• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] ESTP Intimidation

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
This thread is beginning to annoy me, really badly.
Why are ESTP's intimidating? Just because they are straightforward?

And I don't think the issue you are talking about is type-related, you are analyzing everything from this perspective, even if it is non-related.

How can you know for sure that every mechanic in there is an ESTP? Did you test each and everyone of them? Or are you simply making stereotypical assumptions?

Don't get me wrong, what infuriates me is not the fact that you are talking about my type, but the fact that you are not looking at issues from a number of angles, but from a single point of view.

The answer to your question, to fit your stereotypical analyze, is no, we do not realize how "scary" we are. It is in our nature to act so, it is not deliberate.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8

And I don't think the issue you are talking about is type-related, you are analyzing everything from this perspective, even if it is non-related.

How can you know for sure that every mechanic in there is an ESTP? Did you test each and everyone of them? Or are you simply making stereotypical assumptions?

Don't get me wrong, what infuriates me is not the fact that you are talking about my type, but the fact that you are not looking at issues from a number of angles, but from a single point of view.

The answer to your question, to fit your stereotypical analyze, is no, we do not realize how "scary" we are. It is in our nature to act so, it is not deliberate.

You're being intimidating here :D

Frank

Since we are stereotyping here, aren't estps supposed to be promoter, entrepreneur types. The individuals you describe sound anything but that. I would see the estp as the one welcoming you in and selling you on their service not alienating the customer.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Since we are stereotyping here, aren't estps supposed to be promoter, entrepreneur types. The individuals you describe sound anything but that. I would see the estp as the one welcoming you in and selling you on their service not alienating the customer.
Precisely.

Sub, you're describing ISTPs, who are the ones endemic to garages -- and who might, if not kept in line, tease somebody who isn't part of the tribe.

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp

My feelings exactly. How on earth does the original poster "know" for certain that all the mechanics in that particular garage are ESTPs? It's silly to make type assumptions about people you know nothing about.

I personally don't find the ESTP type scary. People aren't "scary" unless they're actually physically threatening me, which happens very rarely. I would guess my boss is an ESTP, and she's the best person I've ever worked for. She's great at getting things done, and not putting up with useless delays, pointless protocol and beurocracic red tape.

Sarah

Anja

MBTI Type
INFP
Quick read and quicker thoughts sub.

Women run into this stuff all the time with many different types of males. For me it's been a matter of getting solid with my femaleness and hanging in there.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm not intimidated by ESTPs.

Well, maybe Trump. His wig is DOMINANT.

Chris_in_Orbit

MBTI Type
ESTJ
I've had similar experiences with E-N-TP personalities... The way they (or should i say the ones I have met) can make you feel like you know absolutely nothing about anything is pretty impressive... however I do adore the ENTPs who aren't like that.

I'm thinking being surrounded by people who are similar to each other but are nothing like you is intimidating no matter what the circumstances are....how did you even type all the people in the car store as ESTP anyway? surely they are istps...

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Sorry me-plus-one, I didn't mean to offend. I love ESTPs (am engaged to one), and I do agree with the posters who doubted whether the mechanics at the beginning are actual ESTPs. My fiance works at a car dealership but as a salesman rather than a mechanic, and he is always enthusiastically greeting a customer as they walk in. I think that the intimidation that I and others are mentioning isn't due to "scariness" on the part of ESTPs, but rather -- at least, speaking for myself -- I think sometimes feelers and perhaps intuitives too can get a little hesitant about how to proceed around people who are very blunt and direct. And oftentimes "intimidated" isn't the word but rather I am in awe of how ESTPs can so confidently maneuvre to get what they want from almost any situation. Whenever my partner hears me on the phone wrangling unsuccessfully with an insurance agent or computer technician or whoever, he comes over, takes the phone and proceeds to get exactly what I wanted but was unable to get myself :eek:)

Frank

Sorry me-plus-one, I didn't mean to offend. I love ESTPs (am engaged to one), and I do agree with the posters who doubted whether the mechanics at the beginning are actual ESTPs. My fiance works at a car dealership but as a salesman rather than a mechanic, and he is always enthusiastically greeting a customer as they walk in. I think that the intimidation that I and others are mentioning isn't due to "scariness" on the part of ESTPs, but rather -- at least, speaking for myself -- I think sometimes feelers and perhaps intuitives too can get a little hesitant about how to proceed around people who are very blunt and direct. And oftentimes "intimidated" isn't the word but rather I am in awe of how ESTPs can so confidently maneuvre to get what they want from almost any situation. Whenever my partner hears me on the phone wrangling unsuccessfully with an insurance agent or computer technician or whoever, he comes over, takes the phone and proceeds to get exactly what I wanted but was unable to get myself :eek:)

Agreed. That is quite a useful skill and one that I have worked to acquire over time. I am now fairly decent at it but definitely am not as natural as an estp or any ep for that matter

Unique

Exactly.

OP You certainly don't have my respect for your poor research on type and disgusting stereotyping (Even if you had titled this correctly as an ISTP thread is would still be a type hate thread.)

