User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Maybe for Ns, we should work on something smaller? (smaller than a whole landscape) Doing something similar with a person instead was a good idea. It's just that humans seem like a harder subject to draw.
    Last edited by Cimarron; 12-06-2008 at 09:12 AM. Reason: another thought
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

All the things you guys suggested are related to meditation exercises
    I suck at meditation and now I understand why. I've noticed I can only go into 'sensing' mode, and fully enjoy the things you described if I'm completely relaxed, have no other dying needs to fulfill, nor any other things I should take care of. And then it can feel incredibly relaxing. Otherwise it irritates, annoys and generally stresses me to have to do those things. But when I am able to enjoy them, it gives a sense of oneness. I admire you guys for being able to do this, seriously
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    isfp

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    hmm.. if contour drawing involves observing a subject and trying to draw exactly what you see, I'm not sure if there's much room for N, there.

Yes, you have to totally concentrate on the object, and slooooooowwwwwly allow your eye to trace the contours of it at the same time you're moving your pencil. Your pencil can not go ahead of where you're looking (or vice versa) and speeding up isn't going to help you any. The idea is not to assume anything about what you're looking at - you must draw exactly what you see, even if that feels weird to you, and not what you think you should see, or how you interpret what you see.

Basically, it trains your brain to notice minute details and record what's actually there instead of making assumptions. This is so you can draw something that looks like the thing in front of you, and it helps you gain a sense of proportion and perspective. Of course, this is just an exercise. Most artists want to incorporate some idealization or interpretation in their art, but it's a very handy exercise for training yourself to draw realistically, and with confidence and dexterity.

Sarah

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    Yes, you have to totally concentrate on the object, and slooooooowwwwwly allow your eye to trace the contours of it at the same time you're moving your pencil. Your pencil can not go ahead of where you're looking (or vice versa) and speeding up isn't going to help you any. The idea is not to assume anything about what you're looking at - you must draw exactly what you see, even if that feels weird to you, and not what you think you should see, or how you interpret what you see.

Basically, it trains your brain to notice minute details and record what's actually there instead of making assumptions. This is so you can draw something that looks like the thing in front of you, and it helps you gain a sense of proportion and perspective. Of course, this is just an exercise. Most artists want to incorporate some idealization or interpretation in their art, but it's a very handy exercise for training yourself to draw realistically, and with confidence and dexterity.

Sarah
    Hmmm interesting. Thanks for the idea Sarah. I'll try sometimes (eventually)...

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by sarah View Post
    I guess our family's the opposite of yours -- except for my husband who likes to do woodworking, the Ns suck at art and don't ever do anything artistic, and the Ss like different forms of it and enjoy playing around with color and shape, etc.. I see an awful lot of relevance in my suggestion. Perhaps each family is different.

I wasn't talking about abstract art, by the way. Have you actually tried DOING blind contour drawing? It demands you tune out intuition and pay attention closely to what you're sensing.

Sarah
    Contour drawing ? That sounds boring.

I'm into more creative work.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    Contour drawing ? That sounds boring.

I'm into more creative work.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Can't/Won't.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilen View Post
    Can't/Won't.

What if you just pm me something? I'll show you my art if you show me yours. It will give you an ego boost cuz my art sucks. lol.

MBTI
    ABCD
    Enneagram
    4 sx/so
    Socionics
    SEI

BTW there are a lot of really good N artists. And anyone who says being an S type or N type gets in the way of doing whatever kind of art is 100% wrong. I would know. I've taken a lot of art classes. You'd be surprised at what kinds of things N types will create. You'd be surprised at what kinds of things S types will create.

And drawing/painting/etc. isn't some kind of magical talent either. It's a learnable teachable skill. Like writing or reading. Anyone can do any type of art if they set their mind to it.

EDIT: I'm going to leave and go to a thread where I'm actually on topic.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Ahah, my ego needs no boost.

But it's been a while since I last painted, and now they all seem to suck; cause I have new ideas.

So I can't show 'em to anybody, that's the alternative for destroying them.