows?

MBTI
    EN?P
    Enneagram

Hmmm, he does think I smoke too much. I've been theorising that maybe he has begun to realise how deeply I dislike his girlfriend. Though, hilariously, he seems to be on my side about this. But it makes conversations uncomfortable because the major thing we have in common is her and neither of us like her very much anymore. I have asked him about his interests and they appear to stop at bodybuilding and World of Warcraft. I tried to understand the WoW thing because I play D and D but he thinks all D and D players are incredibly lame and should upgrade to WoW. Then the conversation is over.

I have come to really appreciate the way the ISTP mind works. Straight up, ISTPs, you share an MBTI type with the goddamn Batman. If we get invaded by aliens I would have absolute and complete faith in an ISTP to save us all.

MBTI
    INTP

Hahaha yes, if you think about it, Batman -slash- Bruce Wayne does fit many of the ISTP stereotypes. Although I doubt Batman could save us from aliens.

Regarding D&D versus WoW, you both should try playing Neverwinter Nights. It's a MMO video game based on AD&D, and quite addictive.

Regarding your problem, I think he simply hasn't warmed up yet. Give him a little time. Either he'll become an integrated and valued member of your group, or he'll move out and you'll never hear from him again. Just be yourself, let him be himself, and I think the former will be more likely than the latter.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur
    Regarding D&D versus WoW, you both should try playing Neverwinter Nights. It's a MMO video game based on AD&D, and quite addictive.
    No you. Two of my friends were addicted to Neverwinter Nights, not very healthy.

WoW on the other hand is a very healthy life choice. As long as you maintain a life outside of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brouhaha View Post
    No you. Two of my friends were addicted to Neverwinter Nights, not very healthy.

WoW on the other hand is a very healthy life choice. As long as you maintain a life outside of it.
    but they are all pretty addicting right :P

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lukepd View Post
    but they are all pretty addicting right :P
    Oh, don't even get me started. To be honest most MMOs are alright. The only bad one is EVE. Pretty much you're paying a monthly fee to have a second job.

MBTI
    eSTP
    Socionics
    eSTp

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    It's called a "joke", Rhino.

Besides, how could you uh-huh-roll your eyes when Miller is killing himself and me at the same time?
    How could someone not uh-huh-roll their eyes at that kind of spectacle?

ISTPs usually have a selection of friends who share their love of particular hobbies and pasttimes. They might have a friend who they ski with, and another who they shoot pool with, etc. They generally have no interest or patience with individuals who do not share their interests, and will spend little or no time with them. They have a difficult time understanding people with extremely strong iNtuitive preferences, and are not likely to spend time with these individuals unless they share a common interest or hobby. They enjoy spending time with Extraverts, whose enthusiastic, talkative natures are attractive to the more reserved ISTP, but they will eventually tire of their "bubbliness". The ISTP is able to get along well with people of any personality type, but is likely to value and bond only those with whom they have common interests.
    According to the above, the lack of common interests is probably the entire issue. Although, if you asked him, he wouldn't even classify it as an issue at all, lol! Simply a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Army View Post
    Hmmm, he does think I smoke too much. I've been theorising that maybe he has begun to realise how deeply I dislike his girlfriend. Though, hilariously, he seems to be on my side about this. But it makes conversations uncomfortable because the major thing we have in common is her and neither of us like her very much anymore. I have asked him about his interests and they appear to stop at bodybuilding and World of Warcraft. I tried to understand the WoW thing because I play D and D but he thinks all D and D players are incredibly lame and should upgrade to WoW. Then the conversation is over.
    He's troubleshooting you. How interesting. He's probably fairly neutral towards you if he's even bothering. He might even find you fairly tolerable, for a bubbly Extrovert.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    *giggles* Again with the troubleshooting.
    Power is the virtue that makes all other virtues possible.
    Youtube - Oversensitive Witches
    Scary Bedtime Prayer