User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Both.

Art with thought brings form.

Art with emotion brings life.

Thought mostly. When it comes to art that invokes emotion, it's usually very unspoken and not explicit. So I guess it's emotional, but it's emotion for no particular reason. Like music especially. I don't even know half of the lyrics of songs I like, but sometimes just sound of music is a trip and gets you soaring. I'm one of those people who geeks out on guitar and saxaphone solos more than the words of songs. When it comes to visual art, I might be low brow compared to "art crowds". I still like classical forms. One of my favorite artists is Frank Frazetta. He's more famous among comic book and fantasy fans. He just captures "motion" and action well. Everything seems to be alive in his paintings. Sea Witch. It has no "message", other than being badass looking (he's famous for his Conan stuff, especially).

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Music, poetry, film: emotion
    most other kinds of art, most times: thought

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

If I have a strong reaction to it, it's usually both.

I would say with music, I lean a bit more heavily toward emotion. With literature, a bit more toward thought. Visual arts (I'm mainly a fan of classic European painting, ie. at least a hundred years old) can have particular success in combining both. Although in a way it's strange I would say that, because I relate less to the visual arts than to music or literature.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

On a sidenote, I read in Thomson's book that she thinks comic book shops are practically populated with ISTPs and ISFPs. And that a lot of ISTPs like video games or work in industries that let them fanatasize about stuff that they couldn't get away with otherwise (like special effects departments). That was funny to hear, considering the stereotypes that go around.

Not that it has much to do with art, but it's kind of related.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkRoad View Post
    If I have a strong reaction to it, it's usually both.

I would say with music, I lean a bit more heavily toward emotion. With literature, a bit more toward thought. Visual arts (I'm mainly a fan of classic European painting, ie. at least a hundred years old) can have particular success in combining both. Although in a way it's strange I would say that, because I relate less to the visual arts than to music or literature.
    I like classical art too (especially the renaissance), but it was kind of what was trying to say about liking classical forms in fantasy/comic books too. Classical forms are alive and well, but mostly in those genres. I highly recommend the documentary "Painting With Fire". Check it out. Probably the most unpretentious art film you'll see.

Lay the coin on my tongue SilkRoad's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    On a sidenote, I read in Thomson's book that she thinks comic book shops are practically populated with ISTPs and ISFPs. And that a lot of ISTPs like video games or work in industries that let them fanatasize about stuff that they couldn't get away with otherwise (like special effects departments). That was funny to hear, considering the stereotypes that go around.

Not that it has much to do with art, but it's kind of related.

I like classical art too (especially the renaissance), but it was kind of what was trying to say about liking classical forms in fantasy/comic books too. Classical forms are alive and well, but mostly in those genres. I highly recommend the documentary "Painting With Fire". Check it out. Probably the most unpretentious art film you'll see.
    I have an escapist streak, though it doesn't take the form of comic books. I'm a fairly down-to-earth person, but I love fantasy (though I'm picky), heroes, Arthurian legend, pre-Raphaelite painting...etc. Thanks for the recommend.
    Female
    INFJ
    Enneagram 6w5 sp/sx

I DOORSLAMMING

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

I have to choose one?

Thought, I suppose. Emotion is fleeting.... but then thoughts are pretty fleeting too, there is more to play with with thoughts though.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Emotion.

In fact, I wouldn't actually consider 'art' that only or primarily provokes thought, and not emotion, to be art at all.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

My favourite art forms are film and music. Film is more about thought, music is more about feel and emotion. But there is a mix. If I had to choose, I'd choose emotion.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I always cry to Star Wars.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]