• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] uses of type, and why I'm leaving

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
*nibbles on Toonia with some peach jam*

I find that eloquence tastes better with apple butter, myself :)

But in all seriousness, I agree with everything that you (and Toonia) said. Thoughtless type-bashing makes me angry, too, especially since so much of it is aimed at SJs. I actually made an account on this site as a way to fight the same battle that you were fighting (though not so eloquently as you), until I realized that it's a hopeless battle. No matter how logical you were, and no matter how true your point, people just ignored it. Same with me. That's why I try to ignore SJ-bashing now (not that it always works).

I feel like you may have overreacted by simply quitting posting altogether (why not post in the areas of the site that don't involve type-bashing?), but I completely understand, and respect, your decision. Even if you feel like you haven't made a difference here, you have. Thanks for being here. :hug:

ygolo

My termites win
Please stay. Your inputs are valuable.

You probably wont change sterotypes on a forum that is always changing members.

Still, its important to for people to be informed. You do this better than most.

anainani

MBTI Type
isfp
No, no, please don't. We can't afford to lose any more SP members!

If you go, people will just keep believing the stereotypes unhindered. If they see how you actually are by your presence on the forum, that alone will make them question the stereotypes. Without actual SPs, people will be totally free to wallow in their distorted perceptions unchecked. Surely that isn't what you want to happen?

I dunno, and to be honest, it's not my calling to teach people on an internet forum. Just not my thing.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I dunno, and to be honest, it's not my calling to teach people on an internet forum. Just not my thing.

I wasn't asking you to teach people anything, I was asking you not to leave.

S

Sniffles

Damn that sucks, I really enjoyed your presence here sarah. Godspeed to you! :(

anainani

MBTI Type
isfp
I wasn't asking you to teach people anything, I was asking you not to leave.
Thanks, Athenian. :)
I wasn't implying that you asked me to teach people, those were just my own thoughts on this whole dilly.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
If being in this environment upsets or frustrates you because of the attitudes of others than as much as I'm sorry to see you go it's prolly for the best, places like this shouldn't be a cause of stress. I've enjoyed your presence Sarah, best of luck :)

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I like to take the time to apologize for any unfair generalization I have done since I've joined this forum. I forget sometimes there are people behind those letters here, who's individual differences may not reflect my personal experience.

I forget sometimes too. So I second Pheonix's apology for any misconceptions created about certain types. ISTJs have been awesome in our ENFP thread by the way. Provide much playful amusement.

I want to say also, that though I didn't post in a huge amount of threads that Sarah did, she was one of my favourite members on here. So true to things and honest. And though she doesn't really like type generalisations, I adore her type because of it. Made a mere ENFP feel like a fraud.

iwakar

crush the fences
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Good Luck

Departure usually "arrives" when you got what you came for.

:hi:

(I hope this is the case rather than not contemplating what you came for.)

nolla

Senor Membrane
MBTI Type
INFP
(why not post in the areas of the site that don't involve type-bashing?)

Or, you could just have a signature that says something like "I don't comment on anything that I see as type bashing" with really big letters. Then you could just ignore them with no need to explain.

But, yeah, I am not happy to see anyone leave, but as someone said, it's better to leave than stress about this. I hope to see you come back with lots of SP friends :) We really need to balance the scales.

And, about the type bashing. I think it serves a purpose in a way. When the people are hurt IRL by certain people, they come here, complain and their frustration lessens. More importantly, if they really have been in a situation that involves type conflict they might come to understand the type they had clashed with. Of course, usually it isn't easy to say if something is type related or not, but at least here we have a frame and vocabulary for this kind of discussion. Something that you can't find in many places. I mean, on other forums you try to say that you clash with ENFPs and you need to say something like "I really have hard time relating to sociable, value driven, laid back people" :D

EDIT: Oh, and if anyone feels like I have bashed their type, it is usually just humor, because I find some of these stereotypes hilarious. If it wasn't humor, I'm sorry and I hope next time it happens someone explains to me that the people are not their type.

(This will make a nice quote to throw at me when I am bashing your type) :devil:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
This probably isn't the best place for this, but I feel like I ought to at least explain myself, since I've been asked to...

It's not just that it's a new year, and at this time I always feel the need to make some changes that I think will help me accomplish my goals and give me time to do things I really want to do. Although that may be part of it. I'm simply not enamored of the way many people use psychological type, and am no longer interested in logging in every day to read complaints and generalizations which have no substance behind them, and I've noticed that responding to these posts mostly only gets me damned as being politically correct or oversensitive. It's a shame that being fair, honest and sensitive to how type is used is thought by many to be a detriment rather than an asset.

I believe it's true that you catch more flies with honey, and maybe I haven't been diplomatic enough in this forum. I admit I do have a quick temper, (although it dissipates pretty fast) and I also admit that I have a hard time suffering fools gladly. I think in this instance, the people I don't care to have anything more to do with are those who have chosen to use pscyhological type as a weapon to bash "types" of people who have hurt them in the past (and they're quick to label whole types as being a problem, never just individuals), or people who would rather complain about their relationships or communication problems than actually take steps to make things better.

