User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    Since we are stereotyping here, aren't estps supposed to be promoter, entrepreneur types. The individuals you describe sound anything but that. I would see the estp as the one welcoming you in and selling you on their service not alienating the customer.
    Exactly.

OP You certainly don't have my respect for your poor research on type and disgusting stereotyping (Even if you had titled this correctly as an ISTP thread is would still be a type hate thread.)
    Last edited by Unique; 12-02-2008 at 11:00 PM.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I'm certainly no sissy myself, but when I go into the garage and find myself confronted with all these ESTP's covered in grease and smelling and looking terribly manly....
    Maybe this question has been asked or at least the inquiry covered, but I stopped reading the threads.... What makes you think they're ESTPs? Did one or some of them tell you their experience with the MBTI?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    EIE

When I first saw this topic, without looking at it, I assumed someone was having genuine difficulty dealing with an ESTP and there would be a meaningful discussion about how to address this problem. Right on the money, huh?

Typing other people always seems like a fruitless task for me. I can barely type people I've known my whole life, let alone people I've just met.

Either way, I find it funny that people like to attribute qualities based on type. Are they smart? Must be NT. Are they kind? Must be NF. But if someone is rude yet good with tools, then they MUST be an SP. Some of my personal experiences with "types" have been the reverse.

I get a little tired of the inflated N egos on this board sometimes. I wish I could find the release valve.
    I-44 N-88 F-62 J-67

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Lukepd View Post
    Exactly.

You really have an apology to make and I've reported your post. I encourage others to do the same as this thread has no substance.
    I would encourage this only if you suspect the OP has broken a cardinal rule within the FAQs.

Otherwise, what I would encourage is a healthy, respectful discussion. Trying to inspire an incendiary collaboration to an otherwise well-meaning exchange is not what I would encourage.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    When I first saw this topic, without looking at it, I assumed someone was having genuine difficulty dealing with an ESTP and there would be a meaningful discussion about how to address this problem. Right on the money, huh?

Typing other people always seems like a fruitless task for me. I can barely type people I've known my whole life, let alone people I've just met.

Either way, I find it funny that people like to attribute qualities based on type. Are they smart? Must be NT. Are they kind? Must be NF. But if someone is rude and good with tools, then they MUST be an SP. Some of my personal experiences with "types" have been the reverse.

I get a little tired of the inflated N egos on this board sometimes. I wish I could find the release valve.
    Kestrel, you are absolutely correct in your assertions in particularly of how the forums see the positives infer being intuitive and the negatives sensing.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    ...I get a little tired of the inflated N egos on this board sometimes. I wish I could find the release valve.
    Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    Kestrel, you are absolutely correct in your assertions in particularly of how the forums see the positives infer being intuitive and the negatives sensing.
    So how would you both advise that this issue might be resolved?

(Just as a small aside, lumping all of us N's together as return criticism isn't exactly what I was imagining. Some of us either don't hold the view you describe or we try hard to remove it when we sense it within ourselves.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

(Just as a small aside, lumping all of us N's together as return criticism isn't exactly what I was imagining. Some of us either don't hold the view you describe or we try hard to remove it when we sense it within ourselves.)
    You are correct Jennifer and I do not want my response to sound inclusive which is why I noted "forums" since there are a lot of people who get it. As to answer your question, it's like any other prejudices based on stereotypes. Usually it's based on ignorance. You overcome the ignorance by learning. In this case people need to learn or expereience the different types the same way if you have racial prejudices and getting to know someone of that race. Clearly I can understand that many would not find the need to do that with type since it pales in comparison to the latter example.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by "?" View Post
    As to answer your question, it's like any other prejudices based on stereotypes. Usually it's based on ignorance. You overcome the ignorance by learning. In this case people need to learn or expereience the different types the same way if you have racial prejudices and getting to know someone of that race. Clearly I can understand that many would not find the need to do that with type since it pales in comparison to the latter example.
    That seems to make sense.

Is there a viable way to do that online, or do you [general "you," anyone feel free to answer] think the online forum is not the right medium to adequately do this?

Should we start hosting some "MEET THE [ESTP]" events?

Oh, the ESTP is a person in your neighborhood,
    in your neighborhood,
    in your neigh-bor-hoood...

Any other ideas are welcome as well.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post

Are you suggesting there is a resolution? I don't think there is any way to change collective attitudes and ideas - quickly, at least. For the sake of fair representation, it would be nice if there was more balance in numbers amongst N and S types on the board.

I can see how you would think I was lumping all N's together with my "criticism". However, I think there could be a little bit more N criticism. Like anything, it has it's downsides. Could an inflated sense of self importance be one of those downsides? Seems that way. Am I guilty of this too? Sometimes, but I'm aware of it enough to keep it in check (most of the time, I'm not perfect).

Edit: That's actually a good suggestion. I would like to see more of SP viewpoints just for the sake of a more complete perspective.
    I-44 N-88 F-62 J-67

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. -Winston Churchill

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

no but i've come up with a lovely slogan.

"geico. so easy an ESTP can do it."

just kidding don'thitme!!

I thought of that slogan for ESFP's when I read a thread about ESFP's being generally dumb a while back. My face was like the insulted caveman after he sees the banner or watches the commercial.

Seriously though, you could probably do that with any type. "Q+A with an ESTP," or whatnot. Get any misconceptions out of the way.