Last edited:

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
I'm certainly no sissy myself, but when I go into the garage and find myself confronted with all these ESTP's covered in grease and smelling and looking terribly manly....
Maybe this question has been asked or at least the inquiry covered, but I stopped reading the threads.... What makes you think they're ESTPs? Did one or some of them tell you their experience with the MBTI?

Kestrel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1
When I first saw this topic, without looking at it, I assumed someone was having genuine difficulty dealing with an ESTP and there would be a meaningful discussion about how to address this problem. Right on the money, huh? :rolleyes:

Typing other people always seems like a fruitless task for me. I can barely type people I've known my whole life, let alone people I've just met.

Either way, I find it funny that people like to attribute qualities based on type. Are they smart? Must be NT. Are they kind? Must be NF. But if someone is rude yet good with tools, then they MUST be an SP. Some of my personal experiences with "types" have been the reverse. :)

I get a little tired of the inflated N egos on this board sometimes. I wish I could find the release valve. :huh:

Night

Boring old fossil
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5/8
Exactly.

You really have an apology to make and I've reported your post. I encourage others to do the same as this thread has no substance.

I would encourage this only if you suspect the OP has broken a cardinal rule within the FAQs.

Otherwise, what I would encourage is a healthy, respectful discussion. Trying to inspire an incendiary collaboration to an otherwise well-meaning exchange is not what I would encourage.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
When I first saw this topic, without looking at it, I assumed someone was having genuine difficulty dealing with an ESTP and there would be a meaningful discussion about how to address this problem. Right on the money, huh? :rolleyes:

Typing other people always seems like a fruitless task for me. I can barely type people I've known my whole life, let alone people I've just met.

Either way, I find it funny that people like to attribute qualities based on type. Are they smart? Must be NT. Are they kind? Must be NF. But if someone is rude and good with tools, then they MUST be an SP. Some of my personal experiences with "types" have been the reverse. :)

I get a little tired of the inflated N egos on this board sometimes. I wish I could find the release valve. :huh:
Kestrel, you are absolutely correct in your assertions in particularly of how the forums see the positives infer being intuitive and the negatives sensing.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...I get a little tired of the inflated N egos on this board sometimes. I wish I could find the release valve. :huh:

Kestrel, you are absolutely correct in your assertions in particularly of how the forums see the positives infer being intuitive and the negatives sensing.

So how would you both advise that this issue might be resolved?

(Just as a small aside, lumping all of us N's together as return criticism isn't exactly what I was imagining. Some of us either don't hold the view you describe or we try hard to remove it when we sense it within ourselves.)

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe

(Just as a small aside, lumping all of us N's together as return criticism isn't exactly what I was imagining. Some of us either don't hold the view you describe or we try hard to remove it when we sense it within ourselves.)
You are correct Jennifer and I do not want my response to sound inclusive which is why I noted "forums" since there are a lot of people who get it. As to answer your question, it's like any other prejudices based on stereotypes. Usually it's based on ignorance. You overcome the ignorance by learning. In this case people need to learn or expereience the different types the same way if you have racial prejudices and getting to know someone of that race. Clearly I can understand that many would not find the need to do that with type since it pales in comparison to the latter example.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As to answer your question, it's like any other prejudices based on stereotypes. Usually it's based on ignorance. You overcome the ignorance by learning. In this case people need to learn or expereience the different types the same way if you have racial prejudices and getting to know someone of that race. Clearly I can understand that many would not find the need to do that with type since it pales in comparison to the latter example.

That seems to make sense.

Is there a viable way to do that online, or do you [general "you," anyone feel free to answer] think the online forum is not the right medium to adequately do this?

Should we start hosting some "MEET THE [ESTP]" events? ;)

Oh, the ESTP is a person in your neighborhood,
in your neighborhood,
in your neigh-bor-hoood...

Any other ideas are welcome as well.

Kestrel

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
2w1

Are you suggesting there is a resolution? I don't think there is any way to change collective attitudes and ideas - quickly, at least. For the sake of fair representation, it would be nice if there was more balance in numbers amongst N and S types on the board.

I can see how you would think I was lumping all N's together with my "criticism". However, I think there could be a little bit more N criticism. Like anything, it has it's downsides. Could an inflated sense of self importance be one of those downsides? Seems that way. Am I guilty of this too? Sometimes, but I'm aware of it enough to keep it in check (most of the time, I'm not perfect).

Edit: That's actually a good suggestion. I would like to see more of SP viewpoints just for the sake of a more complete perspective.

King sns

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
no but i've come up with a lovely slogan.

"geico. so easy an ESTP can do it."

just kidding don'thitme!! :angry:

I thought of that slogan for ESFP's when I read a thread about ESFP's being generally dumb a while back. My face was like the insulted caveman after he sees the banner or watches the commercial.

Seriously though, you could probably do that with any type. "Q+A with an ESTP," or whatnot. Get any misconceptions out of the way.