• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Art that invokes emotion or art that invokes thought?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
they're so intertwined i'm not sure i can tell the difference.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
they're so intertwined i'm not sure i can tell the difference.
^ True - of the best art, that is.
Edit to add: As a sentient being, I prefer art that engages my mind as well as emotions, as sentience doesn't begin/end with either. It is great when you can get to the one aspect indirectly by appealing directly to the other, but I confess I cannot choose a preference of starting points at this time.

Nillerz

MBTI Type
ENFP
I tend to lean to thought, since art that invokes emotion seems to me to be the most simple use of technical art skils, wheras thought invoking requires thought.

lane777

nevermore
Emotion. With me, it's so subtle that I often miss it's presence or fail to identify the particular emotion I'm experiencing. So it's pure bliss when something (art, music, dance) invokes strong feeling... Possibly many non Fi's take this clarity for granted.

blanclait

MBTI Type
ENTP
thought, b/c i can't really feel any intense emotion from art.

Spartacuss

wholly charmed
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
thought, b/c i can't really feel any intense emotion from art.

Funny, as an opposite reaction is precisely the pull. If it weren't for art, I'd be a robot. Especially music. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but the most intense emotions often have an aesthetic origin for me.

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Emotion. I got all my thinkin' done years ago. (So to speak.)

sarah

soft and silky
MBTI Type
isfp
Thought, but in the form of contemplation, not logical reasoning. Art that ONLY invokes an emotional response freaks me out because I hate being emotionally manipulated. But I can choose to contemplate a piece of art for as long as I want to.

Sarah

Chukamok

MBTI Type
IXFP
I guess it depends on how it's presented. Most art pieces I've seen that go for pure emotion are of the knee-jerk variety. A piece that comes to mind is "Piss Christ" where a crucifix was submerged in a jar of urine. I find this kind of emotional art a load of crap.

To me the best emotional pieces are the ones you have to think about first. Only after you soak it all in does the emotion settle on you. Picasso's "Guernica" is a prime example of this.

That said, I would say "invoke thought" or "invoke thought that creates emotion".

anainani

MBTI Type
isfp
When it comes to music, then I go for emotion. Songs that create thought usually have some profound lyrics, no? I usually don't care about lyrics that much, unless they're really good.
When it comes to other types of art, the best ones are the ones that invoke both, but if I had to choose, I'd say thought. Usually, at least for me, if there's thought, some emotion comes with it too.

Martoon

perdu fleur par bologne
MBTI Type
INTP
I think the invocation of emotion or thought has more to do with the process the artist uses to create the art than it has to do with its effect on me. As to art that evokes emotion or thought, if I could only have one, it would probably be that of emotion. As illustrated by the annoying, anal hairsplitting I just did there, I've got that "thought" thing going on all the time, whether I want to or not. But anything that can pull raw, genuine emotion from me without it being strangled by relentless rational analysis is a good thing.

anainani

MBTI Type
isfp
Martoon, :rofl1: that's the most frightening avatar I've seen in my life. :D

wolfy

awsm
Emotion. I want to feel it.

[YOUTUBE="sDW6vkuqGLg"]Finger Pointing to the Moon - Bruce Lee[/YOUTUBE]

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
curiosity and a sense of being there... I like landscapes and the more realistic the better... if I can hear the water or the birds or feel the sunshine and wind then it is a proper painting... I don't want to see a pretty picture, I want the sense that I really AM there :wubbie: I want to wonder what's behind that sand dune if I cross it or why the cow doesn't want to cross the water or why everyone is gathering to trade on the beach on such a cold and dreary day... if the picture can't evoke that I'll probably walk on by it for something better :yes:

crimsonhaze

MBTI Type
INFP
I guess it depends on how it's presented. Most art pieces I've seen that go for pure emotion are of the knee-jerk variety. A piece that comes to mind is "Piss Christ" where a crucifix was submerged in a jar of urine. I find this kind of emotional art a load of crap.

To me the best emotional pieces are the ones you have to think about first. Only after you soak it all in does the emotion settle on you. Picasso's "Guernica" is a prime example of this.

That said, I would say "invoke thought" or "invoke thought that creates emotion".

I'll have to agree with what was said. Though I think emotions and thought-provoking art differs in the kind of art that is presented to an individual. Having said that, I'm personally interested in poetry. This differs though in how the poet writes. Coz there's a thought provoking poem and also one that's deep enough to make you feel first. But okay I guess I do go for emotion lol.

Grr it's hard. Simply put. Lol.