• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Teach me how to be an S.

T

ThatGirl

This is not a sarcastic thread. I would like to get more in touch with my sensory capabilities. How would one beging to maintain focus over such things? Is it a nmeasure of mental strength?

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Look around you more? I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm just not sure what to say. All I can think of is just spend more time taking things in with your senses. Focus on something and pay attention to it without letting your mind drift. Touch a leaf. Talk more about real tangible things.

Or something. I'm bad at advice. :blush:

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
um, Thatgirl.. I think it might be helpful to focus on one thing. Like, take a peice of fruit. Smell it, describe its smell, color, taste, texture. (sounds like homework, I know...) but i thnk it would be helpful in kind of understanding what its like to be a sensor.. we experience everything in this way.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Then you can do this with more and more things, until you are able to subconciously apply it to everything.

EASY!!!

wolfy

awsm
Found this here

To experience Extraverted Sensation:
• Walk around downtown in a city during the day, when lots of people are around (even a small town will do). Note what gets your attention, and what kind of attention it gets. Just walk around and let things grab your attention. Don't be deliberate. See what's exciting and what's boring. If a place looks exciting, go inside. The second you feel bored, leave and look around for something new. Don't think about this, don't reflect on it as you're doing it, and don't think ahead. Just go with your immediate gut reaction moment by moment--enter or exit the store before you have a chance to entertain a second thought.
• Walk again, and this time note what's grabbing other people's attention. Where's the crowd?
• (An exercise for brave people.) At a party or a bar or some other gathering of people, attract as much attention as you can to yourself. Anything that works is acceptable: feigning a heart attack, dressing better than everyone else there, dressing in a different color than everyone else there, putting a lampshade over your head--whatever works (it doesn't have to be dramatic, though, especially if you're just testing this out). Keep one eye on how much attention you're getting, and what kind of attention. As you try this at different gatherings, practice getting specific kinds of attention: intrigue, fear, disgust, sexual, laughing at you, laughing with you, etc. Cultivate some techniques for gaining specific positive kinds of attention. You will notice that you need to adjust your approach to fit your audience. As you practice, you'll develop a sense for what "plays" and what doesn't.

wolfy

awsm
There is also this. It is a free chapter (pdf)on extroverted sensing from Dario Nardi's book 8 keys to Self Leadership. It is all about sensing and how to do it.

raincrow007

MBTI Type
INTP
This is not a sarcastic thread. I would like to get more in touch with my sensory capabilities. How would one beging to maintain focus over such things? Is it a nmeasure of mental strength?

Make the logical conclusion that it's better to pay attention to the things around you, rather than, say, tripping over crap or being eaten by alligators due to inattentiveness.

Unless of course you happen to enjoy that sort of thing.

file cabinet

I feel more like an S when I do something with my hands: installing curtain rods, measuring things, replacing the headlight on my car, or replacing various parts on my bike.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Video Games. Specifically first person shooters. I call it my "active sensing" because I do have to actively make sure I'm being as observant as possible. I play Call of Duty 4 all the time, and in the summers I play a lot of Paintball and have found my abilities to detect change in my environment are very heightened. Granted, it's very specific in how I do "sense" as I think I use my intuition to establish a mood, atmosphere or print in how my environment [or video game map] "should" be, then wait for a sensory trigger to disturb that image and that's how I'll notice something.

Granted, I'm still naturally oblivious to the world around me if I'm not actively putting energy into making sure I'm perceptive. Just the other day I put two socks on the same foot, put my shoes on, and drove all the way to school before I figured out why my left foot felt funny.

defragmybrain

MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
draw, paint. an excellent exercise of observation. see how photorealistic you can make something.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Play sports, go out and do physical things. Go kayaking. Do things that force your attention to the present. Things like bike riding might not count, because you can easily zone out and get in your head while riding, it doesn't require 100% attention.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
A stupid question: HOW?

How to pay attention? Or rather how to maintain the attention? If I focus on something, then I'm okay, but when I don't actively do so, I crash into things, misplace items, fall down a cliff?

It's not automatic... and probably wouldn't ever be automatic. :mellow:

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
sports is a very good suggestion. nothing quite like getting a ball to the face to keep you focused.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Go on a killing spree. It's totally living in the moment.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Things like bike riding might not count, because you can easily zone out and get in your head while riding, it doesn't require 100% attention.

Ride down a mountain with no brakes. Try zoning out then.

Unique

Video Games. Specifically first person shooters. I call it my "active sensing" because I do have to actively make sure I'm being as observant as possible. I play Call of Duty 4 all the time, and in the summers I play a lot of Paintball and have found my abilities to detect change in my environment are very heightened. Granted, it's very specific in how I do "sense" as I think I use my intuition to establish a mood, atmosphere or print in how my environment [or video game map] "should" be, then wait for a sensory trigger to disturb that image and that's how I'll notice something.

Granted, I'm still naturally oblivious to the world around me if I'm not actively putting energy into making sure I'm perceptive. Just the other day I put two socks on the same foot, put my shoes on, and drove all the way to school before I figured out why my left foot felt funny.

Agreed. Thatgirl try games =)

T

ThatGirl

sports is a very good suggestion. nothing quite like getting a ball to the face to keep you focused.

This is the main reason I hate tether ball, seriously how long does it take for the ball to make its circle, I zone out and never see it comming, but it happens, every time.

These are great suggestions everyone.