User Tag List

First 6789 Last

MBTI
    INFP

I would like to hear what sub has to say about this.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lukepd View Post
    Unlike the OP I actually said my theory was a guess. Did you miss that part?
    No, didn't miss your use of stereotypes of my type earlier.

In fact, let me quote your stereotyping:

Car fixing is the wrong place to find ESTPs

Next time go try a car yard and THEN you will find ESTPs

ISTPs fix cars, ESTPs sell them.
    See my point? No one reacted to it until you did. At which point you did the exact same thing you claim he did, except you did it in directly and in bold, while his was personal and actually had direct contact with the people he typed. You were the one that interjected strong typist comments into this thread.

As far as rude/negative issues goes, he never said they were rude. He was illustrating that they have this laid back rough and tumble approach and he felt horribly out of place. He didn't know how to interject himself into their world. He was the one who was out of place, not them.

And even better, you actually support the stereotype. So long as it is someone else. Rather insulting to me, actually:

ISTPs have a "brotherhood" feel about them. If you are not part of it, you get the cold treatment. Poor customer service aka people skills? sounds like a bunch of introverts to me.
    I'll have you know my customer service skills actually won be awards, TYVM.

The worst transgression the OP made was the language choice to express the environments he was in, but you managed to invalidate his experiences with types he interacted with as well as how it made him feel. You didn't explain what would cause him to feel this way, that maybe it isn't all ESTP, etc. No, you attacked him by using rather insulting stereotypes of your own, to tell him that it's not ESTPs that are rude and so forth, but ISTPs.

It almost sounds like you look down on the 'ISTP's that do the job you associate them with. Maybe that's why you took offense to the ESTP connection?

Really, I honestly couldn't be bothered learning a single thing about cars, I would rather someone to fix my car for me so I can do something more productive.
    I could read a lot into your words too, if I wanted.

I fail to see how I was rude in regards to your type. To me there's nothing wrong with fixing cars its just something I wouldn't do.

I wasn't stereotyping I was stating that introverts are more likely to have less people skills... thats just fact, hell its even in the introvert description on virtually every MBTI related site are you going to call them stereotypers? No? Didn't think so.

Maybe you are an introvert that has developed excellent people skills. That doesn't change the traits associated with most introverts which was all I was saying. The OP sounds like he was describing unhealthy ISTP types. (once again though there isn't enough info to know for sure if they are ISTPs)

The OP on the other hand assumed a bunch of mechanics were ESTPs he said they intimidating rude yada yada. Which MBTI related site says that ESTPs are rude or intimidating? None.

Which MBTI sites say that ISTPs are often mechanics? Lots.

See the difference?

MBTI
    ISTP

See the difference?
    I see that you are very good at perpetuating stereotypes. You listed a bunch in your post and then rationalized them, supported them and called them fact. And that is why I want this thread to die - it causes exactly what I don't want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I see that you are very good at perpetuating stereotypes. You listed a bunch in your post and then rationalized them, supported them and called them fact. And that is why I want this thread to die - it causes exactly what I don't want to see.
    Well we agree on the fact that this thread should die but I wasn't stereotyping.

Do you think if someone called me outgoing cause I'm an E that I would say they are stereotyping? Thats all I was doing, saying facts. I never called any type some negative stereotype.

Unless being a mechanic or being introverted is a bad thing. Which of course it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    I would like to hear what sub has to say about this.
    He's probably lost interest or forgotten this thread existed...
    Or maybe he's being smart and staying out of it.

MBTI
    INFP

Well, there's a lot of speculation about what sub's intentions were and it makes it difficult to have a conversation if the OP isn't here to clarify.

I don't think sub would be the type to run away from it.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by sade View Post
    He's probably lost interest or forgotten this thread existed...
    Or maybe he's being smart and staying out of it.
    I've come down hard on others before and Sub and I haven't agreed on my interpretation before, so we've talked about it at length in the past. Based on that...

My guess is that he is tired of having things like this construed as more than they are. When it happens, you throw up your hands and walk away from the forums for a while. I imagine that is what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    When it happens, you throw up your hands and walk away from the forums for a while. I imagine that is what happened.
    Yea.. That translates to being smart and staying out, at least in my mind.

MBTI
    ENTP

Well, I came back from a freakishly busy RL to see a rather angry rep comment on my profile, I don't have time to read through the thread and see how it's descended into areas I didn't intend, but suffice it to say that I did NOT intend any type hate, but in fact distinctly said in many places that I felt my personal feeling of intimidation came mainly from my own ENVY and desire to actually be like the ESTP's, which is about as far from hating them as it possibly gets. I abandoned the thread when it became clear that I was not being understood and, after several failed attempts to amend the situation, nothing seemed to improve so I put it down to my inability to communicate on the right level and figured hey, it's only a bloody forum, I've got stuff to do. I hoped maybe eventually someone might get my point and set things straight if they could put it better than me, if that hasn't happened then I regret it, as I think I regret starting the thread at all.

I just hope it can be seen and believed that I absolutely do NOT support type hate/prejudice and that I have nothing but admiration and respect for ESTP's, that I don't have any problem with mechanics or the way they behave generally in these parts, and any issues I have such as feeling intimidated I acknowledge to spring from my own personal jealousy and desire for a life that I'm just not cut out for. My point had nothing to do with mechanics or customer service or manners, but everything to do with the general coolness, manliness and toughness of the average ESTP and how being confronted with those qualities makes me feel intimidated and inadequate simply because it makes me realize how much I lack them.

Peace out.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen