• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ESTP] a question for ESTP's

Penguin

MBTI Type
ENTP
i have an ESTP friend, actually he is my first and oldest friend, and vice versa.
now, I get along very well with him, but its a strange friendship, the S-N chasm is the greatest rift, but ironically i get along so well with him simply because he is an S and i am N
but what I want to know, do ESTP's see in friends a simple means of having some fun/laughs? Or is it something deeper?
Why I am asking this is because the ESTP once cut of a very good (from what i could see) friendship with someone else, simply because the other person chose a life style that prohibited them having as much 'fun' as they did before.
is this a common trend? OR is it something that is generated on the S-N differences (i suspect the other guy was an N)?

me_plus_one

MBTI Type
ESTP
I don't think that such a behavioral pattern can be related to a type.

However, if I were to answer your question, based on my personal experience, ESTP's don't only find in friendships the means of having fun or of getting something.

My guess is that there was something more that caused your friend to cut that so called friendship than the fact that it did not provide that much fun. But, probably, a more important reason, not necessarily the S-N differences, which probably are irrelevant.

Secondly, you should question the fact that your friend really considered the other person his friend.

In a nutshell, I do believe that types are not pertinent to this matter. And not in any case the S/N dichotomy. And yes, ESTP's have feelings too, and yes, they do value friendships for more than the fun/laughs.

lorkan

MBTI Type
INFJ
Hmm nice, an ESTP active. I might have some questions myself soon :)

mwv6r

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
My fiance is a male ESTP and what the original poster describes is him to a T. He has one very close friend (an ISFJ) who he would go to the ends of the earth for and who he has made an effort to keep in close touch with even after losing touch with most of his childhood friends, BUT then he has a million "activity partner" friends who he does not make any effort to keep in contact with if situations change (e.g., someone moves, job change, no longer in his b-ball league, etc.).

That said, in my limited experience with ESTP women I find that they tend to make more effort to sustain friendships.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My fiance is a male ESTP and what the original poster describes is him to a T. He has one very close friend (an ISFJ) who he would go to the ends of the earth for and who he has made an effort to keep in close touch with even after losing touch with most of his childhood friends, BUT then he has a million "activity partner" friends who he does not make any effort to keep in contact with if situations change (e.g., someone moves, job change, no longer in his b-ball league, etc.).
Sounds like me (ISTJ) and one of my best friends (ESTP).

Unique

I have some very close friends which are more than just fun/laughs. that said If a friend chooses a path where we can no longer be friends, like as you said a major change in their lifestyle than I'm obviously not going to go out of my way to see them.