• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[SP] SP's under stress

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
The reason I try to avoid keeping alcohol around. I'm not good at moderation when stressed, so keeping it away from me works well, as otherwise I'd be like the ISTPs you know. (I've also done other insane things when "stressed-out", like ski non-stop for 13 hours).
OH GOD I WASN'T EVEN THINKING ABOUT ALCOHOL UNTIL YOU BROUGHT IT UP *jones*

anainani

MBTI Type
isfp
- The 2 ISTPs in my life tend to overindulge in alcohol when stressed to the point where it became an issue of chronic chemical dependency.

Yea. Same with the 2 ISTP's I know. They're awesome, but when there's alchy, they kind of explode. Not necessarily just with anger.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
The 2 ISTPs in my life tend to overindulge in alcohol when stressed to the point where it became an issue of chronic chemical dependency.

Yea. Same with the 2 ISTP's I know. They're awesome, but when there's alchy, they kind of explode. Not necessarily just with anger.

interesting... ive never felt drawn to alcohol as a solution to depression or sadness. it's been a while since i felt depressed but from what i remember, i tend to sleep a lot more and avoid responsibilities

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I get out the house and clear my head.

Me too. I feel this need to start walking around for the sake of walking. I get very emotional and need to be alone, lest I do stuff I later regret (usually involving crying and getting overly dramatic. :blush: )

Sarah

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
When my SP son was young he was given to explosive tantrums. Very low frustration tolerance. A counselor told him when he was angry with us he should go out and walk around the block a couple of times.

During a family argument he suddenly left the house.

I looked out to see him walking down the sidewalk.

And carefully stepping on EVERY crack in the concrete. Hah!

And yes, he came back and reported that he felt much better.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I know that I have posted these somewhere on this forum:
When ESTPs are under stress, they can lose their sense of humor and become quite sarcastic. Others become disorganized, forget things, and lose their drive and ambition. Some ESTPs isolate themselves from others, feeling as if no one cares about them. They can appear to think only about themselves, or become passive-aggressive, or extremely competitive. Some ESTPs can try to use their intuition and figure out what’s going on, but they often draw the wrong conclusions when stressed. Still others try to overcome stressful feelings by staying in constant motion or action, without considering what it is they are doing.

Things that can cause stress to erupt for ESTPs include having their trustworthiness or abilities challenged. Feeling penned in, with no possibility to act independently or make changes can be stressful for many ESTPs. If people accuse them of not putting in enough effort on a project, some ESTPs can feel misunderstood and resentful. Likewise, when others accuse them of lacking commitment or wanting to play instead of taking care of their responsibilities, ESTPs can feel stressed.
ESFPs under stress might feel intimidated, become blunt, be hyperactive, too talkative, and disturbing to others. Others become overwhelmed by negative possibilities, while some turn overly sensitive. They might personalize comments by others, or misattribute meanings to events. Still others can become overly emotional, full of guilt, or lose their joy for life.

Stress for ESFPs can be caused by a number of factors, such as being told they can't do something. If they feel they are being fenced in or forced to do something they dislike in a rush, stress can result. If their values are not respected, they can feel stress, even if their values are not known to the rest of the group. Finally, ESFPs dislike people who misinterpret their desire to have fun as a lack of respect for serious issues.
There are common signs that an ISTP is feeling stress. For example, they might become sarcastic instead of simply critical, they sometimes act in a passive-aggressive manner, they might have explosive outbursts, or have great trouble setting priorities. Others become lost in their own, private inner world, and completely withdraw from interacting with other people. Some ISTPs try to force the facts to fit their logical view of the world, even when they know it's impossible. Finally, some stressed ISTPs will simply become inactive and do nothing.

Some factors that can cause ISTPs to experience stress include people who take issues too personally, when they feel they are being treated unfairly or illogically, or when common sense and logic are ignored and a problem results. This is even harder if the ISTP has been trying to help others to see the correct way to solve the issue. If ISTPs are pressured into making quick decisions without time to reflect on what’s important or logical, they can feel stressed.
ISFPs complain about being unappreciated, or when they become very self-critical, and even more so when they become critical of others. They might act as if they need to solve the world's problems. They can focus only on the negative, seeing the bleakest outcome in any possible solution. Many ISFPs isolate themselves from others, even family and friends. Confusion can surround them, so they lose their easy-going ways.

ISFPs can feel this stress when they are given inadequate time to discuss important issues before making a decision. Other events that trigger stress include being told they cannot do something, or feeling like they are boxed in, whether by colleagues or by a situation. If others disrespect the ISFP's values, he or she can feel stress. ISFPs can struggle with balancing personal freedom with being connected with others. If the balance shifts too far in either direction, stress can result.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
LOLOL true
One thing that I have always considered is that when ESTPs isolate themselves from others, can that go on for extended periods causing them to mistype as introverts? Even when healthy and not under stress, ESTPs have some traits that could be considered introverted such as doing to talking, not liking change for it's own sake, being able to tone it down from non-verbal cues, being comfortable working in groups or autonomously. All of these things, in addition to some of the ESTP descriptions just fitting me well, always makes me wonder when it comes to my own type.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(Reads type description posted) Geez. Sometimes I feel like whoever's writing about these ESFP's are following me around and observing my every move and taking notes and then posting it online under the ESFP description. (looks around for video cameras in my room)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
(Reads type description posted) Geez. Sometimes I feel like whoever's writing about these ESFP's are following me around and observing my every move and taking notes and then posting it online under the ESFP description. (looks around for video cameras in my room)
The statement, "ESFPs dislike people who misinterpret their desire to have fun as a lack of respect for serious issues" is definitely something that is observed on the forums.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The statement, "ESFPs dislike people who misinterpret their desire to have fun as a lack of respect for serious issues" is definitely something that is observed on the forums.

