User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ENTJ-girl View Post
    I hope nobody take this the wrong way, but, I have to understand What goes inside the mind of an S while observing the detail of the street/other cars/car's interior?

Because I am an N, naturally, will think about my destinate/what I am going to say/do, and if I decided to act as an S by observe physical details while traveling to let's say a stressful meeting. I would say to myself "well, I'm just so stressed about going to this meeting and I feel like having a panick attack, maybe I should just focus on anything else to take my mind off the meeting".

What goes inside the mind of an S while going to a stressful meeting.

Apologize if my english suck!

Sarah
    I hate being in stress-out mode like that. That's probably one of the situations in which I'm less "aware" than most other situations, but usually I start thinking about how everyone is "in my way." "Get out of the way, I need to get to that meeting!" I guess something like that.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

The S approache seems resonable in these kind of situations. Focus away from the stressful subject by observing your surrounding.

Quote Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
    I hate being in stress-out mode like that. That's probably one of the situations in which I'm less "aware" than most other situations, but usually I start thinking about how everyone is "in my way." "Get out of the way, I need to get to that meeting!" I guess something like that.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

But like I said, with something that distracting, I'm probably not as in touch with my surroundings as I normally would be, I guess. In times like that, it takes more energy and concentration than usual. And I guess that's understandable.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    isfp

I hope nobody take this the wrong way, but, I have to understand What goes inside the mind of an S while observing the detail of the street/other cars/car's interior?
    Lots of stuff. It varies depending on the actual circumstances. How could it possibly NOT be?

Because I am an N, naturally, will think about my destinate/what I am going to say/do, and if I decided to act as an S by observe physical details while traveling to let's say a stressful meeting. I would say to myself "well, I'm just so stressed about going to this meeting and I feel like having a panick attack, maybe I should just focus on anything else to take my mind off the meeting".

What goes inside the mind of an S while going to a stressful meeting.

Apologize if my english suck!
    I think about the same exact things you do. It's not related to S vs N. So many people have brainwashed themselves into believing that preferring Sensing means you're incapable of thinking ahead. Well, that isn't true. If I'm going to a stressful meeting, I concentrate on thinking about a successful outcome. Once I'm there, I focus on the details of what's going on right now, so that I can take advantage of any opportunities to make things turn out positively.

*sigh* If I had a dime for every time I've pointed out that having a preference for Sensing doesn't mean you're incapable of thinking ahead or using your Intuition, I'd be a millionaire by now. Why is this such a hard thing for so many people to understand?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    *sigh* If I had a dime for every time I've pointed out that having a preference for Sensing doesn't mean you're incapable of thinking ahead or using your Intuition, I'd be a millionaire by now. Why is this such a hard thing for so many people to understand?
    I think it stems from the fact that many people seem to view functions as all or nothing. Like an F isn't capable of thinking logically, or an S can't think in abstract terms. I think the temperaments are merely subconscious preferences.

Maybe some S types don't like thinking in abstract terms because they find it boring, not because they can't. I know I find dry, overly intellectual discussions to be quite dull and uninspiring so I do my best to avoid them. That doesn't mean I can't engage in that kind of discussion, I just would have to try harder to stay awake.

So it's not that S types are incapable of being intuitive, they just subconsciously (or perhaps consciously) prefer to engage their senses.

But I do think that magical, little N makes some people feel insightful, spiritual, "deeper" than the perceived S stereotype. I sometimes wonder if there are some S types on this board that mistype themselves as N just so they can "fit in and feel special".
    I-44 N-88 F-62 J-67

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Yep, its this idea that makes people think that mbti places people into boxes.

Its not really meant to do that, its just kind of a general guide, there are people all over the N-S spectrum, E-I spectrum, and so on. If you look at it in terms of "spectrums", it allows for a lot more leeway!!!

Well-written Sarah. Thanks, I have a much better understanding of the sensory function. I was not really implying anything whatsoever and I apologize if you had this impression. I am actually fascinated by the sensory function, I am gonna start using it more often.

Intuition can be misleading many times especially when you are stressed out. If you leave your mind wonder, accidents could be the least of your problems. We all need balance after all and we are all special in different ways.

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    I think it stems from the fact that many people seem to view functions as all or nothing. Like an F isn't capable of thinking logically, or an S can't think in abstract terms. I think the temperaments are merely subconscious preferences.

Maybe some S types don't like thinking in abstract terms because they find it boring, not because they can't. I know I find dry, overly intellectual discussions to be quite dull and uninspiring so I do my best to avoid them. That doesn't mean I can't engage in that kind of discussion, I just would have to try harder to stay awake.

So it's not that S types are incapable of being intuitive, they just subconsciously (or perhaps consciously) prefer to engage their senses.

But I do think that magical, little N makes some people feel insightful, spiritual, "deeper" than the perceived S stereotype. I sometimes wonder if there are some S types on this board that mistype themselves as N just so they can "fit in and feel special".

That's a good explanation. RARELY do I meet anyone who seems to be all one-sided in his or her use of any function. Such people probably create a lot of problems for themselves and others by being in so imbalanced.

If given the choice between doing something I consider fun (usually involving some activity I enjoy) and engaging in philosophical debate about something that isn't an immediate concern, chances are I'm going to choose to do what I consider fun. There are times when I feel like joining abstract discussions, but I don't tend to stay there for hours on end (I get restless in less than an hour) and not when I'm presented with the chance to get involved in activities that I enjoy. Thus, I think I have a preference for Sensing. Preference doesn't exactly equal ability, though the more you cater to your preferences, the stronger they get, I suppose.

I think the ability to envision an outcome is related to Ni, which is my tertiary function. According to type theorists, we develop our tertiary in our mid to late teens. So it makes sense that I've developed some ability to use it by now, since I'm 37.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

lol!!!

i'm still waiting on my ability to use some N.

That's going to be a nice day.

MBTI
    isfp

Well-written Sarah. Thanks, I have a much better understanding of the sensory function. I was not really implying anything whatsoever and I apologize if you had this impression. I am actually fascinated by the sensory function, I am gonna start using it more often.

Intuition can be misleading many times especially when you are stressed out. If you leave your mind wonder, accidents could be the least of your problems. We all need balance after all and we are all special in different ways.

No harm done -- didn't mean to make it sound like I was ranting at you. I just tend to feel the need to say often on this forum that preferences are just preferences, and that they aren't necessarily equal to ability.