User Tag List

123 Last

ThatGirl

Default Teach me how to be an S.

This is not a sarcastic thread. I would like to get more in touch with my sensory capabilities. How would one beging to maintain focus over such things? Is it a nmeasure of mental strength?

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Look around you more? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just not sure what to say. All I can think of is just spend more time taking things in with your senses. Focus on something and pay attention to it without letting your mind drift. Touch a leaf. Talk more about real tangible things.

Or something. I'm bad at advice.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

ThatGirl

I'll try but it doesnt sound easy, thanks

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

um, Thatgirl.. I think it might be helpful to focus on one thing. Like, take a peice of fruit. Smell it, describe its smell, color, taste, texture. (sounds like homework, I know...) but i thnk it would be helpful in kind of understanding what its like to be a sensor.. we experience everything in this way.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Then you can do this with more and more things, until you are able to subconciously apply it to everything.

EASY!!!

Found this here

To experience Extraverted Sensation:
    Walk around downtown in a city during the day, when lots of people are around (even a small town will do). Note what gets your attention, and what kind of attention it gets. Just walk around and let things grab your attention. Don't be deliberate. See what's exciting and what's boring. If a place looks exciting, go inside. The second you feel bored, leave and look around for something new. Don't think about this, don't reflect on it as you're doing it, and don't think ahead. Just go with your immediate gut reaction moment by moment--enter or exit the store before you have a chance to entertain a second thought.
    Walk again, and this time note what's grabbing other people's attention. Where's the crowd?
    (An exercise for brave people.) At a party or a bar or some other gathering of people, attract as much attention as you can to yourself. Anything that works is acceptable: feigning a heart attack, dressing better than everyone else there, dressing in a different color than everyone else there, putting a lampshade over your head--whatever works (it doesn't have to be dramatic, though, especially if you're just testing this out). Keep one eye on how much attention you're getting, and what kind of attention. As you try this at different gatherings, practice getting specific kinds of attention: intrigue, fear, disgust, sexual, laughing at you, laughing with you, etc. Cultivate some techniques for gaining specific positive kinds of attention. You will notice that you need to adjust your approach to fit your audience. As you practice, you'll develop a sense for what "plays" and what doesn't.

There is also this. It is a free chapter (pdf)on extroverted sensing from Dario Nardi's book 8 keys to Self Leadership. It is all about sensing and how to do it.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    This is not a sarcastic thread. I would like to get more in touch with my sensory capabilities. How would one beging to maintain focus over such things? Is it a nmeasure of mental strength?
    Make the logical conclusion that it's better to pay attention to the things around you, rather than, say, tripping over crap or being eaten by alligators due to inattentiveness.

Unless of course you happen to enjoy that sort of thing.

I feel more like an S when I do something with my hands: installing curtain rods, measuring things, replacing the headlight on my car, or replacing various parts on my bike.

MBTI
    istp

pay attention to the details