• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] ISTP and ENTJ confusion

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Well I got to know now some MBTI personalities step-by-step. The majority of them, I still dont know.

Some question here, if you would hypothetically compare an ISTP with an ENTJ. What could be significant differences in their style of apperance and acting ?

Wont say more at this point, I want your pure opinion, if you have one :D. And thx in advance

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
ENTJ = looks at candy bar and contemplates how he might use the deliciousness of candy bars to assemble a large army to take over a small Asian country

ISTP = just eats the candy bar and gets on with his life

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Ok, I will give you something more, guess otherwise the question goes in the wrong direction.

See my dad is around 50 years old, I wildely guess. He is a plumper and because of that I automatically typed him ISTP. But I came to think about that and I think, I havent gave that enough thought. The problem is my parents are "stuck in a rut" (guess that's the way of naming it) for about 30 years. They have their things, they do their things and they love it. So that is my point of view. (you probably can hear out some entp frustration)

The thing is I do not think he is ISTP, I think he is ENTJ. I just lack the information to correctly assert that because he is not the man likely to give away information.

He runs his own business for exactly 25 years now and he does everything by himself (except his ten foot tall son is helping). He had 2 employees but one cheated him and the other, he only drilled and then the guy joined another company.

The thing is, my dad is so determined. Like a Te thing. He is dedicated to the job. He always was towards everything in his life. He is no unsensible person and he is very good with people, to attract new contracts and just recently he started getting intrested in new kinds of technology like solar energy and he does make money with it. That makes him an ENTJ, from my PoV.

On the other hand, he is the most practical man ever. He likes to speculate surely but he is better at practical issues. He is a man of integrity and his whole being radiates competency, when it comes to his job. Does that suffice to make him ISTP ?

The two most things I know for sure are that he is easily hurt, when it comes to his family doing him wrong (he has a lot of issues with my dumb uncles and I have also).
And the other thing is that he most of the times has all the qualities of a big child. Something I would give a p credit for.

Maybe you can do something with that information.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Does that suffice to make him ISTP ?

No... and put even more strongly, not at all. Job selection is not a good indicator, really, without taking into account a great many more personal factors, and the style in which they do the job.

I don't know enough to type him, but given what you say, ENTJ strongly outweighs ISTP (although ESTJ doesn't sound out of place here.)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yes I think I do know too. I clearly need to reevaluate that whole family thing. My mum definitly ISFJ would fit in a pairing with a ENTJ. But if it's ENTJ or ESTJ I dont know either.

Have to rethink that.

Thx for your input

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
What do you mean by "plumper"? :huh:

Jack Flak

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Being that you're considering two very different types, and apparently not others, I would suggest that you work on the individual preferences such as I/E.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
yes, but you have to consider too that I lack understanding of the SJ and SP temperament. Therefore we can skip this part and concentrate on individual preferences

alicia91

I'm an ISTP married for 17 years to an ENTJ. The main difference comes down to one word = EGO. :yes:

I don't know enough ISTPs and ENTJs to make general statements so I can only speak about us. The main differences for us are level of extraversion and his huge ego and domineering style. I'm a weak S and he's a weak N so I don't notice huge differences there and in terms of problem solving we are very similar and have low thresholds for bullsh_t and are fairly cut and dry about life. He has really well developed Se so we both like many of the same activities. If you asked him, he would tell you that we are quite similar - though I may not agree with that! Just thought I'd give you a more personal viewpoint.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Thanks, I appreciate that. The things you talked about are exactly those things that made me unsure, if it's ENTJ or ISTP. He has alot of qualities of the ENTJ, like his dedication to his work that goes this far that there werent really much topics within our family besides the work.

But he is no domeneering persons, on the contrary, he is a nice man with a big mouth but he has his things and knows them and he will never go into arguement with you. I at least never were able to get him into arguement :). He rather stalls away keeping his mouth. He does have the attitude that its best to say not too much and to look not that bright to be not feared by others. (Dont know if thats a trait of his generation)

I managed so far to think that he is indeed ENTJ and I am judging them wrong to the extent that I think they need to be evil patrons, to be able to be typed as ENTJ.

"?"

MBTI Type
TiSe
Thanks, I appreciate that. The things you talked about are exactly those things that made me unsure, if it's ENTJ or ISTP. He has alot of qualities of the ENTJ, like his dedication to his work that goes this far that there werent really much topics within our family besides the work.

But he is no domeneering persons, on the contrary, he is a nice man with a big mouth but he has his things and knows them and he will never go into arguement with you. I at least never were able to get him into arguement :). He rather stalls away keeping his mouth. He does have the attitude that its best to say not too much and to look not that bright to be not feared by others. (Dont know if thats a trait of his generation)

I managed so far to think that he is indeed ENTJ and I am judging them wrong to the extent that I think they need to be evil patrons, to be able to be typed as ENTJ.
I am in agreement with Pgats that you are still not providing sufficient information to determine his type. What you are providing are mere job related scenarios that could have created a superficial type based on your erroneous understanding of ISTP. Dedication to work does not define any type that enjoys what they do. Why does he enjoy this type of work is it because he allows him freedom to come and go, is it because he enjoys being of service, could it be that he enjoys the problem solving.

I would think that an ENTJ would be about building a one man or small operation into a large company then selling it and finding another venture. I am not sure why you picked the two types exclusively, but if you are considering ISTP merely for his choice of work then the job does not determine the man. He could be ESTP or any introverted type. Does he have a large number of acquaintances?

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
I am in agreement with Pgats that you are still not providing sufficient information to determine his type. What you are providing are mere job related scenarios that could have created a superficial type based on your erroneous understanding of ISTP. Dedication to work does not define any type that enjoys what they do. Why does he enjoy this type of work is it because he allows him freedom to come and go, is it because he enjoys being of service, could it be that he enjoys the problem solving.

I would think that an ENTJ would be about building a one man or small operation into a large company then selling it and finding another venture. I am not sure why you picked the two types exclusively, but if you are considering ISTP merely for his choice of work then the job does not determine the man. He could be ESTP or any introverted type. Does he have a large number of acquaintances?

Sorry, I feel it difficult to provide people with detailed information, but I still want to answer my question so, I will try:

Dedication to work does not define any type that enjoys what they do. Why does he enjoy this type of work is it because he allows him freedom to come and go, is it because he enjoys being of service, could it be that he enjoys the problem solving.

He absolutely enjoys his work yes. It's the atmosphere you have there under the craftsman he likes. They are all a great buddymanship with their on pervert sense of humor :D. He loves the job and he is a perfectionist, what be builds will work, you can bet on that.

I would think that an ENTJ would be about building a one man or small operation into a large company then selling it and finding another venture.

Yes and he is mostly into when it comes to finances. He made some money with financial dealings. He is a master of transfering liquids from one account to the other and he often implies that would have loved to study economics. Sometimes thought of him as an ISTJ, but this would be again confirmation biased.

He mainly talks about money, not details of his work. So compared with a typical mechanic for example, he is more to be the atypical one. The storehouse of information he has about his work related things, he never presents to the outside. In recent times he confronted me with new inventions in his sector and gave me insight into technical data. I guess that's because I am an engineer now. But before that, he never did that.

Money though was always a huge issue in my whole childhood. Very sadly that it were so, but I developed freely and wasnt bothered by it to a harmful extent, so its ok.

He always says, if there would be someone, who would buy his company for enough money, he will sign the contract and sell it. So this is another indicator in the ENTJ direction to me.

He has problems to get new customers at the moment and even though his company is not in danger, he constantly complains about it. He could run this way securely for the next 10 years and then goes to retirement, having left enough money. But instead he looks for new ways to find customers, invests in new talents, he fears the lack of wealth more than to see that he is absolutely caught in his wake. And even he is a century away from loosing his company, he still complains about it, not giving the money he wants. (And that year he make the same money like the last year, only the last 2 months now were bad, but he projects that on everything, "the ship is doomned now" :D).

I am not sure why you picked the two types exclusively, but if you are considering ISTP merely for his choice of work then the job does not determine the man.

Yes I am sorry. I know one guy I would type istp for sure and he is that practical craftsman. No job he really can not do and he pays proud in it. They are not all this way, I know, I just know to few of them yet. So I tend to misjudge that's true.

He could be ESTP or any introverted type. Does he have a large number of acquaintances?

Of ESTP's I again really do now nothing and I even cant picture them in my mind. So I guess, the answer is: I dont know.

JClassic

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well I got to know now some MBTI personalities step-by-step. The majority of them, I still dont know.

Some question here, if you would hypothetically compare an ISTP with an ENTJ. What could be significant differences in their style of apperance and acting ?

Wont say more at this point, I want your pure opinion, if you have one :D. And thx in advance

Right now I am dating an ISTP, and I am an ENTJ. The differences I noticed is that they are more impulsive, and horrible planners. She seems to be very clean, which is probally her sensory side. She is also very flighty it seems, well at least so far. ENTJ's tend to be messy as they do not focus on the present. We have an amazing relationship so far, not sure why.

Poki

MBTI Type
STP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I don't have the determination an ENTJ does, nor do I want it.

Look at principles. EJ are very principle based and IP are erythromycin situation based. Principles while they may be more logical based on the principle, are not when based on the situation. They have a detached nature from what is and is attached to what they think. We are more attached to what is and not as much what we think. Sounds strange, but that's how Te vs Ti appears externally.

Extroverting thought vs introverting it. Te introverting certain thoughts cause them to want to explode. Ti we have to make the conscious effort to explode and extrovert

Carpe Vinum

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have a lot of stereotypical ISTP hobbies. I ride a motorcycle, snowboard, like to build... but honestly, I'm jealous as shit of ISTPs.

I love speed and the adrenaline that goes with it. But where I get a rush doing 75 MPH on the freeway, you guys are fucking Evil-Kinevil jumping a canyon or something.

And while I'm proud to say I can change my own brake pads, ISTPs are like, "Level loading on Call of Duty. Bored...time to change brake pads. Done. Level starting. Let's go!!!"

Fuck, that's some awesome shit. Don't be modest about it. Come on ISTPs. You know it's who you are.