User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 21

  1. #11
    Senior Member "?"'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    TiSe
    Posts
    1,167

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by me_plus_one View Post
    I don't think that type should tell anyone what career to follow. I think it's more importantto follow your heart. And besides, there are only 16 types. All the careers in the world cannot be divided just between 16 types.

    Basically, I believe that you can be successful in any career, no matter your type.

    I don't know if my post is of any relevance to this topic, however that's what I had to say.
    I agree as long as you are not implying that these descriptions do that. If so, you may want to read them again. However you are right, type should not predict alot of things that it does, like being intelligent, being emotional, being mechanical, being the best fit for another type. I could go on and on.

  2. #12
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    I have worked since the age of 8 (raking leaves in neighborhood, washing cars, mowing lawns) and since the age of 15 for employers; I am now 35.
    In that time I have worked at a :

    (1) Domino's Pizza
    (2) Steakhouse as a cashier
    (3) Pet store as a clerk
    (4) Optical shop as a sales person and optician
    (5) Valet
    (6) Personal Trainer at a Gym
    (7) IT trainer/instructor
    (8) Junior Applications Developer
    (9) Systems Engineer
    (10) Software Sales Representative
    (11) Project Engineer for a Real Estate Developer
    (12) IT Business Analyst
    (13) Project Manager
    (14) Senior Database Analyst (Public Health Care Rate Calculations / Contract Manager)

    I see truth to the OP with regard to the fact that the only jobs I have ENJOYED were those that I had an opportunity to work with and through people to make my living while accomplishing their objectives.

    Anytime I have been forced to sit and not be creative and be isolated from figuring out what's going on and solving problems that I know nothing about via implementing my people skills and on the fly analytical abilty I have been MISERABLE and left.

    I am not on a schedule. I'm supposed to be 9-5 but my hours vary from 6-2 through 11-7 (THANK GOD) because of grad school, kids, and all other mandates that I am accountable to.

    I would LOVE to get into sales again knowing what I know about ME in addition to knowing what I know about business, technology, and health care.

    Do not limit me, do not tell me how to do what you wish me to do, do not constrain me to a meaningless list of recurring duties; I WILL LEAVE.

    There is much truth to what I have read, but as all other humans, I have had to sacrifice my innate desires in order to maintain the obligations/duties of my life that are just as important if not more than my own self actualization in an occupational capacity at any given point in time.


  3. #13
    Senior Member riel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by me_plus_one View Post
    I don't think that type should tell anyone what career to follow. I think it's more importantto follow your heart. And besides, there are only 16 types. All the careers in the world cannot be divided just between 16 types.

    Basically, I believe that you can be successful in any career, no matter your type.

    I don't know if my post is of any relevance to this topic, however that's what I had to say.
    I agree with that. My mom is an ISFJ and one of the careers stated for her personality type is being a nurse. However, my mom likes chemical engineering(even though she's a headnurse right now and really doing great at her job in all aspects)and would recount her engineering days with a lilt in her voice and with glowing eyes. But the reason why she became a nurse was because she can no longer stand her mom(my grandmother)belittling her ability in chemical engineering(though my mom did good to pass and was enjoying her engineering course). Right now, she's 40 and preparing to migrate to the US to work..but she confessed to me that she was apprehensive about it because it was so tiring and blah3x but I think the real reason is she doesn't have enough heart to continue being a nurse, however NOBLE it is.

    I feel sorry for my mom, and would want her to continue her engineering studies(she may have to start again from 1st year because that was more than 20 yrs. ago and much has changed since in engineering like the incorporation of technology). However, I think our family(except me, of course)would object if ever my mom would decide to go back to school and get her chemical engineering degree for the reason that being a nurse in the US has a higher salary than being a chemical engineer in the Philippines.
    I'm a Phlegmatic-Melancholy.

  4. #14
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    I have to say no on this one. I work with a bunch of estps-who are awesome at sales, customer interactions, contract negotiations and tactical marketing-much better that I could ever be at this stuff. Where everything falls apart is that they dont have N to see into the future and so dont do well when placed in positions that require strategic, very long term thinking. They freeze up and request more and more data but cant make a decision, as they cant see the implications in a year from now.

    They also are not so good at unerstanding the audiance we market to and becoming adaptable to that marketplace-as my market is almost all NTs.

    Some days they make me drink.

  5. #15
    Member Kimchitasi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    MBTI
    N
    Enneagram
    4
    Posts
    46

    Default

    This is very ignorant. Every type has its strengths and within that each person of each type has her/her indvidual strengths. I do not think certain types are good at more job opportunities then others.

  6. #16
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kimchitasi View Post
    This is very ignorant.
    i'm never gonna go the route of prescribing jobs based on type, but there's no denying there are correlations in terms of what people of certain types and temperaments gravitate to.

    most INFPs will agree that they would prefer not to be military officials; most ESTJs will agree they would rather not be poets. of course there are exceptions, though, and there is no reason either of them cannot enter those professions. they may actually end up being very successful because of their unconventional thinking.


    i also think there is a significant difference between successful and happy.

    i am sure most SPs could be successful at anything they put their mind to. i am more curious, would they be happy?

    though that may end up having to do more with personal values and experiences than type.

  7. #17
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Environment.