I passionately believe that the only positive way of using type is to see it as a tool that informs you as to the best way to ask the right kinds of questions, and also frame people's responses in a positive way. It also seems obvious that most of what's labeled as type-related really isn't. Your ex-boyfriends' messy habits, your bosses lack of thoughtfulness, your best friends' flightiness, your mother's bossiness, etc., is probably related more to what they grew up with and what's going on in their individual lives, not their "type code". I suspect most of what people like to believe is type-related is actually just the result of individuals we know having lived at a certain time, in a certain place, under certain circumstances, and that if type had anything to do with the expression of these behavior traits, it influenced the motives behind the expression of them, not the behavior itself. Yes, I believe there are observable patterns of behavior and that this is to some degree related to type (as Keirsey would say), but patterns that relate to temperament are not the same thing as patterns of contextual behavior. It seems to me that the more you actually learn and understand about type, the less you see it as being about labeling contextual behavior, and the more you begin to understand what's meant by the core needs and values that drive people, and the better you can understand that each set of needs and values are valuable, good, and worth including people of each type in your life as much as possible, because diversity is good.

I'm done reading forum posts for the reasons I mentioned, but I wanted to say I've really enjoyed some of the conversations I've had here, and that I really would rather just privately use type in a way that I feel is positive rather than log in every day to see the same old gripes related to contextual behavior being linked to type codes. Anyone who feels like talking with me about type is welcome to send me a PM (I'll get email notification of it) and I will gladly respond, as I've enjoyed meeting a number of people here. :)

(I will not, however, be responding to anyone who just wants to start a fight or diss me for being politically correct.)

It's well thought out, and written, but it strongly smacks of short term frustration.. something got to you, and you threw the toys away - rather than a long term change of opinion.

Now, I may be wrong, but most times I see a post like that, within a month or two, the poster is back. I wonder if this time it will be different (and if it is, best of luck to you).

Unique

Most SPs would see a forum like this, shake their heads, might even give a short chuckle at the ignorance of people then leave to actually rule the real world. :)

I honestly don't have time for ignorance anyway so anyone who has the "Ss are stupid" crusade going on I don't have time for.

Thats me, as for an SFP well... I wish people would take other peoples feelings into account...

It's not hard to turn "omg you guys do this thing I cant even get along with SPs LOL!?!?"

Into "I noticed someone who did this thing... is this something most SPs would do? or does it have something to do with this persons personal ethics? Thanks"

It never ceases to amaze me the things people come up with that apparently a whole type or temperament apparently do.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think a lot of us will :)

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I think a lot of us will :)
Yeah.

Some of these people she's talking about have little to say ( with exceptions here and there ) besides criticizing others. If they didn't have type as a club, they would pick some other tool or rationalized excuse.

There are others here who do "type bragging" more than "type bashing", and I think their motivation is more about "beating the bushes" to drum up some board activity/participation. They know that arguments generate more passion than consensus efforts, and so they do this sort of thing with what they assume ( I think ) are good intentions. They may even feel like a "roast" is a kind of compliment from them, as opposed to no attention, like in the old days when someone such as Don Rickles "roasts" Dean Martin. ( Some of you may be too young to even know who these guys are, but I can't think of any good contemporary examples, at the moment. )

Jae Rae

Free-Rangin' Librarian
MBTI Type
INFJ
This probably isn't the best place for this, but I feel like I ought to at least explain myself, since I've been asked to...

It's not just that it's a new year, and at this time I always feel the need to make some changes that I think will help me accomplish my goals and give me time to do things I really want to do. Although that may be part of it. I'm simply not enamored of the way many people use psychological type, and am no longer interested in logging in every day to read complaints and generalizations which have no substance behind them, and I've noticed that responding to these posts mostly only gets me damned as being politically correct or oversensitive. It's a shame that being fair, honest and sensitive to how type is used is thought by many to be a detriment rather than an asset...

Excellent post, brave and true. Thought-provoking and consciousness-raising. I'm sorry to see Sarah go.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
You're welcome, Pink.
Care for some Earl Gray with honey and lemon???
Or do you prefer sugar and cream???
Another... um... meat pie, courtesy of ummm.... Sweeny Todd, the Demon Barber of Fleet Street???:cheese::nice:

Why thank you! Tea is a superb digestive! :D *urp*

proteanmix

Plumage and Moult
Enneagram
1w2
Sarah, between being a possible ESFJ (THE MOST HATED TYPE ON THE FORUM) or an ENFJ (THE FOURTH MOST HATED TYPE ON THE FORUM) I will say that thick skin and ignoring the ignant fools who perpetuate bullshit is the best way to enjoy your forum experience. If you must leave, then you must leave, but I would love to see you pop in every now and again. :) I've never found your posts oversensitive or overreactive even when people have tried to make you feel as if you're overreacting when crusading against a real bias.

And also I always think to myself, "who are the people who post here?" Like literally whenever I read the garbage posts and theories people pass around like cheap liquor I just keep that thought in my head about who such and such could really be behind the screen to need to say the BS they say to make themselves feel better. And then it just makes me more sad for them than actually mad at them, ya know?

Till we meet again. :hug:

A Schnitzel

WTF is this dude saying?
MBTI Type
INTP
Sarah, between being a possible ESFJ (THE MOST HATED TYPE ON THE FORUM) or an ENFJ (THE FOURTH MOST HATED TYPE ON THE FORUM)

Do you have a ranking system? Because that would be awesome!
It'd also be cool to rank type popularity by gender.