• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Teach me how to be an S.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I hope nobody take this the wrong way, but, I have to understand What goes inside the mind of an S while observing the detail of the street/other cars/car's interior?

Because I am an N, naturally, will think about my destinate/what I am going to say/do, and if I decided to act as an S by observe physical details while traveling to let's say a stressful meeting. I would say to myself "well, I'm just so stressed about going to this meeting and I feel like having a panick attack, maybe I should just focus on anything else to take my mind off the meeting".

What goes inside the mind of an S while going to a stressful meeting.

Apologize if my english suck!

Sarah
I hate being in stress-out mode like that. :( That's probably one of the situations in which I'm less "aware" than most other situations, but usually I start thinking about how everyone is "in my way." "Get out of the way, I need to get to that meeting!" I guess something like that.

ENTJ-girl

The S approache seems resonable in these kind of situations. Focus away from the stressful subject by observing your surrounding.

I hate being in stress-out mode like that. :( That's probably one of the situations in which I'm less "aware" than most other situations, but usually I start thinking about how everyone is "in my way." "Get out of the way, I need to get to that meeting!" I guess something like that.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
But like I said, with something that distracting, I'm probably not as in touch with my surroundings as I normally would be, I guess. In times like that, it takes more energy and concentration than usual. And I guess that's understandable.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I hope nobody take this the wrong way, but, I have to understand What goes inside the mind of an S while observing the detail of the street/other cars/car's interior?

Lots of stuff. It varies depending on the actual circumstances. How could it possibly NOT be?

Because I am an N, naturally, will think about my destinate/what I am going to say/do, and if I decided to act as an S by observe physical details while traveling to let's say a stressful meeting. I would say to myself "well, I'm just so stressed about going to this meeting and I feel like having a panick attack, maybe I should just focus on anything else to take my mind off the meeting".

What goes inside the mind of an S while going to a stressful meeting.

Apologize if my english suck!

I think about the same exact things you do. It's not related to S vs N. So many people have brainwashed themselves into believing that preferring Sensing means you're incapable of thinking ahead. Well, that isn't true. If I'm going to a stressful meeting, I concentrate on thinking about a successful outcome. Once I'm there, I focus on the details of what's going on right now, so that I can take advantage of any opportunities to make things turn out positively.

*sigh* If I had a dime for every time I've pointed out that having a preference for Sensing doesn't mean you're incapable of thinking ahead or using your Intuition, I'd be a millionaire by now. Why is this such a hard thing for so many people to understand?

Kestrel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
*sigh* If I had a dime for every time I've pointed out that having a preference for Sensing doesn't mean you're incapable of thinking ahead or using your Intuition, I'd be a millionaire by now. Why is this such a hard thing for so many people to understand?

I think it stems from the fact that many people seem to view functions as all or nothing. Like an F isn't capable of thinking logically, or an S can't think in abstract terms. I think the temperaments are merely subconscious preferences.

Maybe some S types don't like thinking in abstract terms because they find it boring, not because they can't. I know I find dry, overly intellectual discussions to be quite dull and uninspiring so I do my best to avoid them. That doesn't mean I can't engage in that kind of discussion, I just would have to try harder to stay awake.

So it's not that S types are incapable of being intuitive, they just subconsciously (or perhaps consciously) prefer to engage their senses.

But I do think that magical, little N makes some people feel insightful, spiritual, "deeper" than the perceived S stereotype. I sometimes wonder if there are some S types on this board that mistype themselves as N just so they can "fit in and feel special". :huh:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yep, its this idea that makes people think that mbti places people into boxes.

Its not really meant to do that, its just kind of a general guide, there are people all over the N-S spectrum, E-I spectrum, and so on. If you look at it in terms of "spectrums", it allows for a lot more leeway!!!

ENTJ-girl

Well-written Sarah. Thanks, I have a much better understanding of the sensory function. I was not really implying anything whatsoever and I apologize if you had this impression. I am actually fascinated by the sensory function, I am gonna start using it more often.

Intuition can be misleading many times especially when you are stressed out. If you leave your mind wonder, accidents could be the least of your problems. We all need balance after all and we are all special in different ways.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I think it stems from the fact that many people seem to view functions as all or nothing. Like an F isn't capable of thinking logically, or an S can't think in abstract terms. I think the temperaments are merely subconscious preferences.

Maybe some S types don't like thinking in abstract terms because they find it boring, not because they can't. I know I find dry, overly intellectual discussions to be quite dull and uninspiring so I do my best to avoid them. That doesn't mean I can't engage in that kind of discussion, I just would have to try harder to stay awake.

So it's not that S types are incapable of being intuitive, they just subconsciously (or perhaps consciously) prefer to engage their senses.