    ENTPs underachieve because they often try to squeeze into work or school environments that are poorly suited for them.
    ESTPs do this too sometimes, belive me, it's true.
    I am an ESTP 7w8, and one of my best friends ever is an ENTP 8w7.
    Together we are hell on wheels, and can unite in purpose and mow over any numbe of people needed to get what we need done.
    But, both of us have quirks/inconsistencies that at times get in the way of our full potential...but not too frequently!

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    If you look at great ENTP achievers, from DaVinci to Churchill to Thomas Edison, they all worked odd hours and did their best when they organized what they had to around their energy levels, not the clock.
    A busy techie or analyst of ANY MBTI type can do this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    ENTPs must have change to succeed. If they can't create it in their current jobs, they have to find a new one, which is why we're always job hopping if we're not entrepreneurs. If they force the issue and try to stay in one place too long in order to look better on a resume, they'll massively underachieve, because their innovative skills will go into hibernation, and will be replaced with whatever organization skills are left, which are usually pretty thin.
    I agree with this somewhat, based on the few ENTPs I know first hand, IRL. But, they are damn good at formulating the high-level stuff.
    The one thing I've noticed about ENTPs I know is that they are able to weave bullshit out of buzzwords, but when it comes time to knit it all together, they need help.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    ESTPs must feel important to succeed. So if you promote them enough, and don't force them to make future commitments (they hate those), they'll stay at one company forever.
    Not true. We like things to be awarded by merit, and political ass-kissing is not a act of merritt.
    We feel important EVERYDAY because we love ourselves, and quite frankly, don't give a damn what others think.
    Future commitments are fine with us, if we are given the liberty to accompliosh them as we wish.
    Just don't micromanage us, we'll tell you to go jump in a lake.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    And they're usually very successful. While our C-level execs are mostly NTs, many of our VPs are ESTPs, who have leapfrogged over Harvard and Stanford-educated engineers who don't have their communication skills.
    We talk the talk, and walk the walk, yes, this is true.
    ENTPs can make it to the top too if they just focus.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    While I've seen many ENTPs underachieve, only time I've seen ESTPs underachieve is when they try to be entrepreneurs.
    Overgeneralization with no basis in fact. Denied.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    Just as 9-5 is the wrong environment for ENTPs, a startup with a limited operating history is the wrong environment for ESTPs. While ESTPs are just as good as ENTPs at understanding technology, they never come up with the wildly creative product or marketing ideas that really get a small company going. They also hate applying an unconventional marketing idea if they don't feel it's been validated by someone else's experience. But this is exactly what most successful startups do.
    Again, I disagree. I am the #1 "Idea Man" in my Agency, and have been so very regularly in my past 3 jobs.
    I get shit done.

    Give us some free time and you will see. :-)

    -Alex
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  8. #18
    Aquaria mrcockburn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    MBTI
    ¥¤
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so
    Posts
    1,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Tufnel View Post
    While I've seen many ENTPs underachieve, only time I've seen ESTPs underachieve is when they try to be entrepreneurs. Just as 9-5 is the wrong environment for ENTPs, a startup with a limited operating history is the wrong environment for ESTPs. While ESTPs are just as good as ENTPs at understanding technology, they never come up with the wildly creative product or marketing ideas that really get a small company going. They also hate applying an unconventional marketing idea if they don't feel it's been validated by someone else's experience. But this is exactly what most successful startups do.
    Never say never.

    I'm an ESTP who has a startup that results in a near-six figure income. And I'm a 21 year old college student.

    Se has creativity - and moreover, I have the drive to follow through.
    3w4-9w1-?w6 (nearly headless nick)
    sp/so
    Lawful Evil

    COCKBURN:

    http://sundrytimes.files.wordpress.c...tomic-bomb.jpg


  9. #19
    Senior Member ICUP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Posts
    1,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post

    i also think there is a significant difference between successful and happy.

    i am sure most SPs could be successful at anything they put their mind to. i am more curious, would they be happy?
    True. I also thought of "success" and what that means. Each person's definition of success is different.

    I think I define success by achieving a place where I am using all of my talents effectively, there is growth, I am financially stable, and I am happy. If one of these is missing, I'm not successful. Therefore, I suppose I can't be successful in any career, and certainly not in any environment.

    LoL... I've seen ESTP's underachieve....... it happens with all types, unfortunately.
    ISTP 6w5 sx/sp
    6-8-4/6-9-4 Tritype

  10. #20
    Senior Member INTPness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    2,158

    Default

    Not wanting to be micromanaged, wanting to figure things out on your own, be creative, improvise, work various hours, not liking routine, enjoying change, etc: These are all "P" things. P's don't like structure.
    NTJ's are the only types that have ever made me feel emo.
    ENP's are the only types that have ever made me feel like a sensor.


    There are two great days in a person's life - the day we are born and the day we discover why. --William Barclay

Similar Threads

  1. [ENFP] Why an ENFP would be successful in the military.
    By kyuuei in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-11-2017, 02:33 PM
  2. Only one function can be in control of consciousness at a time
    By highlander in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 12-04-2010, 04:38 AM
  3. if you could be in any band...
    By r.a in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 07-24-2009, 03:11 AM
  4. "Success" in a career--What does it mean to you?
    By ygolo in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-25-2008, 02:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO