User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    isfp

Thought, but in the form of contemplation, not logical reasoning. Art that ONLY invokes an emotional response freaks me out because I hate being emotionally manipulated. But I can choose to contemplate a piece of art for as long as I want to.

Sarah

MBTI
    IXFP

I guess it depends on how it's presented. Most art pieces I've seen that go for pure emotion are of the knee-jerk variety. A piece that comes to mind is "Piss Christ" where a crucifix was submerged in a jar of urine. I find this kind of emotional art a load of crap.

To me the best emotional pieces are the ones you have to think about first. Only after you soak it all in does the emotion settle on you. Picasso's "Guernica" is a prime example of this.

That said, I would say "invoke thought" or "invoke thought that creates emotion".
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr Seuss

MBTI
    isfp

When it comes to music, then I go for emotion. Songs that create thought usually have some profound lyrics, no? I usually don't care about lyrics that much, unless they're really good.
    When it comes to other types of art, the best ones are the ones that invoke both, but if I had to choose, I'd say thought. Usually, at least for me, if there's thought, some emotion comes with it too.

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I think the invocation of emotion or thought has more to do with the process the artist uses to create the art than it has to do with its effect on me. As to art that evokes emotion or thought, if I could only have one, it would probably be that of emotion. As illustrated by the annoying, anal hairsplitting I just did there, I've got that "thought" thing going on all the time, whether I want to or not. But anything that can pull raw, genuine emotion from me without it being strangled by relentless rational analysis is a good thing.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    isfp

Martoon, that's the most frightening avatar I've seen in my life.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nillerz View Post
    Which do you prefer?
    I don't look at Art so I can think,
    so I guess it must be feeling.

Emotion. I want to feel it.

[YOUTUBE="sDW6vkuqGLg"]Finger Pointing to the Moon - Bruce Lee[/YOUTUBE]

figsfiggyfigs

Emotion. That would make me think.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

curiosity and a sense of being there... I like landscapes and the more realistic the better... if I can hear the water or the birds or feel the sunshine and wind then it is a proper painting... I don't want to see a pretty picture, I want the sense that I really AM there I want to wonder what's behind that sand dune if I cross it or why the cow doesn't want to cross the water or why everyone is gathering to trade on the beach on such a cold and dreary day... if the picture can't evoke that I'll probably walk on by it for something better
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Chukamok View Post
    I guess it depends on how it's presented. Most art pieces I've seen that go for pure emotion are of the knee-jerk variety. A piece that comes to mind is "Piss Christ" where a crucifix was submerged in a jar of urine. I find this kind of emotional art a load of crap.

To me the best emotional pieces are the ones you have to think about first. Only after you soak it all in does the emotion settle on you. Picasso's "Guernica" is a prime example of this.

That said, I would say "invoke thought" or "invoke thought that creates emotion".
    I'll have to agree with what was said. Though I think emotions and thought-provoking art differs in the kind of art that is presented to an individual. Having said that, I'm personally interested in poetry. This differs though in how the poet writes. Coz there's a thought provoking poem and also one that's deep enough to make you feel first. But okay I guess I do go for emotion lol.

Grr it's hard. Simply put. Lol.