But I do think that magical, little N makes some people feel insightful, spiritual, "deeper" than the perceived S stereotype. I sometimes wonder if there are some S types on this board that mistype themselves as N just so they can "fit in and feel special". :huh:

That's a good explanation. RARELY do I meet anyone who seems to be all one-sided in his or her use of any function. Such people probably create a lot of problems for themselves and others by being in so imbalanced. :shock:

If given the choice between doing something I consider fun (usually involving some activity I enjoy) and engaging in philosophical debate about something that isn't an immediate concern, chances are I'm going to choose to do what I consider fun. There are times when I feel like joining abstract discussions, but I don't tend to stay there for hours on end (I get restless in less than an hour) and not when I'm presented with the chance to get involved in activities that I enjoy. Thus, I think I have a preference for Sensing. Preference doesn't exactly equal ability, though the more you cater to your preferences, the stronger they get, I suppose.

I think the ability to envision an outcome is related to Ni, which is my tertiary function. According to type theorists, we develop our tertiary in our mid to late teens. So it makes sense that I've developed some ability to use it by now, since I'm 37. :laugh:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
lol!!!

i'm still waiting on my ability to use some N.

That's going to be a nice day.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Well-written Sarah. Thanks, I have a much better understanding of the sensory function. I was not really implying anything whatsoever and I apologize if you had this impression. I am actually fascinated by the sensory function, I am gonna start using it more often.

Intuition can be misleading many times especially when you are stressed out. If you leave your mind wonder, accidents could be the least of your problems. We all need balance after all and we are all special in different ways.

No harm done -- didn't mean to make it sound like I was ranting at you. I just tend to feel the need to say often on this forum that preferences are just preferences, and that they aren't necessarily equal to ability.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
lol!!!

i'm still waiting on my ability to use some N.

That's going to be a nice day.

I bet you do, though you don't realize it as "intuition" because it's not something maybe you rely on. :D

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
well, of course.
you have to use all the functions eventually or you can't survive, IMO

But my S preferences are very strong, so the n ness does not come natural.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
well, of course.
you have to use all the functions eventually or you can't survive, IMO

But my S preferences are very strong, so the n ness does not come natural.

Well, according to Berens/Nardi/Beebe, people don't usually start developing their inferior function until midlife, so you probably don't notice it much in action right now. I'm just thinking that you may be using it without realizing you're using it. I don't know. My inferior function is Te, and I can't say I'm all that good at using it. Oh, I TRY sometimes, but my attempts are usually pretty lame. :laugh:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yea, you are right.
My tertiary is Te. I'd say that its quite well-developed in myself.. but that Ni still doesn't work very well at all unless necissary. Or atleast, like you said, I don't notice it or rely on it.

wolfy

awsm
Well, according to Berens/Nardi/Beebe, people don't usually start developing their inferior function until midlife, so you probably don't notice it much in action right now. I'm just thinking that you may be using it without realizing you're using it. I don't know. My inferior function is Te, and I can't say I'm all that good at using it. Oh, I TRY sometimes, but my attempts are usually pretty lame. :laugh:

I can't wait for Te to kick in! I've got a ton of stuff to do. :run:

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Learn the art of cool and you'll understand the S.

Kalach

Filthy Apes!
MBTI Type
INTJ
Dunno if this counts but I know that hanging out in public I use my eyes a lot. It happened one day I was standing around waiting for someone who was late. I was already tired so I thought, whatever, take a rest. So I closed my eyes. Suddenly the whole "landscape" around me was different. I became aware of cars, footsteps, wind, all sorts of crap. I decided to try and "see" with my ears, work out what was where and who was near, what was far, stuff like that. Course, I zoned out after a while anyway because paying attention was tiring, but since then I find I like doing that occasionally, stopping and listening to what's outside.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
I can't wait for Te to kick in! I've got a ton of stuff to do. :run:

The only problem is, when WE try to engage it, it usually ends up costing us time, because we get so caught up in TRYING to be efficient and organized, which is different than actually being efficient and organized. (and then I usually end up having to ask my ISTJ sister for tips...) :D

wolfy

awsm
The only problem is, when WE try to engage it, it usually ends up costing us time, because we get so caught up in TRYING to be efficient and organized, which is different than actually being efficient and organized. (and then I usually end up having to ask my ISTJ sister for tips...) :D

That is SO true.
I collect so much stuff, especially info. I have 4000 bookmarks!
An organized and efficient system seems like my holy grail.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
That is SO true.
I collect so much stuff, especially info. I have 4000 bookmarks!
An organized and efficient system seems like my holy grail.

This, folks, is a perfect example of "aspirational Te" as it shows up in ISFPs. :D

*sigh* One of these days, my desk will be all neatly organized, and all files will be labelled. If I manage to do that, it will take me far longer than a truly organized person to accomplish, and it will stay all nice and neat for exactly... 2 days.