• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] uses of type, and why I'm leaving

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Even though it seemed kind of inevitable, you'll be missed Sarah, your posts are very insightful and articulate you've helped me understand my type a lot. Maybe if more of us were as outspoken as you then MBTI might have more use.

ThatsWhatHeSaid

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Man. You know the site is getting big when people you never heard of create dramatic goodbye threads. sarahwho?

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think she's the one who challenged us to ponder whether our type-related "harmless jokes" really were as funny as we thought.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The OP is written very well, like an essay. And well-constructed rhetoric always strikes me as manipulative. I much prefer "Screw you guys, I'm goming hoooome."

PeaceBaby

reborn
MBTI Type
N/A
Enneagram
N/A
INFPs got distracted from envisioning a better world by the ISFPs who persuaded them to go pick flowers with them near a far off cave and together they ended up doing the first cave paintings with what they hadn't realized was bat guano.

That made me laugh out loud, and I just had to tell you ...

ArchAngel

MBTI Type
INFJ
I didn't last a day here.

It is my belief that these fora bring out the very worst in people. They can be nastier, ruder, more impulsive, uglier, all without consequence. I had high hopes of doing some research here, and finding some personal answers and comraderie. On the very first day, I was subjected to repeated personal attack, simply because I phrased an observation about a group in a way that others disagreed with. By all means, disagree with what I say! By all means, take up a different position! By all means, correct me if you think I'm wrong!

But attack me personally? Mock me? Insult me?

I applaud all who last as long as they do in places like this, where such behaviors are indulged, when their goal is to learn and explore ...

ArchAngel

MBTI Type
INFJ
^ folks are just testing your mettle.

That's for high school. I'm done with mettle-testing; adults don't behave that way. Adults acquire some measure of courtesy and grace, which we all learn to display even in conflict.

Nothing excuses rudeness and insult, especially to newcomers. This sort of environment, where there are no consequences for ugly behavior, brings out the worst. It becomes easy to parse grown-up from pissy adolescent.

I'll continue to search the site for stories and inspiration useful in a project I'm working on --- but I don't care to offer ideas and discussion, only to be attacked and insulted.

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
People here are all types, even the irritating ones. If I remember you did say something rather controversial. It isn't a surprise that people questioned it.

I like INFJ even if all you do drive me crazies.

ArchAngel

MBTI Type
INFJ
NO. There is a HUGE difference between questioning what I say, which is perfectly fair, and insulting me personally.

If I say something controversial, BY ALL MEANS challenge what I say. BY ALL MEANS, disagree with me.

But mock me personally? Ridicule me personally? That is not the reaction of an adult.

Places like this bring out our worst behaviors. People say and do hurtful, destructive things that they would never do (one would hope) in the real world.

IT IS WRONG, UNCONDITIONALLY, to attack someone personally because they state a premise with which you disagree.

ArchAngel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Really?

The adults you know must not be representative of the norm.

Yes, I definitely think my definition of 'adult' differs from the 'norm.'

I know a fair number of adults --- but not a large number. And fewer on the Internet, where people tend to set aside their best behavior.

V

violaine

NO. There is a HUGE difference between questioning what I say, which is perfectly fair, and insulting me personally.

If I say something controversial, BY ALL MEANS challenge what I say. BY ALL MEANS, disagree with me.

But mock me personally? Ridicule me personally? That is not the reaction of an adult.

Places like this bring out our worst behaviors. People say and do hurtful, destructive things that they would never do (one would hope) in the real world.

IT IS WRONG, UNCONDITIONALLY, to attack someone personally because they state a premise with which you disagree.

But this is certainly the reaction of some adults.... everywhere. *shrug* A few members were also quite interested in your POV too. idk, why not just focus on that if you are interested in digging into things here? I have never been in any forum where a bit of personal insult doesn't come into things. If I were you I would let it roll off my back a little. (/unsolicited advice) I think a person either has that mindset or does not. In any case, I was definitely curious about your relationship with your twin sister.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

MBTI Type
INFJ
But this is certainly the reaction of some adults.... everywhere. *shrug* Quite a few members were also quite interested in your POV too. idk, why not just focus on that if you are interested in digging into things here? I have never been in any forum where a bit of personal insult doesn't come into things. If I were you I would let it roll of my back a little. (/unsolicited advice) I think a person either has that mindset or does not. In any case, I was definitely curious about your relationship with your twin sister.

I appreciate it. I do spend quite a bit of time and energy and thought (and love) on my INFJ twin, and it is one of the primary focuses of my life. I don't know what will happen with the two of us, but I intend to see it thru either way.

But I don't have time to spare with rude arrested adolescents. I seek cyber-communities where I am free to interact, debate, agree/disagree without the time-wasting and negative energy of personal attack, which is the reflex of those who really can't wrestle with ideas seriously. Don't get me wrong, the phenomenon of what the Internet does to our personalities is of both professional and personal interest (my research partner and I just published a chapter on the subject in a new volume on emerging social ontologies online); but it takes time and energy to cope with the distraction of those who must throw spitballs, and I don't have either to spare. I have a seminar to write, and a relationship to build ...

I do thank you for your comments ... I really do appreciate what you are saying!

V

violaine

^Ok, cool. (Hmm I know you've seen the NF private forum just for NFs, lol, it is fairly conflict free ;)) All the best to you though :)

ArchAngel

MBTI Type
INFJ
^ you're still here though. :huh:

I've openly stated that I intend to remain a member and to gather interesting and useful stories and insight for my work. And, I hope (in my heart of hearts) some useful clues for navigating my relationship with my INFJ woman, which I feel is really important no matter which direction it goes.

I don't know how to navigate adolescent behaviors in cyber-communities without wasting tremendous amounts of time; if I did, I would happily continue to participate here and enjoy those members who really want to dig into ideas and share their stories, without the spitballs. I've done this before, a number of times, and it usually ends up being time I should have invested elsewhere. I don't want that to be the case here; but I don't know how to make it work, if the environment is unpoliced.

ArchAngel

MBTI Type
INFJ
^Ok, cool. (Hmm I know you've seen the NF private forum just for NFs, lol, it is fairly conflict free ;)) All the best to you though :)

Thanks --- I guess I hadn't thought of that. I should give that a try, it might be a useful compromise. I appreciate the suggestion, sanveane!

Misty_Mountain_Rose

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
ArchAngel,

I completely missed out on the thread earlier, and re-reading through some of it two things strike me.

1. You probably jumped in on the topic most likely to cause conflict that I've seen recently.
2. You are surrounded by NTs who LOVE a good argument.

Most of the people on here are used to seeing each others posts all the time, and they know the personalities of the people that are responding in the thread. Being new its difficult for you to know when those people are serious, when they are joking, and whether or not they always act the way they have acted.

I can tell by reading your posts that the topic that brought so much issue is one that is something you take seriously, and unfortunately you jumped into it without knowing what you'd be up against.

I think if you were to stay you would find that many here are very open to learning (some aren't) and can have reasonable and calm debates.

Sorry your first experiences here were not good.