• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Fe] Art that invokes emotion or art that invokes thought?

Rail Tracer

Freaking Ratchet
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Both.

Art with thought brings form.

Art with emotion brings life.

KDude

Thought mostly. When it comes to art that invokes emotion, it's usually very unspoken and not explicit. So I guess it's emotional, but it's emotion for no particular reason. Like music especially. I don't even know half of the lyrics of songs I like, but sometimes just sound of music is a trip and gets you soaring. I'm one of those people who geeks out on guitar and saxaphone solos more than the words of songs. When it comes to visual art, I might be low brow compared to "art crowds". I still like classical forms. One of my favorite artists is Frank Frazetta. He's more famous among comic book and fantasy fans. He just captures "motion" and action well. Everything seems to be alive in his paintings. Sea Witch. It has no "message", other than being badass looking (he's famous for his Conan stuff, especially).

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If I have a strong reaction to it, it's usually both.

I would say with music, I lean a bit more heavily toward emotion. With literature, a bit more toward thought. Visual arts (I'm mainly a fan of classic European painting, ie. at least a hundred years old) can have particular success in combining both. Although in a way it's strange I would say that, because I relate less to the visual arts than to music or literature.

KDude

On a sidenote, I read in Thomson's book that she thinks comic book shops are practically populated with ISTPs and ISFPs. And that a lot of ISTPs like video games or work in industries that let them fanatasize about stuff that they couldn't get away with otherwise (like special effects departments). That was funny to hear, considering the stereotypes that go around.

Not that it has much to do with art, but it's kind of related.

If I have a strong reaction to it, it's usually both.

I would say with music, I lean a bit more heavily toward emotion. With literature, a bit more toward thought. Visual arts (I'm mainly a fan of classic European painting, ie. at least a hundred years old) can have particular success in combining both. Although in a way it's strange I would say that, because I relate less to the visual arts than to music or literature.

I like classical art too (especially the renaissance), but it was kind of what was trying to say about liking classical forms in fantasy/comic books too. Classical forms are alive and well, but mostly in those genres. I highly recommend the documentary "Painting With Fire". Check it out. Probably the most unpretentious art film you'll see.

SilkRoad

Lay the coin on my tongue
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
On a sidenote, I read in Thomson's book that she thinks comic book shops are practically populated with ISTPs and ISFPs. And that a lot of ISTPs like video games or work in industries that let them fanatasize about stuff that they couldn't get away with otherwise (like special effects departments). That was funny to hear, considering the stereotypes that go around.

Not that it has much to do with art, but it's kind of related.

I like classical art too (especially the renaissance), but it was kind of what was trying to say about liking classical forms in fantasy/comic books too. Classical forms are alive and well, but mostly in those genres. I highly recommend the documentary "Painting With Fire". Check it out. Probably the most unpretentious art film you'll see.

I have an escapist streak, though it doesn't take the form of comic books. I'm a fairly down-to-earth person, but I love fantasy (though I'm picky), heroes, Arthurian legend, pre-Raphaelite painting...etc. Thanks for the recommend.

lunalum

Super Senior Member
MBTI Type
ZNTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have to choose one?

Thought, I suppose. Emotion is fleeting.... but then thoughts are pretty fleeting too, there is more to play with with thoughts though.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Emotion.

In fact, I wouldn't actually consider 'art' that only or primarily provokes thought, and not emotion, to be art at all. :shrug:

wolfy

awsm
My favourite art forms are film and music. Film is more about thought, music is more about feel and emotion. But there is a mix. If I had to choose, I'd choose emotion.

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like art that inspires a sense of awe and wonder. Not sure if that's more emotion or thought but probably both.