Accurately so :(

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
Me, too.
I do the same thing... I don't really need to be alone so much as other people don't really need to have to put up with me. I am very theatrical when I'm under stress, and I can't hide my feelings at all. Quiet and reserved don't exist in the world of me.

Me too. I feel this need to start walking around for the sake of walking. I get very emotional and need to be alone, lest I do stuff I later regret (usually involving crying and getting overly dramatic. :blush: )

Sarah

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
anii said:
In my observation:...
- The ISFPs internalize everything, only they don't complain so nobody knows something is wrong until they become physically ill.

My brother is a lowkey eSFP and this describes him pretty perfectly. He's very withdrawn in the face of most unpleasant emotions and bottles stress up until it manifests suddenly and psychosomatically. Usually throwing up and/or chills (often claiming "food poisoning" or "flu"), but once enough abdominal pain in the middle of the night to warrant a trip to the ER.

I don't drink so I can't attest to the anecdotal ISTP stress-drinking mentioned. Under stress, on the outside I *do* become more persnickity and sarcastic. :yes: Under extreme stress this usually culminates in outbursts over some small perceived wrong (usually an injustice).

On the inside I usually become plagued by doubt and fall into my bad old (OCD) habits and into thought and rethought and stress over imaginary emotional pains instead of action.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My brother is a lowkey eSFP and this describes him pretty perfectly. He's very withdrawn in the face of most unpleasant emotions and bottles stress up until it manifests suddenly and psychosomatically. Usually throwing up and/or chills (often claiming "food poisoning" or "flu"), but once enough abdominal pain in the middle of the night to warrant a trip to the ER.

I used to get sick from stress a lot.. Took me a long time to identify the symptoms as anxiety.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I put my head in the sand and pretend I have no problems.

Seriously Quin, I've seen pictures and stuff so you're prolly not but I have to ask anyway... Are you my sister :huh:

She does that until it affects her health and she has no choice but to deal with things, in the meantime she ignores it and talks to no one or if the topic comes up she downplays it significantly. Although something can be cause for great concern in her mind she doesn't want to bother anyone else and figures in the grand scheme of things it's just not important to others, that and she should be able to deal with things on her own.

Unique

One thing that I have always considered is that when ESTPs isolate themselves from others, can that go on for extended periods causing them to mistype as introverts? Even when healthy and not under stress, ESTPs have some traits that could be considered introverted such as doing to talking, not liking change for it's own sake, being able to tone it down from non-verbal cues, being comfortable working in groups or autonomously. All of these things, in addition to some of the ESTP descriptions just fitting me well, always makes me wonder when it comes to my own type.

Yes for sure, ESTPs are often accidently looked upon as introverted. Here's a quote from keirsey "Promoters understand well the maxim, "He who travels fastest, travels alone," although they are not likely to be lonely for long, since their boldness and sense of adventure tends to make them highly attractive to many other people."

Back in the early years of high school when I was going through a hard time I could of been seen as an introvert. There is no way the ISTP descriptions would of ever fit me at any time in my life though.

defragmybrain

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
i eat, and i find generalizations as to what stresses me out
and the problem lingers until i find a way to avoid or forget it, until it returns to me in ways worse than ever before

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Must...stop...staring...at....your.....avatar.

Same here. You can tell alot by looking at someones eyes when they smile. Her smile just seems so genuine and true. Her eyes lead to her heart and shows a very kind compassionate person.

I am ISTP and avoid alcohol at all costs. I dont like how it makes me feel. My brain slows down and that drives me nuts. From what I heard my dad used to be an angry alocoholic and has scars and skin grafts to prove it. Luckily he quit when I was really young so in my 28 years I have never seen the that side of him. Me and my dad are alot alike personality wise and I dont want to take any chances. When I get stressed I tend to hold it in until I blow up and it all comes out as emotions which is usually sad.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Seriously Quin, I've seen pictures and stuff so you're prolly not but I have to ask anyway... Are you my sister :huh:

Hah ummm *checks* nope, definitely not your sister.

She does that until it affects her health and she has no choice but to deal with things, in the meantime she ignores it and talks to no one or if the topic comes up she downplays it significantly. Although something can be cause for great concern in her mind she doesn't want to bother anyone else and figures in the grand scheme of things it's just not important to others, that and she should be able to deal with things on her own.

I can absolutely relate to all of that, sure it might not be healthy but it often feels like if I bother anyone else with my problems they (the problems) are going to feel 10 times worse because I'm affecting others and that's the last thing I want.