User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 188

  1. #71
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    ...But If you want to rant about all XXXXs because your older sister might be one and you and she always hated each other, be aware that everyone reading it is going to apply your definitions and descriptions to their understanding of what it means to be an XXXX, which means if most of whats said is negative, who is going to want to identify with that type, or notice type XXXX preferences in people who arent as bad as you claim they all are? I could be wrong, but I think this is the main reason people mistype themselves and others...
    I noticed recently that I've done the bolded part in some cases. I've sat there wondering what type a person in my life might be, and didn't really consider certain types because, subconsciously, they didn't identify with what I'd heard about that type. So I had to step back and review what that type really means, and think of the possibilities of its appearance--positive, negative, and in between. Some perspective always seems useful.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  2. #72
    Senior Member Kestrel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    138

    Default

    I will certainly be sad to see Sarah go.

    But I have seen the recurring type bias over and over. I'll be honest though, I too had initial biases against some types thinking, "that jerk at work MUST be an XXXX, he fits the profile perfectly!"

    Lately, I've wondered how anyone can really know they're typing anyone correctly. It took me like a week or more to figure out my type.

    I can pretty easily tell if someone is I or E, but beyond that.. I guess the J vs. P is also not *that* difficult to decipher with some observational methods. But, I have found no real way to definitively tell if someone is a T vs F or a S vs N through observation.

    You really need to go inside their mind or talk to the person in depth about their preferences to be sure about those distinctions. Saying "that person is really dispassionate so they must be a T. Or that person's a great athlete, so they're an S." This doesn't work.

    Also another thing has been bothering me. How can anyone know they're typing an unhealthy person properly? All of the type profiles seem to fit a "healthy individual" - but I have a feeling when someone breaks down due to outward stress, they're not going to fit the profile anymore.

    So that SP guy that's annoying you at work? He might just be an unhealthy NF.
    I-44 N-88 F-62 J-67

    A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

  3. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ?
    Posts
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Also another thing has been bothering me. How can anyone know they're typing an unhealthy person properly? All of the type profiles seem to fit a "healthy individual" - but I have a feeling when someone breaks down due to outward stress, they're not going to fit the profile anymore.
    Yea, thats something I agree with to, its not easy to type someone who is stressed since they will seem a mixture of their real personality and their shadow. Also a lot care needs to be taken due to, people acting different to type, aswell due to other factors developing their other cognitive processes. So the most prudent way is to judge after a long time and even then it should be used only as a general pointer. People should be viewed as individually unique before MBTI.

  4. #74
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    So that SP guy that's annoying you at work? He might just be an unhealthy NF.
    Or he might just be an annoying SP. There are lots of annoying people of every type! If you think every SP is annoying however, the problem lies in the eye of the beholder, not the other way around.

    Type problems are largely projections. The central use for type is to help you communicate with others, to understand how you can reach out to them and help them understand you. The worst situation is typecasting, where we use type to put up walls around people rather than to help break them down.

  5. #75
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Or he might just be an annoying SP. There are lots of annoying people of every type! If you think every SP is annoying however, the problem lies in the eye of the beholder, not the other way around.

    Type problems are largely projections. The central use for type is to help you communicate with others, to understand how you can reach out to them and help them understand you. The worst situation is typecasting, where we use type to put up walls around people rather than to help break them down.
    Which is why the forums have become so boring and unproductive for me personally. If people who claim to know about type cannot get beyond this, then what's the point of discussions? I am very understanding of Sarah's reasoning and frankly find it no surprise for anyone wanting to finally get a life once they have determined the basic principles of type and are comfortable with knowing their best fit type.

  6. #76
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    What makes this thread beyond awesome: seeing how the different types respond.

  7. #77
    ✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    What makes this thread beyond awesome: seeing how the different types respond.
    eh. i wouldn't call it "beyond awesome" by any means. more like a mixture of validation and information.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥


    Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

  8. #78
    Member anainani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    isfp
    Posts
    65

    Default

    One of the reasons my husband hates typing people or categorizing people in any way is because, as a special ed. teacher, hes seen the downside of what happens to peoples self esteem as a result of negative labeling. When people are identified with disorders or categories rather than respected as being whole human beings, or when they are called insulting names such as stupid or retard, it affects the way they treat both themselves and others. It also affects what they feel they are able to accomplish snap at a person for being stupid or bossy or unable to see the big picture enough times and they may start to think theres more entertainment value in proving you right rather than doing the difficult and work of trying to change your attitude about them (not to mention that some people take a perverse pleasure in needing to be right in their negative assessment of others, and wont look at any evidence that points otherwise than what they want to believe). The same applies to how we use type, and I guess Ive become really sensitive to that over the years, and this is why I cant just turn a blind eye to unfairness whenever I see it. And I cant tune it out either.
    Yes, Sarah, I think I'm going to take the same approach as your husband, and put typology aside, because I've gotten everything I need from it already.
    What gets my blood pumping is when people dismiss others just because they are different than them. And yes, those who say that they are too odd and "deep" and open minded, do it even more.
    Moreover, what gets my blood pumping faster is when I imagine that being done to kids. I'm a grown woman, matured and learned some things, but damn, when you're a kid it's tough. I'd be ready to break someone's nose if they'd tell a kid he's stupid because he doesn't think abstractly, or that he's a bad person because he doesn't base decisions on his values and feelings. I'm not saying people on this board have done it,I just imagine that being done in real life, and it's fucking moronic.
    And yes, what's the point in even having a discussion when you don't go beyond your stereotypes? Stereotypes are a part of life, and there's some truth in them sometimes, but it just pisses me off when people base their opinions entirely on them, or when they don't bother to get passed it.
    I'm all up for voicing opinions, and keeping it real, but don't be a fucking donkey.

  9. #79
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    eh. i wouldn't call it "beyond awesome" by any means. more like a mixture of validation and information.
    That's what makes it funny!

  10. #80
    Senior Member Sunshine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI
    Posts
    1,040

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    That's what makes it funny!
    waiiiittttt.....


    lol.

Similar Threads

  1. [NT] NTs, your favourite NT type and why?
    By JustHer in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 139
    Last Post: 06-11-2016, 10:30 PM
  2. [NT] High impact on society, reality tested, and heavy use of logic and symbolic math
    By ygolo in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-13-2008, 09:16 PM
  3. Deliberate use of type theory in fiction
    By Quinlan in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-13-2008, 09:35 AM
  4. Positive and Practical Uses of Type
    By ygolo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 08-24-2007, 03:25 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO